LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-21-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
For guys with average hair, QB House is apparently great. My husband has very very thick hair, and they never manage to do a decent cut in the short amount of time you`re allotted there - in his case even if it`s a trim. It`s a set 10 minute cut, so if you typically take more than 10 minutes to get to a decent cut... You may be out of luck.
They`re great for frequent trims or minor corrections, but there is no way I could imagine using them as a main barber.
Maybe it is because I am a foreigner and maybe it is because I went at non-peak hours at the QB House at Nishinomiya Gardens but there was no rush and I spent at least 20 minutes if not more in the stylist's chair both times (however, I had no impression that either was a factor...there was a signboard outside that indicated wait-time, so I don't think the stylists rushed in any way)
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
10-21-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Maybe it is because I am a foreigner and maybe it is because I went at non-peak hours at the QB House at Nishinomiya Gardens but there was no rush and I spent at least 20 minutes if not more in the stylist's chair both times (however, I had no impression that either was a factor...there was a signboard outside that indicated wait-time, so I don't think the stylists rushed in any way)
If they`re busy, they`ll put a little timer up and when the 10 minutes end do a mirror around and ask for your final requests. It really does make a huge difference depending on the day and time of day. At peak times there will be a 90 minute wait, with people standing outside waiting... But on weekday afternoons you could probably sit in there for 45 minutes getting a cut without any complaints. If you`re working though, you don`t really have the option of heading in during those hours.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
trunker (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-21-2009, 11:54 AM

i've seen some pretty glorious japanese afros here so not to worry. your average street barber will cost about Y1,500.

and i gotta echo MMM's service comment,..... i sport the shaved head look and i hardly felt the guys machine gliding over my scalp.

and normally i would need a wash to get rid of all the little hairs, but even the crappiest less-than-Y1,000 barber i went to,..... not a single stray hair. theyre so thorough that you can get a hair cut and then go straight to a meeting without a shampoo.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
calv930 (Offline)
(´・ω・`)

Send a message via AIM to calv930
10-21-2009, 02:08 PM

I have been wondering...do most salons in Japan cut your hair like those "cool teen"/Jrock haircuts ?
the hairstyles that you see for mandom Gatsby ( mandom )
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

10-21-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calv930 View Post
I have been wondering...do most salons in Japan cut your hair like those "cool teen"/Jrock haircuts ?
the hairstyles that you see for mandom Gatsby ( mandom )
Salons in Japan will cut your hair however you want them to.
There are magazines full of different styles which you can pick from, or just give them directions. If you want a simple straight bowl cut, you ask for one. If you want a "cool" cut, ask for it and wait while they wax it into shape.

It`s fairly popular to go to the salon before heading out for something important, getting a trim, and having them style your hair for you.

(#16 (permalink))
Old
smbx33 (Offline)
90's ジングル

10-22-2009, 03:19 AM

I read that in Japan some people get reverse perms to make their hair unmanagable and resemble afros which I think is funny bc usually people here get perms to make their hair straight and manageble. ^_^

I guess my second question would be if barbers/salons down there do "shape ups"

I copied an pasted a definition from wiki.

Quote:
Shape-Up is the name given to a hairstyle that is a cut around the hairline. It is usually mixed and matched with other hair styles, but on many occasions is done alone.

It is typically found amongst African American men who utilize the Caesar cut. The hair is cut low, and after the primary cutting is done, the barber uses T-shaped clippers or a sharp razor blade to line up the customer's hair line, circling the entire head to include behind the ears, the back of the head, and sideburns. In nearly all cases as well, the barber may remove other hair which is visible from the customer's shirt collar growing from the back or lower neck.

You can see it abit in this picture, on the sides but u cant see the forehead bc my hair is a bit crazy in that pic.

Last edited by smbx33 : 10-22-2009 at 03:34 AM. Reason: the other picture is a bit blurry...
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

10-22-2009, 03:38 AM

I'll admit to having paid upwards of ¥3800 for haircuts at nice salons in Japan, but I really feel its worth it. Many of these places take their business VERY seriously, and you get treated like a prince when you're in there - 3 or 4 people tend to you throughout the whole thing, and I've also made very good friends with the people who do my hair. I even plan my haircuts around when I make return trips to Nagoya, so I can go to my favorite salon. I say if you're going to get a haircut in Japan just once for the sake of getting a haircut in Japan, you might as well go to a nice place. Unfortunately I don't have any recommendations in Tokyo - only Nagoya. But I'm sure you'll have plenty to choose from...

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#18 (permalink))
Old
calv930 (Offline)
(´・ω・`)

Send a message via AIM to calv930
10-22-2009, 03:54 AM

Well, there is always this option; CUT IT YOURSELF

It may sound scary to do but I did it for the first time and it came out great! I cut&styled my hair to a Jrock style because Jrock is awesome.

Just have to grow out your hair long and cut it into a style you prefer (study where the hair should be shorter/longer in the specific areas of your head).
-well only good for people with stright hair like me... :/

if only Japanese Hair Straightening works for such curly hair
(#19 (permalink))
Old
smbx33 (Offline)
90's ジングル

10-22-2009, 04:10 AM

Well I dont really want a J-rock hairstyle not that it isnt cool and all just that I don't wanna get my hair straightened, since my curls are the source of all my compliments (><)

sad....i know lol.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

10-22-2009, 05:35 AM

As I said before - There are a lot of different hairstyles, and different hair types in Japan. I see no reason why you wouldn`t be able to find somewhere that could do exactly what you want. And if for some reason the first place you go to doesn`t know how to do it, chances are the next will.