JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
kidkhaos1 (Offline)
New to JF

Question First time in japan.....what to see - 10-20-2009, 12:15 PM

I'm planning a holiday (my first holiday to anywhere outside uk) to japan around jan 14-15 for 10 days. Where do you guys and gals recommend I should go? Also would you recommend that i learn some basic phrases in japnese to make it easier?

,thxs
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Wagamama (Offline)
JF Regular

10-20-2009, 01:48 PM

Wonderful hope u enjoy yourself.For starters,stuff like How much?,How do i get there?,how long?,thank you,welcome,hello etc would be useful.
I was in Tokyo last year december and i highly recommend u visit yokohama and of course there are the standards,Harajuku(fashion),Shinjuku,Akihabara(electronics),Mt Fuji... the list goes on.It really depends on what u wanna accomplish/see/do.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
kidkhaos1 (Offline)
New to JF

10-20-2009, 02:21 PM

whoops really sorry that was rude on my behalf.

hello all

i supposed i should say thankyou at the end of my post, i've gotten so used to saying thxs instead at the end instead, apologises again.

(not being sarcastic genuinely mean it)

Not including flights i say about £1000-1200 for 10 nights would be my budget, i know thats not alot and i probly be staying in hostels but i dont mind. There will be two of us, so the budget is really £2000-2400 for both of us. I've never really been on holiday before but as i choose the destination, i'm supposed to plan the holiday. Thats where i hit a brick wall theres alot to see in japan i havent got the slightest clue of how to pick the best for 10 days .

What i want to see is the culture i.e temples and see some of the packed cities. Right now i've just got mt fuji (never see a mountain in my live would love to see one) ........ thats all.

Thankyou for you ideas i go read up about yokohama, shinjuku and akihabara (not really into fashion myself).

Thanks again
(#4 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-20-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkhaos1 View Post
whoops really sorry that was rude on my behalf.

hello all

i supposed i should say thankyou at the end of my post, i've gotten so used to saying thxs instead at the end instead, apologises again.

(not being sarcastic genuinely mean it)

Not including flights i say about £1000-1200 for 10 nights would be my budget, i know thats not alot and i probly be staying in hostels but i dont mind. There will be two of us, so the budget is really £2000-2400 for both of us. I've never really been on holiday before but as i choose the destination, i'm supposed to plan the holiday. Thats where i hit a brick wall theres alot to see in japan i havent got the slightest clue of how to pick the best for 10 days .

What i want to see is the culture i.e temples and see some of the packed cities. Right now i've just got mt fuji (never see a mountain in my live would love to see one) ........ thats all.

Thankyou for you ideas i go read up about yokohama, shinjuku and akihabara (not really into fashion myself).

Thanks again
That list of Wagamama's was "phrases you might want to learn in Japanese", not "do this while posting"... As in, you might want to learn how to say "How much is this?", "How do I get there?", etc. Still, the extra info you gave does help us figure out what sort of budget and time frame you have to work with.

Personally, I'd say spend no more than 2-3 days in Tokyo. Get out of the city and see the more rural areas, the temples, the mountains, visit an onsen bath, etc.

First thing you should do is get a good guide book, not only to help you plan the trip before you go, but to help find your way around when you get there. I like Lonely Planet Japan myself, but look around a bookstore and see what you like.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#5 (permalink))
Old
kidkhaos1 (Offline)
New to JF

10-20-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
That list of Wagamama's was "phrases you might want to learn in Japanese", not "do this while posting"... As in, you might want to learn how to say "How much is this?", "How do I get there?", etc.
ah well that explains it

Thxs for your suggestions, i'll if i can find the lonely planet
(#6 (permalink))
Old
konbini (Offline)
JF Regular

10-21-2009, 02:55 AM

Kyoto is a must if you want to get a glimpse of traditional Japan.
Also a recommend a day in Takayama of Gifu prefecture. It is a lovely alpine town. Try fit in a night near Mt. Fuji. Hope you will enjoy your trip. Don't worry if you can't see and do everything you want. Once you see Japan for the first time, you will probably want to go back again.

P.S It is a great idea to learn a few basic phrases, most people will appreciate the effort.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Wagamama (Offline)
JF Regular

10-21-2009, 03:54 AM

Lol looks like i got misunderstood,Sorry kid i wasn't clear enough with my English.Just my 2cents,Kyoto is a great option but with 10days i wouldn't want to waste it travelling anymore than i should.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
calv930 (Offline)
(´・ω・`)

Send a message via AIM to calv930
10-21-2009, 02:33 PM

How much is this? - kore wa ikura desu ka?
Sorry - gomen(nasai)
Thank you - arigatou (gozaimasu/gozaimashita)
Excuse me(apoligizing) - sumimasen
This - Kore / Kono
That - Sore / Sono

What? - nani? / nan desu ka?
Who? - dare? / dare desu ka?
When? - itsu? itsu desu ka?
Why? - doushite? / nande? / naze?
How? - dou? / desu ka?

These are just some I thought of quickly... It's easy to learn common Japanese phrases just google them OR ipod/iphone Japanese apps!!
(#9 (permalink))
Old
konbini (Offline)
JF Regular

10-22-2009, 12:47 AM

If you don't go to Kyoto you can always go next time. Try fit it in if you can though.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
AhmadTokyo (Offline)
New to JF

10-22-2009, 02:04 AM

In Tokyo, there are many places, of them all, I do recommend Odaiba. It is a great artificial island (made of garbage!) I used to live there between 2004 and 2006. There you can see Tokyo (bay), Rimbo (bridge), and many other amusements. You can go there from Shinbashi St (located in Yamanote line), and ride on (Yorikamome line) and drop in Daiba, or Odaiba Kaihen Koen. I am sure you will enjoy there so much. You may also visit the queen square (Yokohama) by ridding on Kehen Tohoku Line, and get off at Yokohama St and from there you ride on (Minato Mirai line). In the queen square, you can visit many near places, like the Chinese Town, the Monati Mirai (port area), and you can see the highest skyscraper in Japan.