JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
BlackGreenTea (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to BlackGreenTea Send a message via MSN to BlackGreenTea Send a message via Yahoo to BlackGreenTea
12-29-2009, 02:54 AM

It's very easy to find people who are kind and will accept you in Japan. If you don't look Japanese, you will get some stares, but it's relatively harmless. If you are staying with a host family, they don't care. They are mostly pretty stoked to have you come live with them!
Going to Japan is a really great experience, so don't get weighed down by fear of discrimination!! Keep your head held high and be proud of who you are!

C'est la vie, n'est pas?
(#22 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-29-2009, 03:33 AM

Unless someone is going into the deep country, "stares" is something that foreigners really don't get anymore in Japan.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
BlackGreenTea (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to BlackGreenTea Send a message via MSN to BlackGreenTea Send a message via Yahoo to BlackGreenTea
12-29-2009, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Unless someone is going into the deep country, "stares" is something that foreigners really don't get anymore in Japan.
That's what I thought, but I when I went this summer I got quite a few odd looks on the trains...

C'est la vie, n'est pas?
(#24 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-29-2009, 03:54 AM

It may not have been because you are a foreigner. It could have been because of any number of reasons. Generally anyone over the age of 6 doesn't find the need to stare at foreigners.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
BlackGreenTea (Offline)
New to JF

12-29-2009, 04:13 AM

Possibly, but I had many friends who went at the same time I did have this problem.
Also, I understand that a few people staring on trains does not reflect an entire culture (I fear someone will jump in with that remark soon >>), and that it had absolutely no effect on my time in Japan. It was simply interesting.
Japan itself was a lovely experience, and I plan on spending a year there in college.

C'est la vie, n'est pas?
(#26 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
12-29-2009, 03:39 PM

Sometimes people stare out of curiosity, so just smile back at them. The smile will probably be returned and the staring stopped. If its the rare instance where the stare includes disapproval, you would accomplish the same thing. They would probably ignore you after you acknowledge them politely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSTRKRFT View Post
I'm 1/2 Caucasian and 1/2 Korean, and was wondering if my ethnic identity would grant me discriminatory treatment in public places while in Japan. My last name is Italian, "Giaramito", if that makes any difference, and the only real way someone would be able to tell if my half is Korean would be to know my ethnic background, since I look kind of neutral as a halfie, or if they have an overly heightened sense of racial intuition. The numerous times I've visited Hawaii, random Japanese tourists would come up to me asking me questions in Japanese, expecting me to be able to answer, so I guess that would be my proof to the previous statement. However, the same stands for the Koreans I've run into as well.
That may be more because you seem approachable than because you look like a fellow countryman. I am as Anglo as they come, but on my last trip to Mexico City I was frequently asked to assist total strangers as if I was a native, even by Hispanic women. I had one New Yorker come up and try speaking to me in Spanish! Once I answered her in English and gave her the directions she needed, I asked why she came up and asked me in Spanish from her pocket dictionary. She said it was because I looked quite comfortable in my surroundings (not like a tourist) and friendly. So even though Asian tourist in Hawaii may have picked up on a subtle visual clue to your heritage, its even more likely that they thought the same about you as the lady did about me...... a native and friendly.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

12-29-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
They would probably ignore you after you acknowledge them politely.
What would happen if I picked up some dirt and threw it in their face. Then, whilst waiting for a reply, I started throwing rubbish from a nearby trash can at them??? What would happen? I've always wanted to try this.

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

12-29-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
What would happen if I picked up some dirt and threw it in their face. Then, whilst waiting for a reply, I started throwing rubbish from a nearby trash can at them??? What would happen? I've always wanted to try this.
You would be acting like an antisocial dolt, which is frowned upon in all parts of the world.

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#29 (permalink))
Old
Tturtle (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-29-2009, 06:08 PM

I was in Japan in 2008. I got stares. Sometimes I looked at the person and smiled. Mostly they turned away when I did this. Some smiled back and a couple came over and talked to me. I was making a confused look at a train station and a guy who was like 6 feet 4 inches was staring at me. When I looked back at him he came over and asked me in English if I needed any help. Japan was awesome!

Has anyone checked the coring room?
(#30 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

12-30-2009, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
You would be acting like an antisocial dolt, which is frowned upon in all parts of the world.
So I'd get frowned at? That's all?

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…