LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
GreyWolf (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Skype™ to GreyWolf
The Best and least best - 02-09-2010, 03:11 PM

Hi,
can anyone tell me (excluding the Golden Fortnight).
1) When is the best time to visit Kyoto?
2) When is the least best time?
3) When is the most expensive time?
4) When is the cheapest time?

Domo Arrigato.

Ralph.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Kageboushi (Offline)
New to JF

02-17-2010, 04:55 AM

I'm not 100% on this, but going by what the natives say, the sakura blossom period should be the best. If you're like most people who like going to japan for holidays then you'll probably like this. Since this time also attracts a lot of domestic tourism I would assume it to be the busiest = most expensive as well.

The worst I guess depends on what you want to avoid. July or mid-July to early August seems to be rainy season but it varies quite a bit. Last year's rain went on forever and killed a bunch of people in the process. Then I guess towards the end of August there's usually some typhoons, but maybe the Kansai area is reasonably safe from those.

Besides that the summer is really warm and winter is reasonably cold (depends what you're used to). A lot of people say Japan is best in spring and autumn as these are the milder seasons.

I don't know what the cheapest time to go is.

Wooosshh . . .
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-17-2010, 07:09 AM

Personally the best time is Late March to April when cherry blossoms are blooming, but it is difficult to schedule a trip exactly for that.

August festival times are also great, but it is very hot and humid.

The end of the year is also good, as there are many New Year's events at temples, but it is also very cold.

Kyoto is a good example of Japan's "four seasons". Every season shows a different face, so you will see a different one every season you go.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
GreyWolf (Offline)
New to JF

03-03-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kageboushi View Post
I'm not 100% on this, but going by what the natives say, the sakura blossom period should be the best. If you're like most people who like going to japan for holidays then you'll probably like this. Since this time also attracts a lot of domestic tourism I would assume it to be the busiest = most expensive as well.

The worst I guess depends on what you want to avoid. July or mid-July to early August seems to be rainy season but it varies quite a bit. Last year's rain went on forever and killed a bunch of people in the process. Then I guess towards the end of August there's usually some typhoons, but maybe the Kansai area is reasonably safe from those.

Besides that the summer is really warm and winter is reasonably cold (depends what you're used to). A lot of people say Japan is best in spring and autumn as these are the milder seasons.

I don't know what the cheapest time to go is.
Thank you for that info'. One of our concerns is mosquitos as my wife gets bitten if any nasties are about, so the humid season is possibly a time to avoid.
Regards,

Ralph.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
GreyWolf (Offline)
New to JF

03-03-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Personally the best time is Late March to April when cherry blossoms are blooming, but it is difficult to schedule a trip exactly for that.

August festival times are also great, but it is very hot and humid.

The end of the year is also good, as there are many New Year's events at temples, but it is also very cold.

Kyoto is a good example of Japan's "four seasons". Every season shows a different face, so you will see a different one every season you go.
Thanks for replying. The "Golden Fortnight" (April/May) would be good, but I understand that it is a very popular time with the Japanese and so is both crowded and expensive. We may have to dig deep and when the locals go.

Regards,

Ralph.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-04-2010, 12:09 AM

Rainy season is late June to mid-July, it doesn't go into August. Other than the festivals (Gion matsuri in July and Daimonji yaki in August), I would avoid mid summer in Kyoto because the heat is brutal. It was 39 degrees C when I was there for the Gion matsuri twice. I personally am not a fan of sightseeing outdoors in very cold weather so mid-winter doesn't appeal to me much either. Autumn was nice there.

The most expensive and crowded times will be April because of the cherry blossoms, November when the autumn leaves have changed colour, the times of the major festivals, Golden Week, and Obon.

I also get bitten by mosquitoes if I forget the repellant but don't really see that as a reason to avoid a place. You will find mosquitoes all over Japan from late spring to autumn, so they are hard to avoid unless you want to come in winter.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
GreyWolf (Offline)
New to JF

03-04-2010, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasi View Post
Rainy season is late June to mid-July, it doesn't go into August. Other than the festivals (Gion matsuri in July and Daimonji yaki in August), I would avoid mid summer in Kyoto because the heat is brutal. It was 39 degrees C when I was there for the Gion matsuri twice. I personally am not a fan of sightseeing outdoors in very cold weather so mid-winter doesn't appeal to me much either. Autumn was nice there.

The most expensive and crowded times will be April because of the cherry blossoms, November when the autumn leaves have changed colour, the times of the major festivals, Golden Week, and Obon.

I also get bitten by mosquitoes if I forget the repellant but don't really see that as a reason to avoid a place. You will find mosquitoes all over Japan from late spring to autumn, so they are hard to avoid unless you want to come in winter.
Thank you Sarasi-san, I hadn't thought about the crowds at festival time, but maybe that is actually one of the best times to be there to see it all. As for the mosquito problem, I think we may have to just use my homeopathy remedies and reluctantly slap on the repellant.

Regards,

Ralph.