JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
angelemlin (Offline)
New to JF

First time going to Japan - 11-04-2009, 12:17 AM

Im planning on going to Japan for 2 weeks (March 28-April 10) From what Ive found online thats about beginning or middle of Hanami, which Ive always wanted to see. Is it safe for me to go alone or should I recruit one of my friends (Im 19)?

I want to stay in Kyoto, Osaka, and Tokyo (simple list for now, any other places that would be interesting I dont know of?) Im hoping to stay at a Ryokan at least once; Im fine with a youth hostels, but having trouble finding any information on them.

Im very interested in traditional Japan, any places or events that I should check out? I found something about Gion Corner Theater, Kinkakuji Temple, and some place that teaches you about the tea ceremony and how to make tea (at a museum I think). Im also interested in shopping and found stuff that says Nishiki Market in Kyoto, Akihabara for Electronics, Harajuku and Shibuya for Fashion, and Asakusa for Souvenirs.

I found a list on tips, manners, and behaviors in Japan like needing an outlet converter, bringing gifts (any ideas? do I need them?), dont point with fingers, carry a handkerchief, and be quiet on public transportation.

I know Ill be spending around $2000, thats also adding in the cost of my passport and JR Rail Pass (the 14 day one).

Also, how much and where can I get currency converted from $ to ¥?

If Im not being informative enough, please tell me, or if Im not clear on something. I want to be completely ready to go (or not be totally overwhelmed).

Thanks in advance
(#2 (permalink))
Old
konbini (Offline)
JF Regular

11-04-2009, 12:40 AM

You have nothing to worry about and plenty of time to prepare.
It is best to buy small things to give as gifts. Try find something unique to your country. I suggest that it might be cheaper if you withdraw money in Yen using a bank card. Ask your bank about the fees for use in Japan.
I suggest that you should write an itinerary and start looking for places to stay. I hope you first trip is enjoyable. Don't feel you have to see everything because you'll probably want to come back.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-04-2009, 01:25 AM

You may not need a 14 day JR pass- unless you do a number of long trips on the shinkansen (not just Tokyo-Kyoto-Osaka-Tokyo), it may be cheaper to just buy single tickets. Have a look at train travel planning sites like hyperdia to make sure you really need a JR pass before spending all that money.

Power outlet convertor, i.e. adaptor plug? You may not need one. You don't say where you are from, but I'm assuming you are from the US since (sorry for the generalisation) on the internet it is usually Americans who don't say where they are from and assume everyone just knows!

As long as your plugs are two prong you won't need an adaptor. If you have anything with 3 prongs then you will need an adaptor.

Japan is one of the world's safer countries- yes, you can travel by yourself without worrying, just use your common sense while you are here. I first came to Japan by myself just after my 20th birthday.

I don't know about gifts- unless you are coming to work or will be doing a homestay, I can't imagine who you would give them to. You don't need to give anything to hotel staff etc.

Rather than a handkerchief, it's better to have a small towel for drying your hands in public restrooms where there is often nothing to dry your hands with. This is not compulsory though! People use tissues for blowing their noses here, and generally try to avoid blowing their noses in public if they can.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
angelemlin (Offline)
New to JF

11-04-2009, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by konbini View Post
You have nothing to worry about and plenty of time to prepare.
It is best to buy small things to give as gifts. Try find something unique to your country. I suggest that it might be cheaper if you withdraw money in Yen using a bank card. Ask your bank about the fees for use in Japan.
I suggest that you should write an itinerary and start looking for places to stay. I hope you first trip is enjoyable. Don't feel you have to see everything because you'll probably want to come back.
Its how I am, Im the kind of person who has deadlines for my life

One website said stickers or my home country flag pins make good gifts, I like baking treats, but would that be too formal?

My college english teacher (she has family in Japan) said it might be cheeper for me to just have about $300 cash converted in the Los Angeles airport during my layover, but thats sounded like both over kill and a huge safety problem. But I never thought to use my card, makes it alot easier and safer .

Thank you Konbini
(#5 (permalink))
Old
angelemlin (Offline)
New to JF

11-04-2009, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasi View Post
You may not need a 14 day JR pass- unless you do a number of long trips on the shinkansen (not just Tokyo-Kyoto-Osaka-Tokyo), it may be cheaper to just buy single tickets. Have a look at train travel planning sites like hyperdia to make sure you really need a JR pass before spending all that money.

Power outlet convertor, i.e. adaptor plug? You may not need one. You don't say where you are from, but I'm assuming you are from the US since (sorry for the generalisation) on the internet it is usually Americans who don't say where they are from and assume everyone just knows!

As long as your plugs are two prong you won't need an adaptor. If you have anything with 3 prongs then you will need an adaptor.

Japan is one of the world's safer countries- yes, you can travel by yourself without worrying, just use your common sense while you are here. I first came to Japan by myself just after my 20th birthday.

I don't know about gifts- unless you are coming to work or will be doing a homestay, I can't imagine who you would give them to. You don't need to give anything to hotel staff etc.
Oh, sorry, I am american, and the adapter would be for my laptop.

I assumed Id need a rail pass if I went to more places than Kyoto, Tokyo, and Osaka, but it being my first time, Im guessing itd be better to stick to a smaller area than explore the whole country at once.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-04-2009, 01:51 AM

Go to your bank and do it. That will be the cheapest.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Tripsis (Offline)
New to JF

11-17-2009, 11:40 AM

I've got roughly the same idea for my first trip to Japan.
2 weeks set aside around early April, starting in Tokyo. However i haven't planned as far as you have.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
trunker (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-17-2009, 01:17 PM

i would change about $500 to yen at your own bank before you fly. the equivalent in Yen will be relatively few bills so its not like you'll have an obvious cash bulge that'll be tempting would be pickpockets.

that much will keep you comfortable enough for the first few days so you dont have to rush out and find a bank. (head to shibuya's citibank for quick and easy cash withdrawals using a visa electron or credit card. just ask for the KFC i think it was, someone correct me if i'm wrong, its just after that, 5 mins from shibuya station).

its safe, but a friend might make your trip a bit more fun and unpredictable, depending on the friend of course.

you can point at things with your fingers, you dont have to carry a handkerchief, and you dont have to be absolutely silent on the train. those rules are more for the "gaijin that wants to be a japanese" type of visitor. honestly, i have no idea where they get funny ideas like that.

cookies would be nice gifts, i certainly would welcome a good batch of cookies
(#9 (permalink))
Old
omoshirotokyo (Offline)
New to JF

visit here! - 11-18-2009, 05:31 AM

hey im new to this site but i know this blog where they introduce Japanese cultutres and whats happenin right now!

RUTHER'S ROOM
(#10 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-18-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunker View Post
cookies would be nice gifts, i certainly would welcome a good batch of cookies
Cookies tend not to travel well unless you are presenting them as soon as you arrive at your destination.