JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Rattle (Offline)
New to JF

Skiing in Japan; Hiroshima, Nagano or Sapporo? - 11-08-2009, 05:14 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm a British ryuugakusei studying in Fukuoka, Kyushu for a year and I desperately need to go skiing in Japan this winter!

I was looking at the options and I have been recommended Hiroshima as it's pretty close and could be a cheaper option but I am worried it won't be up to scratch!
I've skied in some of the best places in Europe such as the Four Valleys in France and I like tough slopes so I'm hoping for somewhere good!

Does anyone know anything about these locations (Hiroshima, Nagano or Sapporo)?
Can anyone recommend me some websites for finding cheap domestic flights? (Eng or Japanese is ok)
I'm not filthy rich so I will have to budget but I was hoping to spend around £500/75k yen max for the trip if possible.
I'd like to skii for around five days and I'll need to rent skiis and boots.

If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
Martin
(#2 (permalink))
Old
wasabijuice (Offline)
JF Regular

11-08-2009, 11:46 AM

Hiroshima won't cut it. Better off in Nagano.

Snow Japan Maps - Welcome to the Nagano Prefecture Snow Japan Map Center
(#3 (permalink))
Old
blimp (Offline)
偽関西人

11-08-2009, 01:41 PM

if you are looking for something similar to the verbier, st anton, charmonix, la grave, val disere or somthing like that, you will be disappointed. japanese ski resorts are much smaller, and older i would say. however nagano isn't too bad of a place.

closer to hiroshima, i would recommend hachikogen ハチ高原 in northern hyogo.

the skis you rent are furthermore, to say the least, not the latest model.

ps. i thought the four valleys were in switzerland.

六甲颪(おろし)に 颯爽(さっそう)と
蒼天(そうてん)翔(か)ける日輪(にちりん)の
青春の覇気 美(うるわ)しく
輝く我が名ぞ 阪神タイガース
※オウ オウ オウオウ 阪神タイガース フレ フレ フレフレ
(#4 (permalink))
Old
andyp (Offline)
New to JF

Cool Hakuba Nagano - 11-09-2009, 03:41 AM

Hi Rattle,

You might want to consider Hakuba, which is in Nagano. They had the winter olympics there back '98, so the snows sound as a pound and the mountains are excellent for get some speed up. The main ski area is Happo One, where they did the mens down hill.

Have been skiing in Europe for most of my life (20 years), but moved to Australia - Japan is easily the closest / best place for skiing from down here. Mountains may not have the extreme pitches that some European resorts have, but there's plenty to keep you entertained, even if you're a good skier/snowboarder. Food and culture are also top.

There's a lot of raving about the north island, more snow, but to be honest when one areas 11m and other is 12ms of annual snowfall I'd go with the one that's easier to get to. Hakuba's 3 hours from Tokyo, plus it's not awash with backpack Aussie types.

Stayed at a couple of places, but recommend the Double Black hotel, that's where I was last year. Double Black Hotel | Ski and Snowboard Accommodation Hakuba Japan

Have fun mate, you'll love it.

Andy