JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

Useful Points When Visiting Japan - 02-03-2010, 08:41 AM

I wrote this for a local Japanese/English paper, and thought I might share...

Everyone in Japan has studied English, right?

Indeed, everyone living in Japan who has graduated from high school has studied English for at least six years. However, the majority of Japanese cannot speak more than very fundamental English. Do not count on the English of strangers to get you where you want to go.Make preparations, and print out maps and vital information in advance. It is much easier for someone to point you in the direction of the right station than it is to explain the three changes you need to make to get to Disneyland.

Just this trip I ran into a man at a train station in Akasaka who was looking for the American Embassy in Tokyo. He was relatively close, but didn't know the exact way. "I can't believe no staff in this train station speak English or understand the word 'embassy'," he said to me. It didn't occur to him that looking up the word "embassy" in Japanese (taishikan) before he set out, or at least carrying a dictionary, could have saved him probably hours of hassle. Be prepared for anything. This leads to our next to points...

What about a cell phone?

A few years ago I wouldn't have worried about it so much, but especially if you are doing business, a cell phone is really a must have item. If something comes up and your client needs to get a hold of you, it is your responsibility to be accessible. Even for pleasure trips, renting a cell phone at the airport can certainly buy you peace of mind over the length of your stay. Pay phones are becoming dusty relics as Japan truly becomes a fully cell phone culture. You can make reservations online in advance in English, but keep in mind there may be a half dozen or more outlets at the airport, so, again, print out all the information in advance, including a map to the rental phone counter, before you board your plane. A search of "Narita phone rental" will get you started.

Am I going to be stared at? / Am I going to be treated like a rock star?

These are two common questions that are essentially asking the same thing: "By being a foreigner am I going to be treated differently?" Either I will be giving you relief or popping your bubble by telling you that in 2010 your blond hair and blue eyes are no longer anything that special on their own. The larger the city you go to the less attention you are going to attract just for being a non-Japanese. And that's the way it should be, right?

However this goes back to the first question. Sometimes I notice foreigners in Japan confuse the high level or service one receives just about everywhere with a rock star mentality. As a result every so often they can subconsciously try and get away with things they wouldn't get away with at home or shirk responsibility (like assuming you can get directions to the embassy without speaking Japanese.) Keep in mind you are not getting great service because you are special, but because that is the culture of Japan's service industry. Allow people to take care of you at the level they are paid to do, but remember just because they treat you like royalty doesn't mean you should treat them like a servant. A hearty arigatou goes a long way in leaving a lasting impression (and even better service in the future).

As a tourist, should I get a rail pass?

It really depends on how much long distance traveling you plan on doing, and unless it is a lot, it probably isn't worth it. The JR Rail Pass is about $500 (45,100 yen) for two weeks. To put it in perspective, a round trip to Osaka from Tokyo on the bullet train is about $300. It is important to remember that the JR Rail Pass is only for JR line trains. For example, while in Tokyo I almost never rode JR, but was mostly using the subways. Even still, I spent less than $10 a day on trains. If you are planning on several shinkansen trips during your stay then remember to buy the Rail Pass in advance. It cannot be purchased in Japan. Which leads us to our next question...

A trip to Japan isn't complete without a visit to Tokyo.

I can't count how many times I have heard this statement, and I am really not sure where it comes from. It's a little like saying a trip to the US isn't complete without a visit to Los Angeles. There are lots of things to see in Tokyo, no doubt about it, but don't limit yourself. If your trip to Japan is more than about five days, then be sure to schedule some time away. Personally I like Osaka because you are day trips away from Nara, Kyoto and Kobe, which makes for a superfecta of four cities with four very different personalities. Yokohama is a hop and a skip from Tokyo, and has the largest Chinatown in Japan. The point is, don't deny yourself the very real world of Japan outside of Tokyo. Even Tokyoites would agree.

I have a 90 day visa, so I want do use every minute of it!

I really think especially with a first trip to Japan, less is more. "If I am paying $XXX for a ticket, I want to stay in Japan as long as possible." I understand the math, but what can start as a great first (or second, or third) trip can end up an awful experience by simply extending it for too long and stretching funds too thin. Depending on the individual, I think two to three weeks is the optimum time for a trip. It allows for a reasonable schedule (don't plan on more than two or three sites or events in a day). There is a user on JF planning on spending 60 days in southern Kyoto (after a month with his GF in Hokkaido). He had picked that area from something he had heard, but has no real plans other than to rent a weekly mansion and tour around Kyoto. The problem is that's like spending 60 days touring around Portland. You can certainly keep busy for a week... maybe even two. But after that you have 45 days alone and very little to do. In the end the experience will be much fuller spending the same amount of money on better food and lodging and seeing more of Japan. End your trip wanting more, not wishing you went home weeks or even months earlier.

Last edited by MMM : 02-03-2010 at 08:49 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-03-2010, 08:58 AM

I`ll add a few comments on some of these - hope you don`t mind, MMM.

Everyone in Japan has studied English, right?

I would compare the level of actual English comprehension to that of say, Spanish in the US. (With those who do not come from a Spanish speaking family/background) There is plenty of casual exposure to English, and students do have to take it in school. But like the majority of required language studies, everyone forgets it the minute they`ve passed the test and gotten the credit.

I think people should also be careful not to interpret this the other way. If you get a look - it`s far more likely to be because you DID something strange rather than "racism". If people approach you to help in English, don`t interpret it as "They`re discriminating by assuming I can`t speak Japanese!!" - this is especially true if you really can`t speak Japanese.

A trip to Japan isn't complete without a visit to Tokyo.

I personally hate Tokyo. It`s a big dirty busy city with all the stress and crowding anyone could possibly want. There are other cities in Japan where you don`t end up tired out from crowded train trips and being pushed along in a sea of people. Other cities where most of the same stuff is available as in Tokyo, and tourist sites that aren`t so full you can barely enjoy them.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-03-2010, 10:25 AM

Thanks for the additional comments, Nyororin.

As the years go by I am finding that my understanding of Japanese is assumed. Rarely do people approach me in English, like they did a decade or two ago.

I agree, if people are looking at you, it is probably because of something you did.

Tokyo is not my favorite city in Japan, but I think it does have certain charms in certain places.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

02-03-2010, 05:25 PM

Thanks for the info. It will be useful (t me) in the future!

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
02-03-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post

I think people should also be careful not to interpret this the other way. If you get a look - it`s far more likely to be because you DID something strange rather than "racism". If people approach you to help in English, don`t interpret it as "They`re discriminating by assuming I can`t speak Japanese!!" - this is especially true if you really can`t speak Japanese.
Nyororin and MMM once again give great insight into preparation for visiting Japan especially if its your first time. Having experience people prep you so to speak will go a long way in enjoying your Japanese experience.

I wanted to touch on Am i going to be stared at because it seems to come up quite frequently. With my own experience especially my first time in Japan.

First let me state Im a 6'1 Black American w/ pretty light skin and Im not one of those people that gets really strange or uncomfortable when people stare at me. However i did get quite a bit of stares of on my first trip and given it was first time in Japan i noticed it a lot. It did not bother me since i had ask this very same question before i went and expected it. I knew that there was no malice behind it but lets face it I was as foreign as can be. I knew the reason why i was being stared at i just kept on my way and made sure not to do anything out of the ordinary or strange (As Nyororin stated). I did have several people talk to me and i did my best with my broken Japanese lol and they were just mainly curious. The friends i did make were curious about Black American culture mainly the things they got from the media or saw on Tv or music i answered their questions to the best of my ability and i asked them questions as well. I learned so much on my first trip to Japan that its still one of the pinnacles of my life and i had a blast. All because i didnt let things like this bother me.

Now that was 13 years ago and since my return trips to Japan have been wonderful experiences did i get stared at the other times sure but as time went on i noticed it less and less and as more foreigners become permanent residents in Japan over time it will lessen even more. Unless you go out to the real rural areas.

I guess all I can say is even if you get stared at dont let it bother you just keep going about your business. Iv had several friends say that it ruined the experience for them because they felt nervous like they were doing something wrong. If you were not doing anything wrong then it shouldn't be a big deal. You should be more focused on finding your way around then someone staring at you. Kids in any country are going to stare you that's what kids do don't let it bother you. If you cant handle getting a couple of stares then i would suggest not going because thats all you will focus on and it will ruin your trip.

(#6 (permalink))
Old
metalmark666 (Offline)
JF Regular

02-03-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
As a tourist, should I get a rail pass?

It really depends on how much long distance traveling you plan on doing, and unless it is a lot, it probably isn't worth it. The JR Rail Pass is about $500 (45,100 yen) for two weeks. To put it in perspective, a round trip to Osaka from Tokyo on the bullet train is about $300. It is important to remember that the JR Rail Pass is only for JR line trains. For example, while in Tokyo I almost never rode JR, but was mostly using the subways. Even still, I spent less than $10 a day on trains. If you are planning on several shinkansen trips during your stay then remember to buy the Rail Pass in advance. It cannot be purchased in Japan. Which leads us to our next question...
I found the rail pass invaluable, we visited 11 different cities in 21 days with it, plus excursions along the way. I would love to know how much money we saved. Also, we brought ours when the exchange rate was high!!

Please read my diary that I wrote when travelling and working in Japan for three months. It is also packed full of information. I hope that it can inspire you to have an adventure too.
Please contact me if I can help you with advice or information.

Japan 2008: Memoires of a Gaijin A.K.A. A Journey Through the Land of the Rising Sun
(#7 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
02-03-2010, 10:23 PM

Great and useful points, MMM.

Of course the last bit is directed straight to me, but I think it all depends on the individual. Not everyone is exactly like you, and has the same mentality as you.

I'll admit, 90 days is quite a long stay for a first real trip to a foreign country.
But it's over a year and a half away, that's where there is no definite schedule yet. I have free accommodation, and that's why I "want to use every minute of it."

Agreed with MMM, if you have a tight time schedule, (I.e: Job) you should definitely spend your time in a foreign country as frugal as possible, and seeing everything you can in regards to your time and or financial limitations.

But as for me, I have no time schedule, therefore my circumstances are different. Not to mention I have loved ones that I will be visiting, and want to spend as much time with as possible.

Just thought I'd clear that up.

猿も木から落ちる
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-04-2010, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmark666 View Post
I found the rail pass invaluable, we visited 11 different cities in 21 days with it, plus excursions along the way. I would love to know how much money we saved. Also, we brought ours when the exchange rate was high!!
I would say 11 cities in 21 days is exactly the kind of traveller that should buy a rail pass.

My concern is people think Japanese trains are really expensive, when in reality they really aren't. People that plan on spending a week in Tokyo and a few days in Kyoto and Osaka (for example) will be paying too much if they go for a rail pass. Within Tokyo itself it is hard to spend more than $10 a day, as most trips in the city are under $2 dollars, if planned properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanX View Post
Great and useful points, MMM.

Of course the last bit is directed straight to me, but I think it all depends on the individual. Not everyone is exactly like you, and has the same mentality as you.

I'll admit, 90 days is quite a long stay for a first real trip to a foreign country.
But it's over a year and a half away, that's where there is no definite schedule yet. I have free accommodation, and that's why I "want to use every minute of it."

Agreed with MMM, if you have a tight time schedule, (I.e: Job) you should definitely spend your time in a foreign country as frugal as possible, and seeing everything you can in regards to your time and or financial limitations.

But as for me, I have no time schedule, therefore my circumstances are different. Not to mention I have loved ones that I will be visiting, and want to spend as much time with as possible.

Just thought I'd clear that up.
Yes, it is directed toward your story, Alan. Since when did you have a free accomodation in Kyoto? Since when do you have loved ones in Kyoto? Am I remembering the story differently.

And Alan, I know not everyone thinks exactly like me, nor should they.

But I know people who have said exactly what you did, and then have come back saying "I ran out of things to do in a month. I was just watching the calander waiting to go home."

Hell, I know people who had full time jobs and lots of friends who essentially snapped after a certain period of time (about 6 months). The two I am thinking of off the tip of my head were sent home by their employers.

People think they know themselves, but you really learn a lot about yourself when you place yourself in a very foreign situation.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
02-04-2010, 01:40 AM

MMM, my situation isn't "HURP DURP I'ma go to Japan and dick around in the same town for 90 days whoop!!!"

The point of my trip isn't entirely to sight see. If it was, then of course I would be a complete idiot for staying in the same spot the entire time.
The main point of my trip will be to visit loved ones, and maybe some small sight seeing in my free time here and there.

I do not have family/friend in Kyoto. It was merely an idea to stay in Kyoto.

I think what you're trying to say is if you're going to Japan as a sight seeing vacation, then you should make the most of it. I completely agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post

People think they know themselves, but you really learn a lot about yourself when you place yourself in a very foreign situation.
This isn't my first time out of the country. First time alone, yes.

You can use me as an example if you want, MMM, but so long as you know the points you are trying to make don't actually apply to my situation as you might think they do.

猿も木から落ちる
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-04-2010, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanX View Post
MMM, my situation isn't "HURP DURP I'ma go to Japan and dick around in the same town for 90 days whoop!!!"

The point of my trip isn't entirely to sight see. If it was, then of course I would be a complete idiot for staying in the same spot the entire time.
The main point of my trip will be to visit loved ones, and maybe some small sight seeing in my free time here and there.

I do not have family/friend in Kyoto. It was merely an idea to stay in Kyoto.

I think what you're trying to say is if you're going to Japan as a sight seeing vacation, then you should make the most of it. I completely agree.

This isn't my first time out of the country. First time alone, yes.

You can use me as an example if you want, MMM, but so long as you know the points you are trying to make don't actually apply to my situation as you might think they do.
If I remember correctly, you are planning a month in Hokkaido with loved ones, then 60 days in Kyoto on your own.

60 days on your own all alone in a foreign country is a risky mental venture. It may be a zen experience for you, and I hope it is. I am just saying I would not advise it.