JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
boolean (Offline)
New to JF

Feedback on my itiniary and question about Kyushu - 08-27-2009, 11:08 PM

I'm visiting Japan for the first time next week. I'll be there between Sep 2 - 15.
I bought a 1 week JR Pass. Please check out my itinerary here. Is this trip doable? My one week JR pass is kind of preventing me visiting Kyushu Island. Should I add Kyushu to my trip or should I spend more no-rush time in Kansai area?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

08-27-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boolean View Post
I'm visiting Japan for the first time next week. I'll be there between Sep 2 - 15.
I bought a 1 week JR Pass. Please check out my itinerary here. Is this trip doable? My one week JR pass is kind of preventing me visiting Kyushu Island. Should I add Kyushu to my trip or should I spend more no-rush time in Kansai area?
13 days will be difficult to cover Kyushu. I would spend more time in Kyoto/Osaka and less time in Tokyo. For example, Akihbara and Shinjuku combined won't really last you a full day, unless you really start your day late and do a lot of shopping.

What are you interested in seeing? I notice that you make a brief stop in Kyoto first then back track again. I think, if I was given 13 days this is how i will do it

Day 1 - Travel to Hiroshima
Day 2 - Day trip to Miyajima
Day 3 - Switch base to Osaka, Aquarium
Day 4 - Kobe, Dotonbori,
Day 5 - Free day at Osaka
Day 6 - Kyoto
Day 7 - Kyoto
Day 8 - Nara
Day 9 - Atami or Hakone for Onsen
Day 10 - Yokohama
Day 11-13 - Tokyo area
(#3 (permalink))
Old
boolean (Offline)
New to JF

08-28-2009, 12:03 AM

Thank you for the suggestion.
I want to experience the both traditional and modern sides of Japan. However visiting too many temples and shrines will probably bore me. I want to have a good mix of tradition(temples, shrines, geisha), history(Hiroshima and museums), modern city(Tokyo, Osaka, night life), and nature(hiking, Onsen).

I like your suggested schedule, however I'm not sure if 1 week JR pass will do it. 2 week pass is 200cad$ more expensive, and I won't be able to afford it. I'm trying to keep my budget minimum as I'll be flying from Tokyo to Seoul to travel Korea.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

08-28-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Less rush time in the Kansai area, definitely. So much to see.

Have a great trip

Cheers - Oz
(#5 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

08-28-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the suggestion.
I want to experience the both traditional and modern sides of Japan. However visiting too many temples and shrines will probably bore me. I want to have a good mix of tradition(temples, shrines, geisha), history(Hiroshima and museums), modern city(Tokyo, Osaka, night life), and nature(hiking, Onsen).

I like your suggested schedule, however I'm not sure if 1 week JR pass will do it. 2 week pass is 200cad$ more expensive, and I won't be able to afford it. I'm trying to keep my budget minimum as I'll be flying from Tokyo to Seoul to travel Korea.
Ok, so limit your stay in Kyoto to 1 night and visit just 2/3 temple shrine. Kiyomizu is a must. Then the night life you can get from Osaka. Get your 1 week pass and start it, then go to hiroshima, by the end of the 7th day, make sure you are in Tokyo already and you are done really....

Something like this

Day 1 - Travel to Hiroshima
Day 2 - Day trip to Miyajima
Day 3 - Switch base to Osaka, Aquarium
Day 4 - Kobe, Dotonbori,
Day 5 - Kyoto
Day 6 - Nara
Day 7 - Tokyo
Day 8 - Day trip to Yokohama
Day 9 - Day trip to Hakone and go see Fuji
Day 10 -13 - Tokyo
(#6 (permalink))
Old
boolean (Offline)
New to JF

Thanks - 09-29-2009, 12:24 PM

I want to thank you all for helping me building my itinerary. I just came back from Japan and Korea and had amazing time in both countries. I made a video of my trip, check it out here.