JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Dusty23 (Offline)
New to JF

some questions before we head over- sumo's, disneyland, JR? - 11-22-2009, 10:31 AM

Hi,
our trip is all booked (20th Dec-12th Jan) and we're all getting excited to go!!! i've just got a couple of quick questions that i can't find answers to. can someone help me with:

1) we're looking to go to the Tokyo Sumo Tournament. it starts on the 10th jan and we leave PM on the 12th to come back to Australia. what's the best day to go while we're there, the first (10th jan) or second day (11th Jan)?

2) disneyland is also on the cards, but we're not sure how busy it will be and if we will need to pre-book tickets on a particular day. we're thinking about going on the 8th Jan. Is this a particularly busy period?

3) I might be pushing it a bit with this one, but in regards to JR west line the H 525 train arrives from Tokyo into Osaka at 2130 and the H 589 train departs at 2138. (we're looking to go from Tokyo - Hiroshima on a JR pass at this time of night). Is this enough time to switch between trains?

thanks for your help.
cheers,
Dusty
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

11-22-2009, 01:25 PM

1. The date shouldn't matter much between those two as you aren't going near the end of the tournament when there will be some bouts that will influence as to who wins the tournament.

2. I'm nearly 100% sure that it will be pretty crowded on Jan. 8. as it's during the winter break for most schools and kids have money this time of year because adults give them cash on New Year's Day. Buying an advance ticket will save you the 20 to-30-minute wait at the ticket booth at D-Land in the cold.

3. That is more than enough time for the transfer.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-22-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty23 View Post
3) I might be pushing it a bit with this one, but in regards to JR west line the H 525 train arrives from Tokyo into Osaka at 2130 and the H 589 train departs at 2138. (we're looking to go from Tokyo - Hiroshima on a JR pass at this time of night). Is this enough time to switch between trains?
I would say that is nice planning. There is no more than a one or two minute walk between platforms.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Dusty23 (Offline)
New to JF

11-22-2009, 09:43 PM

Thanks a million Nagoyankee and MMM!!!

cheers,
Dusty
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-23-2009, 04:31 AM

As for Disney, you don't have to pre-book tickets. It's best to go in the middle of the week to avoid the crowd, Tuesday through Thursday would be best. It's not so crowded at the parks in the winter, as it does get cold here in Japan. The parks will be even more quiet if it is raining.

The Disney resorts are less than 30 minutes from Tokyo Station on the Keio line. The sumo arena is located in Kinshichiro, which is also close to Tokyo Station, on the Sobu line, if I remember correctly. Near the sumo arena is the Edo-Tokyo museum, which is worth seeing.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
futurebeast (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to futurebeast
11-23-2009, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty23 View Post
2) disneyland is also on the cards, but we're not sure how busy it will be and if we will need to pre-book tickets on a particular day. we're thinking about going on the 8th Jan. Is this a particularly busy period?
Don't go to Disneyland, we will all be be better for it.

哎呀, 我把我的 Jordan Kicks 放在哪里了? 糟糕!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-23-2009, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurebeast View Post
Don't go to Disneyland, we will all be be better for it.
They are from Australia. You live in....San Noze. Let them be.