JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
moosh (Offline)
New to JF

Kyoto <-> Tokyo - 09-18-2009, 12:04 AM

Hi, me and a group of friends are planning to visit Kyoto as well as Tokyo this winter break. Some of us have been to Tokyo before and have seen many of the tourists sights; temples, shopping districts, and whatnot. What we're curious about are the small local sights that we would not otherwise find in a tour guide book. For example, we heard of this restaurant where the waiters dress like trannies and flirt with the customers. That sounds really entertaining and we're looking to find more weird things of that nature! Any recommendations?

Cheap flights/hotel pointers would be nice as well.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-18-2009, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosh View Post
Hi, me and a group of friends are planning to visit Kyoto as well as Tokyo this winter break. Some of us have been to Tokyo before and have seen many of the tourists sights; temples, shopping districts, and whatnot. What we're curious about are the small local sights that we would not otherwise find in a tour guide book. For example, we heard of this restaurant where the waiters dress like trannies and flirt with the customers. That sounds really entertaining and we're looking to find more weird things of that nature! Any recommendations?

Cheap flights/hotel pointers would be nice as well.
There are probably 1000 of those....it sounds like you are talking about a "new half bar".

New Half is Japanese for "transsexual" and they don't dress like transsexuals...they ARE transsexuals.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
moosh (Offline)
New to JF

09-18-2009, 12:45 AM

Oh seriously? I never saw one while I was there. Then again I wasn't looking for them. What other unusual businesses are there?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-18-2009, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosh View Post
Oh seriously? I never saw one while I was there. Then again I wasn't looking for them. What other unusual businesses are there?
Right...it wouldn't be something that was next to a temple or school.

You might like the Gyoza Museum in Ikebukuro, Tokyo.