JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Wagamama (Offline)
JF Regular

Your Experience - 10-12-2009, 07:06 AM

Hey people as the title suggests,i would like to know if any here tried their hands at solo-traveling to Japan(if you had a choice would u travel alone to japan again?),i am very interested to find out how was it like,Do share your experiences with me=).

Cheers
(#2 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-12-2009, 08:38 AM

Well, while I was living there, I always traveled alone on my longer trips (9 days through western Japan, 8 days through eastern Japan). On shorter 1 day trips (Nara, Kyoto, Koyasan, Nachi, etc) I often went with other people, except on my manga-hunting trips to the back alley shops in Osaka.

If I were to go back to Japan again, I'd really like to go with someone. None of my friends or family could afford to visit me while I was living there, so I'd like to show them around the country, let them see and experience at least a taste of where I lived.

Did you have some more specific questions about traveling alone? I enjoyed it, it allowed me to keep my own schedule, go where I wanted when I wanted, etc. And Japan is very safe, so I never worried about my safety.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
10-12-2009, 10:05 AM

Please see this thread solo travel?
i answered that same question in there (second page). I travelled alone for 1 year. If you have more questions after reading this feel free to ask.

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MC9876 (Offline)
JF Regular

10-12-2009, 11:13 AM

I am just back from Japan, traveling alone. I had the same doubt, but it was no problem. I stayed in hostels and met a lot of people. Some days I would go alone, seeing and doing things, other times I would go with other people I just met.
I found it very easy to travel alone, and can recommend it!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
utsu (Offline)
JF Regular

10-12-2009, 11:37 AM

I don't like traveling with other people, so for me solo travel (anywhere - around Japan, Europe, South America, etc.) is the only option (unless, it's my husband who's tagging along).
Traveling alone lets you do what you want when you want how you want it.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

10-12-2009, 11:48 AM

Did it many a time. Enjoyed and loved it.

Highly recommended.

Cheers - Oz
(#7 (permalink))
Old
trunker (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-12-2009, 12:04 PM

japan is one of the easiest places to travel solo, and if you have even a basic understanding of japanese, ie "which way to ............." then you'll be fine.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Wagamama (Offline)
JF Regular

10-15-2009, 11:17 AM

yeah thanks for relinking the thread for me,what i seek to find out is,that was the solo travel experience worth the dough(money) for you people who did it personally.I mean theres nothing like being able to share your opinion with somebody,converse etc etc.sure the sights in Japan are awesome but what happens when your back from your day trip ,alone in the hotel
(#9 (permalink))
Old
trunker (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-15-2009, 12:36 PM

ah well thats when it sucks,...

and is probably why people wind up blogging in the first place :P

trust me though, travel hard enough and you'll be so tired and worn out that all you'll want to do is crash.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-15-2009, 02:15 PM

There is something to be said about sharing the experience however I did like the freedom of answering to myself and taking things as they went.

I missed speaking english but with the interenet I was able to "talk" to friends and family.

I also do a LOT of walking which most of my friends aren't fans of