JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Planning a trip - 11-23-2009, 07:31 AM

I'm currently in the process of planning a trip to Japan fall of 2010, and am in the infantile stage of the planning.

It will be me and my girlfriend, we have saved $10,000 dollars (minus hotel/hostel cost, but exclude airfare as we have that covered) up until now - we will have a pretty good chunk of money to vacation with... if you could plan an ideal trip to Japan, let me know how you would do it

We will be traveling the generic tourist trail -- Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Kobe, and various side paths (open to suggestions). We'll be going for around 22-30 days.

I went to Japan in 07' for a little over a month (and a homestay with a host family) but my trip was somewhat limited and was essentially a guided tour, though I was forced to make my way around and to various tourist destinations -- Kyomizu Dera, Great Buddha at Nara, Miyajima, a temple stay at Myorenji in Kyoto, etc. (All of which I plan to relive with my girlfriend)

It's been a while since I've been to Japan/spoken Japanese to a native, but I feel comfortable with communication. But to be honest, I'm pretty nervous regarding navigation. I know Hiragana and Katakana and am familiar with like 100+ kanji. (Sad, I know ) I'll be getting the 14 day JR Pass.

Anyone have any itinerary suggestions? Are there any quality, back alley, English-guided tours? Nice pubs/food destinations? Some of you make this trip annually, so if you have any good suggestions I'm open to them, but please be specific.

This itinerary may seem naive, but let me know what you think...

----
Tokyo & Surrounding Areas - 5 Days

Kyoto and Surrounding Areas - 6 Days

Osaka and Kobe - 6 Days

Hiroshima - 4 Days

Back to Tokyo and Surrounding Areas - 3 Days

Hakone Hot Springs - 2 Days
----

And then back to America

Last edited by burkhartdesu : 11-23-2009 at 07:35 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

11-23-2009, 07:40 AM

Sorry I don't have any advice for Japan. I'm a Thailand guru!

But I bet you'll have fun. Good luck. Drink a few in Tokyo for me!

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…
(#3 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-23-2009, 07:49 AM

Thanks man, I plan on it. And if I come to Thailand, I may just ask for advice.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

11-23-2009, 08:20 AM

The only advice I can really give is security. People are out there trying to steal the belongings of toursits. You have to realize that and be paying attention.

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…
(#5 (permalink))
Old
tryman (Offline)
New to JF

Smile JR looks better for your itinelary.. - 11-23-2009, 03:03 PM

Hello.
Iam from Sapporo(north big island of Japan)not from Tokyo or Kyoto..
But I can say if you want to do that route , you would be better to buy a JR Ticket at firrt arounf Tokyo, Kyoto..
Talking about Tokyo Area,,Ummm, it is hard to point out where.which.
So need mor idea what you want to do and have the experience etc.
Of course, just sightseeing all around of Tokyo is Ok for your days, I think.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
tryman (Offline)
New to JF

Smile JR looks better for your itinelary.. - 11-23-2009, 03:04 PM

Hello.
Iam from Sapporo(north big island of Japan)not from Tokyo or Kyoto..
But I can say if you want to do that route , you would be better to buy a JR Ticket at firrt arounf Tokyo, Kyoto.Hiroshima etc.It is on the TOKAIDO Bullet Train rain.
Talking about Tokyo Area,,Ummm, it is hard to point out where.which.
So need mor idea what you want to do and have the experience etc.
Of course, just sightseeing all around of Tokyo is Ok for your days, I think.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
kiyosuke (Offline)
JF Regular

11-23-2009, 03:48 PM

I don't have any advice.

But introduces some places by official English web.

Tokyo area
Senso-ji | About Senso-ji
http://www.meijijingu.or.jp/english/index.html
Edo-Tokyo Museum
National Diet Library
Visit Guide
Hatobus Tours
HATO BUS|English Top

Yokohama
OSANBASHI YOKOHAMA INTERNATIONAL PASSENGER TERMINAL
Yokohama Convention & Visitors Bureau
(#8 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

11-25-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhartdesu View Post
I'm currently in the process of planning a trip to Japan fall of 2010, and am in the infantile stage of the planning.

It will be me and my girlfriend, we have saved $10,000 dollars (minus hotel/hostel cost, but exclude airfare as we have that covered) up until now - we will have a pretty good chunk of money to vacation with... if you could plan an ideal trip to Japan, let me know how you would do it

We will be traveling the generic tourist trail -- Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Kobe, and various side paths (open to suggestions). We'll be going for around 22-30 days.

I went to Japan in 07' for a little over a month (and a homestay with a host family) but my trip was somewhat limited and was essentially a guided tour, though I was forced to make my way around and to various tourist destinations -- Kyomizu Dera, Great Buddha at Nara, Miyajima, a temple stay at Myorenji in Kyoto, etc. (All of which I plan to relive with my girlfriend)

It's been a while since I've been to Japan/spoken Japanese to a native, but I feel comfortable with communication. But to be honest, I'm pretty nervous regarding navigation. I know Hiragana and Katakana and am familiar with like 100+ kanji. (Sad, I know ) I'll be getting the 14 day JR Pass.

Anyone have any itinerary suggestions? Are there any quality, back alley, English-guided tours? Nice pubs/food destinations? Some of you make this trip annually, so if you have any good suggestions I'm open to them, but please be specific.

This itinerary may seem naive, but let me know what you think...

----
Tokyo & Surrounding Areas - 5 Days

Kyoto and Surrounding Areas - 6 Days

Osaka and Kobe - 6 Days

Hiroshima - 4 Days

Back to Tokyo and Surrounding Areas - 3 Days

Hakone Hot Springs - 2 Days
----

And then back to America
Tokyo & Surrounding - 5 Days - OK, make sure you also include Yokohama in those 5 days

Kyoto and Surrounding - 6 Days seems overkill, I'd say 4 days will be more than enough, add another day if you plan on visiting Iga Ueno

Osaka and Kobe - 6 Days also seemed overkill, I'd say 4 days, 5 at most

Hiroshima - 4Days, 2 days top.. there isn't much to see there.... Miyajima will last you 1 day, and Hiroshima, another day

Hakone - Just be really careful and find the right resort... if I may suggest, I'd say to go to Hakone so that you can go up the ropeway for Fuji, make it a 1 days trip. Put away 3 days for Nikko and Kinugawa for Hot spring

Maybe you can go to Hakata as well, I took my wife there just a few weeks ago (October 24 to be exact), and she is dying to go back for Yatai food.......