JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
kimharp (Offline)
New to JF

10 Days in Japan--what should I do? - 01-09-2010, 06:39 PM

Hi all!

My husband and I have five days to travel through Japan at the end of April. We fly from the U.S. to Tokyo, and must end up in Miyazaki where we'll meet up with a group going back to Tokyo for three days.

We plan to visit Kyoto and Hiroshima and are looking for suggestions beyond that. Any not-to-miss ideas?

I'm also looking for input on whether to travel by train, plane, or rent a car. I'm leaning towards going by train to Kyoto and Hiroshima and renting a car from there. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for reading this and giving any input you can.

Kim
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-09-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimharp View Post
Hi all!

My husband and I have five days to travel through Japan at the end of April. We fly from the U.S. to Tokyo, and must end up in Miyazaki where we'll meet up with a group going back to Tokyo for three days.

We plan to visit Kyoto and Hiroshima and are looking for suggestions beyond that. Any not-to-miss ideas?

I'm also looking for input on whether to travel by train, plane, or rent a car. I'm leaning towards going by train to Kyoto and Hiroshima and renting a car from there. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for reading this and giving any input you can.

Kim
You will not need to rent a car at all. I have never been to Hiroshima, but public transportation and walking were all I ever needed in Kyoto.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-09-2010, 11:57 PM

Seconding MMM's comment. Kyoto is just small enough and interesting enough that you won't need a car. I walked pretty much most of it over a few weekends but you won't want to do all of it in under a week. You'll get temple head. Plus parking is a pain in the proverbial to find, so i'd stick to pub. trans. if I were you.

Asides from the dome, park and museums, Hiroshima is pretty much a bog-standard city. You could easily do that in a day, or two-three if you wish to see Miyajima as well (1 hr apox. out of the city by tram and ferry but well worth seeing). In all probabilities, unless you're traveling to the back of beyond, you'll be better off doing it by train and bus.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
stuniq (Offline)
New to JF

01-11-2010, 05:46 PM

Why not stop in Himeji, just outside of Kyoto, and check out the amazing Himeji castle? Osaka is also very close to Kyoto and you can look at another castle there as well as aquarium, ferris wheel, and a 3D Imax movie at Tempozan.

I also walked around Kyoto. It took me about 3 hours to walk from one end of the city to the other (because I wanted to see specific temples that happened to be on opposite ends, lol).

Last edited by stuniq : 01-11-2010 at 05:53 PM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
kimharp (Offline)
New to JF

01-12-2010, 01:19 PM

Thanks so much for the replies! I think we have settled on staying in Kyoto and not trying to squeeze in Hiroshima. Himeji sounds like a good side trip---how far is it from Kyoto? Any hotel recommendations in Kyoto?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
darthlobo (Offline)
JF Regular

01-12-2010, 03:47 PM

I'm jealous. lol. Here's a video blog I subscribe to:

MustLoveJapan - Video Travel Guide of Japan

He has a lot of ideas. I really want to go to the shopping mall (I can't remember where it is) that has the largest ferris wheel in the world and other cool looking stuff. Also, I would love to see the Tokyo tower some time.

Have fun!

I choose the twilight path to the dawn.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-12-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimharp View Post
Thanks so much for the replies! I think we have settled on staying in Kyoto and not trying to squeeze in Hiroshima. Himeji sounds like a good side trip---how far is it from Kyoto? Any hotel recommendations in Kyoto?
I think Himeji isn't much more than an hour from Kyoto, and you don't need to use the bullet train, so it is a cheaper day trip, too.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
princessmarisa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-13-2010, 12:11 PM

I hear it can be very expensive to stay in Kyoto and difficult to find anywhere central.

How about staying in Osaka and travelling to Kyoto there are lots of diff trains that do this for varying cost and speed, and tons of cheap central hotels in Osaka. I rate both
Hotel Kinki - Osaka business hotel with superb location, cheap rates and friendly staff
and
Toyoko Inn Umeda Nakatsu

If you do go to Osaka don't miss dotombori leading to namba, shinsaibashi if you get the chance and umeda for shoppings and sights. (If you have a little otaku in you or are just curious visit den den town, it is Osaka's answer to the crazy toy and video game fest that is Akihabara and really great!)
<3 for Osaka, it is a great central base for day trips to places and the shops stay open late so after a day trip you can explore Osaka itself before heading to bed! (also you can get the bullet train direct from (shin)Osaka to Tokyo

Himeji castle is amazing and IMHO once you have seen that you don't need to see many other castles as they just won't live up! It is a lovely walk up to it as well, if not a tad too touristy.

Last edited by princessmarisa : 01-13-2010 at 12:13 PM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
jbradfor (Offline)
JF Regular

01-13-2010, 03:50 PM

Regarding Himeji Castle, according to the Wikitravel article, it is currently undergoing renovation and parts will be closed. Even worse, during the time the castle will be covered by a large tent.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Hideo (Offline)
New to JF

01-19-2010, 12:42 PM

I personally found Hiroshima really nice, aside from the Dome and Peace park and associated museums, there was also a lovely Japanese gardens and some fabulous restaurants. Hiroshima style Okonomiyaki is vastly superior to Osaka style in my opinion, and there are some great places to sample this.

Also close by to Hiroshima is Miya-Jima, the island with the "floating" tori gate and delightful shrine, complete with wandering deer and a nice mountain to go up for some magnificent views over the inland sea.

Personally I wouldn't miss Hiroshima, but maybe that's just me!