JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
alcachino33 (Offline)
New to JF

Lightbulb Food items to bring from the states - 02-13-2010, 05:35 PM

Hello, I'm a 3rd year university student who's about to study abroad in Tokyo for the spring. I will be living with a host family and I really want to make sure the cultural exchange is reciprocal, as a way of showing my gratitude for showing me things, etc.

I want to make food for them that is considered staple in the states, and I was wondering what kinds of grocery items are harder to come by in Japan. I figured this could be a nice change of pace breakfast/dinner-wise as well as offsetting my homesickness for lowbrow Western food after a month or so.

I am already thinking about peanut butter (for pb&j) and velveeta cheese (to make macaroni). I don't want to take too much, though, so I need small packages, meaning no cereal boxes...

Anybody living in Japan who misses a particular food item?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-13-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcachino33 View Post
Hello, I'm a 3rd year university student who's about to study abroad in Tokyo for the spring. I will be living with a host family and I really want to make sure the cultural exchange is reciprocal, as a way of showing my gratitude for showing me things, etc.

I want to make food for them that is considered staple in the states, and I was wondering what kinds of grocery items are harder to come by in Japan. I figured this could be a nice change of pace breakfast/dinner-wise as well as offsetting my homesickness for lowbrow Western food after a month or so.

I am already thinking about peanut butter (for pb&j) and velveeta cheese (to make macaroni). I don't want to take too much, though, so I need small packages, meaning no cereal boxes...

There are few things that cannot be found in Tokyo.

Are you bringing these things for yourself, or for your host family? If you want to show your appreciation for being hosted, I'd pass on PB and jelly sandwiches or Mac and Cheese.

Hi quality cheese, hi quality maple syrup, a bottle of local wine or spirits...these are better items.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

02-14-2010, 02:54 AM

Beef Jerkey. Cheaper and better from the states.

Taco Kits!!! They can be found in Tokyo or Osaka, but only at specialty stores, and they are super expensive. Just pack them carefully so they won't crushed. And make sure they're properly sealed so customs doesn't freak out.

Mexican food sucks here, if you can even find it. Tex-mex? Nigh impossible.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-14-2010, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuwabuki View Post
Beef Jerkey. Cheaper and better from the states.

Taco Kits!!! They can be found in Tokyo or Osaka, but only at specialty stores, and they are super expensive. Just pack them carefully so they won't crushed. And make sure they're properly sealed so customs doesn't freak out.

Mexican food sucks here, if you can even find it. Tex-mex? Nigh impossible.
Sounds likes a business opportunity
(#5 (permalink))
Old
dirtyroboto (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-15-2010, 10:51 AM

Beef jerky can be found here in many places. Very good quality jerky can even be found in Donkey.

Tacos, nachos are not so hard to find and tortillas are very easy to come across.

Best advice for anyone here and looking for this stuff is to go to your local indian resturant and ask where they buy their stuff.
This way you will find a really good shop to buy stuff you wont find in normal Japanese shops.

Caution on fine cheese as they will confiscate it if they find it. I have bought cheese in from the UK with no trouble though.

I don't think I have seen Fluff over here but I would guess its not a good taste for their pallet.

I would suggest bringing stuff from your home state or general USA like key chains, disney stuff, pens or the like.
As for food stuffs get locally produced honey or other preserve, also pickles go down well here.
Try to buy something that suggests a season - Spring/summer/autumn/winter as this will also go down well.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
JayT (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-15-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcachino33 View Post

Bring the Velveeta Mac And Cheese, that's something you aren't going to find here. Oh how I miss it

[<--Nan's heart!]