JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japan Travel Advice (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/)
-   -   Japanese customs regulations (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/29752-japanese-customs-regulations.html)

Shanis 01-07-2010 02:29 PM

Japanese customs regulations

Hello everyone,
I take a trip to japan in summer for 8 days and do some sightseeing^^ :) But my friends want me to bring some gifts with me so I wanted to know: What am I allowed to bringt with me and how much? One of my friends wanted me to bring sake but I'm not quite sure how much I can bring with me and how much :/

Thanks for your help in advance

P.S.: If there are any mistakes in my thread please tell me, I need to improve my english skills. :) :vsign:

Sangetsu 01-07-2010 02:42 PM

It isn't Japanese customs and regulations you need to worry about, you need to worry about the customs and regulations in your own country. You can get sake easily enough at the duty-free shop, as well as many other items. Usually one doesn't have to pay duty fees on items which cost below a certain, total amount, but that depends on which country you are from.

minminRW 01-07-2010 02:49 PM

7104 Duty-Free Allowance for Accompanied Personal Effects of Overseas Travelers (FAQ)

godwine 01-07-2010 03:04 PM

Slightly off topic.

Regular sake you can get almost anywhere. If you and your friend don't mind something sweet, try Nigori, my wife love that stuff

T

Shanis 01-07-2010 04:17 PM

Ah well thanks all^^ You helped me a lot. :vsign: But minminRW, in your text was written that I have to be 20 years or older to bring sake and only 3 bottles with max. 700ml or so, what is if I take 1 bottle with 2l? That's less then 3 bottles with less contents :/ And I'm german citizen and I'm an adult with 18 so can I still bring sake?

WhoIsDaffy 01-07-2010 05:19 PM

man they not even going to check,

in terms of customs,

what are you really going to smuggle from Japan?

its the planes coming from jamaica and columbia that get stopped.

dont worry,

(just use your MP3 player ;) :cool: ;) )

Shanis 01-07-2010 05:38 PM

omg lool^^ are you sure? Well since I'm from germany that might be possible but german customs often control people an check if they payed customs :/ I think I just ask them since they got website and a phone xD But thanks anyways.

godwine 01-07-2010 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shanis (Post 793894)
omg lool^^ are you sure? Well since I'm from germany that might be possible but german customs often control people an check if they payed customs :/ I think I just ask them since they got website and a phone xD But thanks anyways.

I will be really careful with taking the idea of "they will not check". It is true that they don't usually check, but if they do, and you are caught not declaring it, it will be a BIG fine

MMM 01-07-2010 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shanis (Post 793876)
Ah well thanks all^^ You helped me a lot. :vsign: But minminRW, in your text was written that I have to be 20 years or older to bring sake and only 3 bottles with max. 700ml or so, what is if I take 1 bottle with 2l? That's less then 3 bottles with less contents :/ And I'm german citizen and I'm an adult with 18 so can I still bring sake?

You need to know German customs then. Japan doesn't care what you take out. It's what you bring back that is the issue.

tstorey 01-08-2010 03:19 AM

I am interested in what I can bring into Japan. We will have some small packaged snack/foodstuffs for kids. Will we get this in or is it a strictly no food policy?