JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

Budget Airlines Asia - 11-16-2009, 11:27 AM

Next year I'm planning to go backpacking around Southeast Asia. I'm thinking that if I have enough money and time, I'd like to go to Korea and Japan. So I'm wondering if there is an equivalent to Ryanair or EasyJet for Asia. I've found AirAsia which has great deals for Southeast Asia, but doesn't go to Japan.

I will be based in Singapore, so I'd like to possibly take a route as follows

Singapore - Guangzhou (air)
Guangzhou - Shanghai (train)
Shanghai - Seoul (air)
Seoul - Osaka/Kyoto/Tokyo (air)

When I arrive in Japan, there's already plenty of information on here about JapanRail etc.

So, any ideas on Budget Airlines for Asia?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
11-16-2009, 01:35 PM

There are some airlines flying around Japan and Korea, but they are usually not as cheap as Easyjet or Ryainair.

I dont have alot of information about the airlines, but im sure you will find something for your first 2 flights.
From Korea to Japan it will maybe be more expensive or harder to find a cheap flight. If you have a bit more time, here is what i did: There is a Korea/Japan through Railpass wich works as following. You will choose your travel date and the starting city in Korea (Seoul for example). Than you choose your final destination in Japan (Osaka for example) and they will give u a price. This price will include the KTX train (Koreas Shinkansen) to Busan, the fast boat (3hours) to Fukuoka and the train (i think you have to pay extra for the Shinkansen, but you can use the Limited Express trains in Japan) to your destination in Japan. Their is a discount on all the trains and the boat, so it will be cheaper than flying. The only problem is that it will take more time than just to fly, but it is surely an adventure. What i would do is to take this pass until Fukuoka, stay there one night and than get the JR Railpass and hop on the Shinkansen to Kyoto.

Cheap airlines around Asia i know of: China airlines, China southern airlines, Thai airways.
I had planned a trip from Seoul to Bejing with China southern and a flight from Hongkong to Taipe with Thai and prices were reasonable!
oh, and i also think there is a ferry from Shanghai to Incheon.

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#3 (permalink))
Old
utsu (Offline)
JF Regular

11-16-2009, 01:55 PM

within Japan Skymark is a good, cheap(ish) option:
[SKYMARK WEB SERVICE]
(#4 (permalink))
Old
aussielung (Offline)
New to JF

11-19-2009, 02:18 PM

The ferry idea that someone above talked about would be an awesome experience. I'd do that.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
trunker (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-21-2009, 09:16 AM

china airlines out of taiwan are very good and very cheap, and you might be able to throw taiwan into your travels.

also i've heard recently that korean airlines are dirt cheap these days. those of us in kyushu are using seoul as a hub for most of our international trips.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

11-25-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
Next year I'm planning to go backpacking around Southeast Asia. I'm thinking that if I have enough money and time, I'd like to go to Korea and Japan. So I'm wondering if there is an equivalent to Ryanair or EasyJet for Asia. I've found AirAsia which has great deals for Southeast Asia, but doesn't go to Japan.

I will be based in Singapore, so I'd like to possibly take a route as follows

Singapore - Guangzhou (air)
Guangzhou - Shanghai (train)
Shanghai - Seoul (air)
Seoul - Osaka/Kyoto/Tokyo (air)

When I arrive in Japan, there's already plenty of information on here about JapanRail etc.

So, any ideas on Budget Airlines for Asia?
ANA is not too bad, give them a call and see if you can find some cheap deals....