JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
gourmet11 (Offline)
New to JF

Drink spiking: bad experience in Roppongi - 01-23-2010, 10:09 PM

Let me start with a warning:

Look out for drink spiking when you go to Roppongi bars!

I already put a my story to other forums, but I want to repeat it here to make sure nobody gets into the same annoying situation I ended up in.

And here is my story:

We went to Tokyo with three guys for new year. Later the night we explored Roppongi and were brought to a small bar by one of those many black guys. We had some drinks and the next thing I remember is that we sat in the corner of the bar with terrible headaches and our wallets gone! Me and one of my friends had our credit cards in the wallet which were completely emptyfied as we had to learn some days later!!

We asked in the bar what happened, no answer. We went to the police told them about the bar, no reaction. Just recorded the loss of our wallets.

We even know the name of the place, A-point, in the third floor above a Kebab restaurant.

In the embassy we learned that we got drink spiked, which seems to happen rather often in Roppongi, especially in those small bars driven by the black guys out on the street. The embassy is even having a warning on their webpage.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-23-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gourmet11 View Post
Let me start with a warning:

Look out for drink spiking when you go to Roppongi bars!
First in, so from JF I'll say thanks for the update and sorry about your bad experience!

Can't say I'm surprised though; Roppongi is reputedly bad for this kind of thing and people should really stop assuming that just because it's Japan that all of it is 100% safe. Basic rule of thumb; don't drink anything in a nightclub that wasn't made in front of you. If there's a bright side, at least take comfort that they only robbed your wallet and you weren't subject to more physical harm. Again, too bad you had to learn about the seedy side of Tokyo the hard way. Hope you didn't loose too much money!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-23-2010, 11:14 PM

There have been warnings out for this kind of thing in Roppongi for a number of years now- unfortunately the police don't seem to want to do anything about it. I try to put people off going to Roppongi to drink these days- it's getting very seedy. Any place that has those guys touting out on the street seems to be particularly dodgy as well.

Thanks for putting your experience here so others are warned.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-24-2010, 12:46 AM

I agree -- these warnings have been out for years. You really have to be careful. Don't take any more cash than you will need and leave the cards in the hotel safe.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
metalmark666 (Offline)
JF Regular

Unhappy 01-31-2010, 11:02 PM

I found Japan to be one of the safest place I have ever been to EVER!!
In the whole time I was there, the only place that I felt uncomfortable was in Roppongi, it was like being in a bad part of England again.
I hope the experience didn't ruin your perception of Japan and mess things up too much for you.

Please read my diary that I wrote when travelling and working in Japan for three months. It is also packed full of information. I hope that it can inspire you to have an adventure too.
Please contact me if I can help you with advice or information.

Japan 2008: Memoires of a Gaijin A.K.A. A Journey Through the Land of the Rising Sun
(#6 (permalink))
Old
dirtyroboto (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-01-2010, 03:56 PM

I blame the kebab resturant... God knows what evil shit they put in that sauce <OO>
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-01-2010, 09:40 PM

I walked around there in the daytime.

That was enough for me and never went back, it was the one area in Tokyo that turned me off.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
StueyT (Offline)
JF Regular

02-02-2010, 11:20 AM

Wow, just wow...

I got spiked in Roppongi too.

I went out with a group of guys from my hostel, about 7 guys and one gal. As soon as we got off the subway, it all seemed very seedy. Guys trying to pull (literally, pull!) you into their various clubs. We refused all til we came to one with a half-japanese girl on the door. At least we thought this was slightly more authentic so we went in. We negotiated a 1000yen entrance with 1 tequila shot each. Everyone drunk their shot, except one guy who didnt fancy tequila, so I drank his.
That was it, that was the last thing I remember other than waking up in the street for about 5 second after hearing someone cry out 'Check if hes still alive, I dont know where the pulse is' looking at my shirt and seeing my puke splattered all over it, and then blacking out again.

The next morning, I was told by the guy that avoided the drink that all the group was in the same situation except him. He somehow got us all to the subway station and back to the hostel. The girl went to hospital that morning and they found Rophynol in her system.
The drinks came straight from the bar to us. Noone else touched it.

For that whole day, my legs were so weak I couldn't walk for more than a couple of minutes...
I'm a guy who has NEVER blacked out or puked up on a night out. Ever. 1 tequila and 1000yen later...

広島市は一番!
My Flickr
(#9 (permalink))
Old
winters (Offline)
New to JF

02-09-2010, 03:36 PM

I've never heard about this, so thanks for the heads up! Have anyone experienced any trouble with black guys selling girls on the street in the Shinjuku area?
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-09-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winters View Post
I've never heard about this, so thanks for the heads up! Have anyone experienced any trouble with black guys selling girls on the street in the Shinjuku area?
Never saw any of that when I was staying there