JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
MSTRKRFT (Offline)
New to JF

Weather? - 01-27-2010, 05:15 AM

I currently live in the U.S. (Virginia), and was told by my stepfather, an engineer who works for the company Canon, and someone who's visited Japan a few times for business, that the weather in Japan is extremely similar to Virginia. (In fact, he added that that was the very reason they chose to build their east coast base in this state).

I trust him, but still wanted to get a second opinion, especially from those of you who live there//have visited.

Thanks!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

01-27-2010, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSTRKRFT View Post
I currently live in the U.S. (Virginia), and was told by my stepfather, an engineer who works for the company Canon, and someone who's visited Japan a few times for business, that the weather in Japan is extremely similar to Virginia. (In fact, he added that that was the very reason they chose to build their east coast base in this state).

I trust him, but still wanted to get a second opinion, especially from those of you who live there//have visited.

Thanks!
That is true for a large extent though Japan is larger than most people seem to think. Hokkaido and Okinawa are like two different countires weather-wise.

For one thing, the humidity is very similar between Japan and TN/VA/KY/NC. This is why you will see the same kinds of trees in Japan that you are used to seeing where you are.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-27-2010, 06:10 AM

Very similar, if you are talking about the Canon offices here in Tokyo. They are also located near the coast. Winters are cold (with occasional snow), summers are hot and humid. If it weren't for all the Japanese people here, and the lack of good barbecue, you might even think it was Virginia...
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

01-27-2010, 06:49 AM

Honestly, aside from more mountains, climate isn't that much different from Georgia. Guess more snow, but very similar. Not so similar to Texas though.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MSTRKRFT (Offline)
New to JF

01-27-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
Very similar, if you are talking about the Canon offices here in Tokyo. They are also located near the coast. Winters are cold (with occasional snow), summers are hot and humid. If it weren't for all the Japanese people here, and the lack of good barbecue, you might even think it was Virginia...
Hahahah! And not to mention an extremely low quantity of Rednecks and jacked up pick-ups displaying confederate flags.

But in all seriousness, everything you just said pretty much sounds EXACTLY like Virginia. Extremely variable, which I guess is both a good and bad thing.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-28-2010, 12:46 AM

I was born in Ohio and never lived in Virginia to make the comparison to there... But in my experience summers in Japan are not all that different than Ohio. Winters, on the other hand, are much milder here. In Japan (at least where I live) it`s rare for it to drop much below freezing even as the low at night. Where I grew up, it wasn`t unheard of for it to drop to below 0F (-18C).

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.