JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Lyulf (Offline)
New to JF

How Much for a 2 Week Trip to Japan? - 10-02-2009, 04:10 AM

I am trying to plan a trip to Japan for 2 weeks in November of 2010. I want to know how much I would have to save weekly for me to go on the trip. The only problem is I have no idea how much it would cost for a 2 week trip to Japan.

So far I have found that a plane ticket will cost $800-$1000, and that I would likely need to buy a JR pass(about $505). Some places I would like to visit are Tokyo, Nikko, Osaka, Kyoto, Mount Koya, Hiroshima, Nara, and Miyajima

I would rather stay in hotels, and I don't want to live entirely on 7-11. Can anyone give me a rough estimate as to what the hotels,food,etc... would cost for a two week trip?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
10-02-2009, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyulf View Post
I am trying to plan a trip to Japan for 2 weeks in November of 2010. I want to know how much I would have to save weekly for me to go on the trip. The only problem is I have no idea how much it would cost for a 2 week trip to Japan.

So far I have found that a plane ticket will cost $800-$1000, and that I would likely need to buy a JR pass(about $505). Some places I would like to visit are Tokyo, Nikko, Osaka, Kyoto, Mount Koya, Hiroshima, Nara, and Miyajima

I would rather stay in hotels, and I don't want to live entirely on 7-11. Can anyone give me a rough estimate as to what the hotels,food,etc... would cost for a two week trip?
Maybe a grand if you really wanna live it up. Also, start over in the west and work your way east, if you wanna visit ALL those cities.

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-02-2009, 04:26 AM

I would budget my trip day-by-day. If you are traveling by yourself, food should be about 2000 yen per day. 2000 yen is enough for a couple of restaurant meals each day (in less expensive or fast-food places).

Hotel rates very widely depending on the location and kind of room you like. As a ballpark figure, I would budget 5000 yen per day for hotels. That brings you up to about 7000 yen per day.

Since you'll have the JR pass, you won't have to worry about most transportation costs. But the trains don't go everywhere, you may have to take a trip or two by bus or even boat. Local bus fare runs from 200 yen to 500 yen, depending on the distance, highway buses (which you probably won't get a chance to use) run from 1500 yen to 5000 yen.

To be on the safe side, I would budget about 10,000 yen per day, and try to spend as little as possible. If you do it right, you should have enough money to visit a resort or two, and buy some gifts and souvenirs.

As a precaution, you should get travel insurance. If you are purchasing your airline tickets with a credit card, insurance may already be included as one of your card perks. If you can, it would be a good idea to get an airline credit card which is branded by the airline you intend to use for your trip. This will give you good coverage if you need to cancel your trip, lose your luggage, or have to deal with delays/canceled flights and other travel-related mishaps.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-02-2009, 04:38 AM

I would say take Sangetsu's advice, then add about 30% for insurance.

I think 2000 a day for meals is a little meager...you'll want to splurge at least sometimes on a spendier meal, and I have easily spent 5000 yen or more just for my portion at some izakayas or yakinuku places. (And worth every yen!)
(#5 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

10-02-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I would say take Sangetsu's advice, then add about 30% for insurance.

I think 2000 a day for meals is a little meager...you'll want to splurge at least sometimes on a spendier meal, and I have easily spent 5000 yen or more just for my portion at some izakayas or yakinuku places. (And worth every yen!)

Second that... I have a 4 weeks trip coming up this october with my wife, we paid for MOST of our stuff already, and with a very optimistic estimate, the finaly number comes out to be about 10K (Canadian) for the 4 weeks.. and that does NOT include any non essential purchases (For me essential will be like hotel, food, transportation.. admission fee etc)
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Lyulf (Offline)
New to JF

10-02-2009, 07:05 PM

Just wanted to say thank you for all of the advice. I'm going to budget about 13000-16000 yen a day so I think I should be fine. In total I want to save $4000 for the trip and another $500-$1000 in case of an emergency.

I have a few more questions, but I didn't want to start a new thread. How much would a Kobe beef dinner cost in Kobe? I want to save money specifically for a dinner in Kobe, but I can't find the prices for a dinner. Any help would be nice.

Also what are some good sites where I can take a look at different travel insurance policies/rates? Or are there any travel insurance that you would recommend to me.

My final question is when would be the best time to go in November?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
jounouchix (Offline)
New to JF

10-02-2009, 10:24 PM

どのくらいアメリカ合衆国ドルで1000円ですか?
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
10-03-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jounouchix View Post
どのくらいアメリカ合衆国ドルで1000円ですか?
that would be around 1000yen = 11 US $

see here Currency Converter for 164 Currencies

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#9 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-03-2009, 05:54 PM

Re : Kobe Beef dinner

Here's a restaurant I'd highly recommend. It's located minutes from Sannomiya station and it's a place my friend (who's spent her whole life in Kobe) took me to last November. The only problem is that I'm not sure if they have any English speaking staff.

お品書き・御代 -神戸牛のお品-|特選最高級神戸牛 神源

At the very least, you'll get a good idea of the prices by looking at the menu above.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-03-2009, 10:57 PM

I spent roughly $4000 CDN on my two weeks in Tokyo this year. That was airfare, hotel and spending money.