JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
OtaKing77077 (Offline)
New to JF

Strange request - Tokyo Metropolitan Govt. Building! - 10-25-2009, 07:20 AM

Hello everyone. Paul Johnson in the UK, here.

I have a bizarre request. Basically, I'm working on an animation project set in Japan (specifically, in the Shinjuku places I liked most when I lived there for a year) and I'm using photos for background references.

What I really quite badly need is photographs of the observation deck of the Tokyo metropolitan Government building. I've been searching Google images and Flickr for hours, but the only images there seem to be are looking out of the windows... not at the actual room itself (the elevators, stairs leading up to it, the restaurant, etc)
If only I'd taken photos of it when I was there..!

The animation I'm using these for is a Doctor Who "what if there had been a Doctor Who anime made in the 80s and set in Japan" experiment. I've posted some material from it on Youtube if you'd like to take a look at some familiar Tokyo sights:

YouTube - Making a proper Doctor Who anime. ドクター・フー仕掛品のファン・アニメ
YouTube - Making a proper Doctor Who anime PART 3. ドクター・フー仕掛品のファン・アニメ
YouTube - Making a proper Doctor Who anime PART 2. ドクター・フー仕掛品のファン・アニメ

So, if anyone knows of any photos of the government building observation area or, even better, lives in Japan and would be willing to go and take a few snaps for me, I would be eternally grateful. Obviously all help will be noted in the credits! And if the BBC decide to do anything with this, you'll be able to put "research assistant for a BBC project" on your CV/resume, which is always a bonus!

A few more images from the project:

Thanks in advance!

Paul J.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
OtaKing77077 (Offline)
New to JF

10-25-2009, 07:33 AM

...One final one for you Suntory Boss fans out there.

It moves as well:

http://www.deviantart.com/download/1...htyOtaking.avi

(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-25-2009, 07:39 AM

I actually think I have those...but give me a day or two to try and dig them up. If you don't hear anything in a couple days then PM me.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
OtaKing77077 (Offline)
New to JF

10-25-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I actually think I have those...but give me a day or two to try and dig them up. If you don't hear anything in a couple days then PM me.
Ah, much appreciated! Thanks.
The more the merrier, of course, so if anyone else has any, please let me know. The more angles and whatnot I can get, the better the overall battle scene will be.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
reptilesandsamurai (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-25-2009, 07:46 AM

This is thew only one I took of the inside of the observation deck. Sorry it's not more interesting.

Reptiles have silly grins
Dark eyes--shiny teeth--some have fins
Samurai they smile never
Serious--pretty swords--very clever
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
10-25-2009, 01:29 PM

Looks interesting.
But all my pictures are looking out of the window. I have 1 or 2 looking at the building from outside, but you can surely find better ones through google

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#7 (permalink))
Old
dirtyroboto (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-01-2009, 02:54 PM

Heading that way this week. I am sure I can take an hour out of my schedule to snap some pics for you.
Let me know before tuesday if you want anything specific or I will most likley shoot anything.
Will try to get at least 100+ shots for you.

PM me if you need to.
Marc.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
OtaKing77077 (Offline)
New to JF

11-01-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyroboto View Post
Heading that way this week. I am sure I can take an hour out of my schedule to snap some pics for you.
Let me know before tuesday if you want anything specific or I will most likley shoot anything.
Will try to get at least 100+ shots for you.

PM me if you need to.
Marc.
That's extremely kind and helpful. If you could, I'd be extremely grateful.
I've already drawn these three from low res photo reference found on peoples' blogs. The images were all in daylight so I had to adapt them to make in night time (which is when the whole animation is set)

-

-

-

If you won't be around at night, no worries. If you could just grab some shots in whatever lighting conditions, I can then use them as a basis and just change the lighting.

Essentially, as you can see I've got images facing the windows (where the soldiers are going to be). What I really need are some shots of the other side - the elevator doors, stairs leading up etc (where the enemy will pour in through). So anything like that would be excellent.
no need to go crazy and shoot 100 though! If you could get a shot of the actual stairs, that would be fantastic, because then I can spend inordinate amounts of time animating Daleks hovering up them to get to the observation deck.

I believe it's the North Observatory that I'm after.

Thanks again for the help. Obviously you'll be in the credits!

Cheers,

Paul J.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-01-2009, 05:38 PM

Can I just say that the idea of a Dr Who Villain in a coffee vending machine absolutely tickles me pink.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
dorkysan (Offline)
New to JF

11-03-2009, 12:50 PM

Hi Ota,

your artwork is spectacular! I'll be visiting Tokyo in December and had planned to tour the entire Tokyo govt Met buildings. I could take several pics for you also. Is December too late for the pics?

Here's some pics of the gift shop and part of the restaurant from my last trip if you want them....
Picasa Web Albums - not.here.harry - japanforum

Last edited by dorkysan : 11-03-2009 at 01:25 PM. Reason: add album