JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Chikavelli (Offline)
New to JF

Exclamation Need suggestions for good hostels in Tokyo! - 01-21-2010, 04:05 AM

Hi there! Has anyone had any experience in dealing with hostels in Downtown Tokyo? Of course lower price and convenience would be a great thing to have. I'm able to even go mid ground if need be. Somewhere kinda close to some Bars/Clubs might be kewl too^^ Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

I will be in Tokyo Mid April to Mid May. So if anyone wants to hang out during the week, I'm down! This is my first time traveling to a different country alone! haha it's pretty cool.. I'm a 29yo White Male btw.

"Ignorance is consent" Michael Tsarion
(#2 (permalink))
Old
metalmark666 (Offline)
JF Regular

Thumbs up Quality hostel chain. - 01-24-2010, 04:01 PM

Hi there.
When I travelled Japan, I used the Khaosan group as much as I could. I used the Ninja hostel in Tokyo and also stayed with them in Fukuoka and Beppu.
Found that the staff were always really nice, the facilities were good too and it is really reasonably priced.
I hope this helps you.
Mark.
Khaosan

Please read my diary that I wrote when travelling and working in Japan for three months. It is also packed full of information. I hope that it can inspire you to have an adventure too.
Please contact me if I can help you with advice or information.

Japan 2008: Memoires of a Gaijin A.K.A. A Journey Through the Land of the Rising Sun
(#3 (permalink))
Old
StueyT (Offline)
JF Regular

02-02-2010, 11:10 AM

Would second that Khaosan in Tokyo are not good stays, in my experience.

K's House in Asakusa gets 10 thumbs up from me. Very friendly staff (Went to extraordinary lengths to help me when I lost my passport), very clean, excellent facilities, 1 min walk to awesome subway links, and you always got people around to chat with.

Very close to all Asakusa sights too!

広島市は一番!
My Flickr
(#4 (permalink))
Old
winters (Offline)
New to JF

02-09-2010, 03:06 PM

All the hostels mentioned in this thread were alternatives in my process of choosing a cheap, good hostel in Tokyo. My friends and I landed on spending most of our nights at K's House, and one or two nights at Khaosan Ninja (or Samurai. Can't remember).

I don't have any experience with either of them, yet, but K's House seems good, cheap, not too far from anything and from what I've read on forums and such it pretty much seems like a pretty good alternative when traveling cheap in Japan.

I would also recommend trying a capsule hotel. Definitely an experience worth getting.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
metalmark666 (Offline)
JF Regular

02-09-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winters View Post
I would also recommend trying a capsule hotel. Definitely an experience worth getting.
Yeah, capsule hotels are something not to be missed when visiting Japan!!

Please read my diary that I wrote when travelling and working in Japan for three months. It is also packed full of information. I hope that it can inspire you to have an adventure too.
Please contact me if I can help you with advice or information.

Japan 2008: Memoires of a Gaijin A.K.A. A Journey Through the Land of the Rising Sun
(#6 (permalink))
Old
typing (Offline)
JF Regular

02-10-2010, 12:39 AM

only reason I'm posting this is because my BF is the web designer and I know the owner

Bamboo House provides affordable furnished apartments, guesthouses, hostels, weekly apartments in tokyo!

BUT I have been to two of their establishments, The one place was REALLY nice (The one in Nishi-nippori) it had a rock garden and a really cute open room, the other one (hmmm I think it was also in Nishi Nippori... Maybe Nippori..) Wasn't as nice, but had a garden on the roof.

Since they have weekly rentals and daily rentals you'll find it cheaper then a hotel, and if you get one of the dorm room situations it's probably on par with the price of most hostels.

I know it's cheaper then Sakura House.

I have great faith in fools -- self confidence my friends call it. -- Edgar Allan Poe
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Kageboushi (Offline)
New to JF

02-17-2010, 04:23 AM

The absolutely cheapest should be New Koyo, but you really don't get more than you pay for. It's kind of shady but if you plan to stay out a lot I wouldn't be too fuzzed and you get used to it too.

However, there are a couple others in the same area (around Minami-Senjuu JR station). Quite a few foreigners stopped me to ask for the Kangaroo Ho(s)tel or something like that, but I don't know how that is. I did have some friends at other hostels around there that were as cheap or around the same as New Koyo, but I can't remember their names at the moment. Supposedly they were all cleaner and nicer than the Koyo, and good value, though not necessarily great.

Maybe someone else can find the names of them. Anyhow, contributing.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
edelweiss (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-14-2010, 10:50 PM

I would never stay in the New Koyo again. They messed up our reservation and we ended up in a putrid room on the second floor on the other side of the wall from the men's bathroom. The room smelled like a urinal. A dirty urinal. We left there feeling very sick. Never again.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
dostoyevsky (Offline)
New to JF

03-20-2010, 05:53 AM

Another vote for Khaosan, I felt it's one of the best hostels I ever stayed in... But then I haven't stayed at any other hostel there. ;-)