JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
khav515 (Offline)
New to JF

New Years 09/10 Where to be? - 10-18-2009, 10:29 AM

Hello All,
Just signed up to this amazing forum and was hoping to get some good insight and information for my trip!

I will be heading to Japan with my girl friend in December 09 - January 10 period I was hoping for some travel advise and personal experiences in where to be over New Years!

The choices to be is either Osaka or Kyoto as I will be situated around that area.

If anyone could lend us a helping hand in where to be and what to experience will be very helpful in booking my accommodation over the New Years.

Thanks
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-19-2009, 12:10 AM

I'm pretty sure Japan shuts down over New Years, if your looking for something like Times Square your out of luck, many tourist attractions, shops and restaurants are closed, and getting around can be a pain.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-19-2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar View Post
I'm pretty sure Japan shuts down over New Years, if your looking for something like Times Square your out of luck, many tourist attractions, shops and restaurants are closed, and getting around can be a pain.
I have to agree. Unless you know a family in Japan, you will be limited to gaijin bars and temples. New Year's is a family oriented holiday where many shops and businesses close from Jan1 to Jan3.

Kyoto will have events at temples starting at midnight with bell ringing, and foreigners will be hitting the bars in Osaka, so if that helps you decide...