JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
wildchase (Offline)
New to JF

Visa Question. - 01-24-2010, 02:15 AM

Hey, i've just joined here. Had a look around here for my question, but it didn't seem to be anywhere recent.

I'm going to Japan 1st March for 5 months. My flight is booked, my insurance is sorted. My language course is booked and paid for. Accomodation has to wait awhile, but otherwise. Sorted. Except i'm getting more and more worried about this Visa business. I've called the Japanese consulate twice for advice, and they've been helpful, but they haven't really assured me.

The original plan was to get a study visa, because i am essentially studying in Japan... The problem is, the school I'm with won't give me a certificate of eligibility because i'm not staying for over 6 months. They recommend that I get a tourist visa and reapply for it before my 180 days are up. That, if everthing goes accordingly, is fine with me. But then they say that i shouldn't mention that i'm studying when i arrive at customs... This kind of scares me... i don't want to be lying to customs.

Would saying that I'm in Japan for studying on a tourist visa void my trip?
What should i expect from customs when I arrive and apply for a tourist visa?
How easy, how long and where should i reapply for this visa?

Thank you!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JayT (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-24-2010, 04:42 AM

I don't understand why they would say to lie to customs like that.
You are allowed to study on a tourist visa, but yes you will have to get it renewed before the 3 months are over, it should extend it for another 3 months.

Student visas is for students that study in Japan 6+ Months, since a tourist on a tourist visa can only stay in Japan 6 months out of a calendar year.

Customs in Japan is very fast compared to most places, it shouldn't be a problem at all.

To renew it you must go to an immigration office or leave the country for a few days before the 90 days are over.

[<--Nan's heart!]

Last edited by JayT : 01-24-2010 at 10:44 AM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-24-2010, 10:06 AM

Your language school sounds kind of fishy, the advice they gave you was illegal. I don't suppose they informed you that to renew your tourist visa you would have to leave Japan and return. Leaving Japan and returning again isn't exactly cheap or convenient, is it? Not to mention the fact that immigration may not give you a second tourist visa, it's entirely up to their discretion, and lately they've been turning away a lot of people trying to get back-to-back tourist visas.

If you are able, you should cancel your plans to study at this so-called school, and cancel your air tickets as well. Then find a reputable school who can provide you the proper, legal paperwork you need to get a student visa.

While you're at it, can you give us the name of this school so no one else here finds themselves in a similar situation?

Last edited by Sangetsu : 01-24-2010 at 10:08 AM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-24-2010, 12:16 PM

Please clear this up with me.

You say you will not be in Japan for more that 6 months , and that the course you will be taking is 5 months. Coming from the UK, you are eligible for a 6 month tourist stay....

So why should you need to reapply to extend the visa? Yes, you`ll need to extend the visa, but it wouldn`t be reapplying - it would simply be extending your period of stay...

I have never heard of a school asking a student to lie about the fact that they will be studying. In fact, lying would actually hurt your chances of having the 90 days extended as it would be hard to come up with a good tourism reason for needing to be in Japan that long. What school is this??

Tell immigration that you`re taking a short term Japanese course that is paid in advance, and show them the dates it is beginning and ending. That is the right way to go about things. There are tons of short term students who come to Japan to study Japanese on tourist visas. Getting a student visa just isn`t worth the time and pain if you are only going to be taking a course that fits within the tourist visa period.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

01-24-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT View Post
Student visas is for students that study in Japan 6+ Months, since a tourist on a tourist visa can only stay in Japan 6 months out of a calendar year.
Source for this? I received three 90 day tourist visas in a row no problem while I waited for my work visa to come through. Doing the math, that's 9 months. Different countries get different time limits (I'm an American), but I had no issue with immigration or customs.

Last edited by Tsuwabuki : 01-24-2010 at 01:26 PM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-24-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuwabuki View Post
Source for this? I received three 90 day tourist visas in a row no problem while I waited for my work visa to come through. Doing the math, that's 9 months. Different countries get different time limits (I'm an American), but I had no issue with immigration or customs.
The key point here may be that you were waiting for a work visa to come through. Thay may make a difference.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

01-24-2010, 02:38 PM

If there's a legit reason to hang out in Japan (and five months of school should definitely do it) for a while, I don't see why immigration or customs should have an issue. As far as I am aware there is no specific law that states "you get an extension if you are waiting for a work visa." In fact, I think Japan prefers, but does not require you, to wait outside of the country.

I know that you now can no longer do a visa change. As of July 2008, you must exit the country, go to Korea, pick up your initial work entry visa, and return. It can be a matter of hours if you plan it correctly, but the ability to change your visa at the immigration office is no longer possible.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
wildchase (Offline)
New to JF

01-24-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post

You say you will not be in Japan for more that 6 months , and that the course you will be taking is 5 months. Coming from the UK, you are eligible for a 6 month tourist stay....

So why should you need to reapply to extend the visa? Yes, you`ll need to extend the visa, but it wouldn`t be reapplying - it would simply be extending your period of stay...
Yes, 5 months, I go on the 1st March and leave 20th July.
I guess i didn't mean extending, sorry. but how, do i extend it?

I have checked out my language school, it seems certified and I was surprised that it asked for this course of action. The course i'm taking is with Apple Languages. This is the email they sent me;

"One extension, as in your case, is permitted and students must declare that the purpose of entry is “tourism”.

UK nationalities can extend their Temporary Visitors Visa once at the Immigration Bureau in Japan, so that they can get maximum 180 days Temporary Visitors Visa.

Our colleagues at the school would be more than happy to provide you with further information on your visa extension once in Japan.

You do not qualify for a student visa as you will be attending a part time course on a recreational basis and you should declare that the reason of your trip is tourism, not study."

I have sent another email to them. I know that i can stay for a total of 180 days, by extending my visa. I just want to know how i go about that? and whether telling immigration exactly why I'm there is going to cause me any trouble as i'd rather not lie.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-24-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post

I have never heard of a school asking a student to lie about the fact that they will be studying. In fact, lying would actually hurt your chances of having the 90 days extended as it would be hard to come up with a good tourism reason for needing to be in Japan that long. What school is this??

Tell immigration that you`re taking a short term Japanese course that is paid in advance, and show them the dates it is beginning and ending. That is the right way to go about things. There are tons of short term students who come to Japan to study Japanese on tourist visas. Getting a student visa just isn`t worth the time and pain if you are only going to be taking a course that fits within the tourist visa period.
The problem is that technically you can't go to school with a working holiday visa. If I were the OP, I would get the WHV just to save the grief of having to try to renew a tourist visa.

The reason the school is recommending a tourist visa is that this releases the school from being legally responsible for anything the student does during their stay. If the OP tells immigration that he wants a tourist visa, but that the purpose of his visit is to attend school, he'll likely be refused.

OP, tell this school you want them to provide you with the form you need for a proper visa. If they give you a hard time, tell them you'll give immigration the instructions they sent you telling you to illegally state the purpose of your visit. I'm sure they'll come around quickly then. If they are a properly accredited school, they should have no problem providing you with the legal paperwork which you need. If they still insist that you try to study in Japan using a tourist visa, then find another school.

If you still want to go to this school, apply now for a working holiday visa, just tell them that you are coming to Japan to experience the culture.