JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Exclamation Comfortable bathing in public? - 09-21-2009, 02:54 AM

One of the things I found most awkward in Japan was bathing publicly.

It was completely disturbing. Not because I was embarrassed, but because the way I was treated by other, err, bathers.

I was literally yelled at for getting the tatami mat wet, and not properly drying before stepping on in it -- and of course I got some weird stares (being that I'm such an attractive American ). People take their public bath houses very seriously in Japan, especially when you're a gaijin.

Another time I was stripped naked by an elderly Japanese woman (the owner of the establishment). She was seriously, 4'6'' or 4'7'', 110 pounds, and had to have been close to 85. My travel-mates were laughing, but she was pretty aggressive. I'm not sure was she was hurrying me up so much, as the place was pretty empty at the time. Maybe I was stinky, lol.

Eventually I found some beautiful places that were actually quite relaxing. I met some really cool people at a bathing house in Kyoto, and it ended up being one of my best travel experiences.

Weird how things work out like that.

Anyone else have any input?

-EDIT-
Has anyone tried the electric bath?

Last edited by burkhartdesu : 09-21-2009 at 03:05 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
trunker (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-21-2009, 06:52 AM

i'm still not used to it here.

but like yourself, i had my best japan moment last winter, up in hokkaido at an outside pool watching the snow fall. all i needed was a couple saru bringing me sake and it would have been perfect.

and a fat naked russian dude kept disrupting my moment by parading up and down in my field of view.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
AsianAtHeart (Offline)
Linguist in training

09-21-2009, 07:41 AM

When I went on my student exchange to Japan, I had two days of literally doing nothing but eating, sleeping, and touring Onsens in Akita Prefecture, where I was staying.

I found it extremely awkward, but for some reason, it felt completely natural at the same time, all the old Japanese ladies didn't seem to really care that I was there.....when I seriously expected something to happen since I was staying up in the countryside where people aren't used to foreign people. The onsen at summer camp is a different story....

The only thing I didn't really like was the smell. It didn't smell like people relaxing in clean water, it smelled like people bathing in hot, dirty pool water that was sitting there for two weeks with no pool-boy, which in turn caused me to wake up twice in the middle of the night feeling like I was gonna puke my guts out.

Last edited by AsianAtHeart : 09-21-2009 at 07:47 AM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
09-21-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhartdesu View Post
I was literally yelled at for getting the tatami mat wet, and not properly drying before stepping on in it -- and of course I got some weird stares (being that I'm such an attractive American ). People take their public bath houses very seriously in Japan, especially when you're a gaijin.
That had nothing to do with you being a gaikokujin. It had more to do with you getting the tatami mat wet and not properly drying before stepping on it. Next time read the sign. And yeah, they take it pretty seriously, especially if they're there to relax, want a neat and clean environment (dry tatami), or are elderly. The elderly are serious about EVERYTHING.

Also,
Quote:
and of course I got some weird stares (being that I'm such an attractive American ).
....no. Probably got weird stares cuz you were DOING IT RONG.
自分で言うな。

Quote:
Another time I was stripped naked by an elderly Japanese woman (the owner of the establishment). She was seriously, 4'6'' or 4'7'', 110 pounds, and had to have been close to 85.
That's pretty hot, man. Did you pay her?

Quote:
-EDIT-
Has anyone tried the electric bath?
That sounds like instant DEATH. Where did you see one?

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#5 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

09-21-2009, 09:49 AM

Loved it..

I used to take a Public Bath at Coganoi Bay Hotel, Wakayama.

They have a lovely one in the front garden and the last time I enjoyed this was with a lovely lady who I did not know.

She was totally naked, and actually got out of the bath stark naked, and stood talking to me. It felt very good

Cheers - Oz
(#6 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

09-21-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkai View Post
Loved it..

I used to take a Public Bath at Coganoi Bay Hotel, Wakayama.

They have a lovely one in the front garden and the last time I enjoyed this was with a lovely lady who I did not know.

She was totally naked, and actually got out of the bath stark naked, and stood talking to me. It felt very good
Oz, you're a pimp and I love you.

I'm looking for some decent co-ed onsen...
Actually I really wanna go to Wakayama, so maybe I'll check this place out!

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#7 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

09-21-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJ View Post
Oz, you're a pimp and I love you.

I'm looking for some decent co-ed onsen...
Actually I really wanna go to Wakayama, so maybe I'll check this place out!

Thanks man

The hotel itself was very nice. try to get a top floor. By memory, we bargauined the price to 12,000YEN a night.. Not cheap but well worth the top comfort.

It has a seperate male and female bath down below, but the small garden bath is fantastic, especially at night..

The JP ladies won't mind a bit, and you may even land one back to your room

Wakayama is full of Onsen places..

We mainly used to travel as it was quite short from Kyoto.. You in Osaka have less travel time..

Rent a car and treat yourself..

That Wakayama Bay area gives a nice view and the locals are so friendly..

Treat yourself to this hotel, and pay the extra for the TV adult channels

Cheers - Oz
(#8 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

09-21-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks man

The hotel itself was very nice. try to get a top floor. By memory, we bargauined the price to 12,000YEN a night.. Not cheap but well worth the top comfort.

It has a seperate male and female bath down below, but the small garden bath is fantastic, especially at night..

The JP ladies won't mind a bit, and you may even land one back to your room

Wakayama is full of Onsen places..

We mainly used to travel as it was quite short from Kyoto.. You in Osaka have less travel time..

Rent a car and treat yourself..

That Wakayama Bay area gives a nice view and the locals are so friendly..

Treat yourself to this hotel, and pay the extra for the TV adult channels
Your'e the king! haha

Forgot to mention I was looking for a co-ed onsen since my galfriend brought it up the other day. She's not freaky or anything, she just wants to relax together (*snicker*). I'll check that place out.

I would rent a car except I'm still terrified of the whole "everything's on the left, and the driver's side is on the right" thing. (From America) I have my international driver's license (gonna switch over to a JP license with everything gets sorted out) but I'm scared to use it. I really would wanna rent a scooter or something

..what was this thread about again?

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#9 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

09-21-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJ View Post
Your'e the king! haha

Forgot to mention I was looking for a co-ed onsen since my galfriend brought it up the other day. She's not freaky or anything, she just wants to relax together (*snicker*). I'll check that place out.

I would rent a car except I'm still terrified of the whole "everything's on the left, and the driver's side is on the right" thing. (From America) I have my international driver's license (gonna switch over to a JP license with everything gets sorted out) but I'm scared to use it. I really would wanna rent a scooter or something

..what was this thread about again?
Rent that car and go
ToCoo! Travel ---Car Rental Service in Japan---

Cheers - Oz
(#10 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

09-21-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Oh man they have the new model of the Mazda 3, the one I had back in America... and the fact that I can rent an RX-8 makes me just wanna drop my pants here and now for no reason. I'm THAT excited.

Thanks for the link!

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。