JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
MightyFlameboy (Offline)
New to JF

Lonely traveler in need of advice - 01-22-2010, 06:00 PM

Hey guys, I'll be studying in Fukuoka for a short 4-month exchange program from April onwards, and is considering to travel to Japan earlier for a short 1-2 weeks holiday. For some reason, I must always drop by the 3 major cities, Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto whenever I'm there so my itinerary should be based in the Kanto and Kansai area (also for accessibility of transport esp. international airports).

I have a friend who's interested in accompanying me, but I just received bad news from him that he can't commit because of work. I'm now in a dilemma because I'm not sure if I am adventurous enough to travel alone, with all the inconveniences (relying myself for every little thing e.g. keeping an eye on my luggage all the time etc). I've been to Japan 4 times (3 were with guided tours, 1 was free and easy with a friend) so I know my way around, but it's still slightly daunting to travel alone.

I know the answer should possibly lie in my own character and willingness, so you might think this is irrelevant in this forum, but please bear with me. I would greatly appreciate any advice or encouragement from people who have had the experience of traveling alone to Japan. I would also appreciate any recommended itineraries for lonely travelers e.g. avoiding the tourist-y places which make you feel lousy being alone whereas the others are happily touring in their groups (lol) and more of those peaceful, quiet not-as-well-known scenic spots where you can take your own time to absorb the atmosphere and culture, and perhaps do some personal reflections without much disturbance.

I've been to possibly all the major attractions at the 3 cities I've mentioned, including neighboring places such as Hakone, Nara, so I should want to go somewhere less renowned if I do intend to go. I've heard plenty of good reviews about Miyajima and I might be interested in checking it out (although it means I have to go further south. No problem because I'm heading to Fukuoka anyway, but money/hotels might be a problem because I'm intending Tokyo and Osaka to be my base cities for day-trips around those regions). And oh, I'm on student visa so I'm not eligible for JR passes. That stinks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by MightyFlameboy : 01-22-2010 at 06:03 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-23-2010, 01:35 AM

You could try Nagoya, which is actually the third major city after Osaka (Kyoto is very small in reality... only major as a tourist spot)
It sits pretty much between Tokyo and Osaka, so I have no doubt that you`ve traveled through it countless times. As a base, it would make a very nice place - Besides the city itself you have Gifu and all the stuff up there to the north, and Mie to the west.

I wish I could give advice on travelling alone, but I live here so any solo traveling experiences have been after reaching fluency... So I`m sure it`s quite different than your situation.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MightyFlameboy (Offline)
New to JF

01-23-2010, 04:16 AM

Those are very interesting places you've mentioned. I've heard alot about Shirakawa-go from my parents. It fits well with my agenda of exploring new places. I'm too used to the familiarity when I'm in Tokyo or Osaka, so I'm trying to break that since I've already taken a bold step to study in Japan.

Regarding Japanese proficiency, I'll be taking Advanced lessons from next week onwards. I've had several experiences talking to native Japanese in cross-cultural exchanges. Not that many to say I've become comfortable speaking in Japanese, but enough to say that I can still carry a conversation well with a Japanese, albeit the occasional lapses in understanding.

I'm a 23 year old youthful-faced Chinese Singaporean, so if any non-Japanese Asians are around here, I would also kindly appreciate your advice. Thanks Nyororin for the suggestions!