JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Somisorange (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Skype™ to Somisorange
First Time to Japan, Itinerary comment needed, pls :) - 02-15-2010, 11:10 AM

Hi, I'm Som from Thailand and I'm new to this forum. I'd gone through some of the posts and found that people here are very helpful and possess insight tips for new comers

I have my trip to Japan planned and would like to have some comments and suggestions from you. The trip will start from March 27, 2010 (fly from Bangkok to Osaka) to April 5 (fly from Narita to Bangkok). There will be only my friend and I, we are both female from Thailand and just graduate -- so we are on a budget trip and we only need to stay safe, moderate eat (would rather have it like local), flea market, and travel off-beaten track

Mar 27: Leave Bangkok around midnight
Mar 28*: Arrive Osaka (KIX) by 11am, train to Kyoto (flea market@Koshoji temple, Fushimi Inari)
Mar 29*: Kyoto (Kiyomizudera, Heian Shrine, Nanzenji, Path of Philosophy, Ginkakuji, Gion/Nijo Castle)
Mar 30: Kyoto (Kitano Tenmagu Shrine, Kinkakuji, Ryoanji, Nishiki Food Market, Gion/Nijo Castle)
Mar 31*: Tokyo (Sumida Cruise, Asakusa, Ueno, Ameyoko, Akihabara)
Apr 1*: Tokyo's Tsukiji Fish market + Hakone
Apr 2*: Kamakura for half a day and head to Shizuoka
Apr 3*: Shizuoka (Shizuoka festival, Nihondira, Hagiwara strawberry farm)
Apr 4*: Tokyo (Aoyama Cemetery, Takeshitadori, Harajuku, Meiji-jingu, Shibuya, Shinjuku, Metro building, Nakameguro, Tokyo Tower/Odaiba)
Apr 5: Wrap-up(maybe buy souvenir @Asakusa), Leave for Narita around 10am for flight at 1pm.

We have booked rooms for our trip already because of visa application. We will stay in Kyoto on Mar 28-29, spend a night in Tokyo on March 31, Hakone on Apr 1, and stay in Shizuoka on April 2. Then, we will spend the rest (Apr 3-4) in Tokyo (Asakusa area).

Problems are:
- I'm not sure if we should take an overnight bus from Kyoto to Tokyo on Mar 30, to save money and time.
- If we don't take an overnight bus from Kyoto to Tokyo, the other option is JR shinkansen, which means we have to book a room for Mar 30's night either in Kyoto or Tokyo. Which would be good?
- According to my plan, do you think it is better to buy a JR rail pass?
- Do you know where is the best place to overlook Odaiba and rainbow bridge at night and take a picture?
- Is it possible to squeeze Arashiyama and Eigamura into my Kyoto trip During Mar 28 - 30?

I'm very excited for the trip and will sure share more update or reviews when I know more about the trip. I'm looking forward to seeing your advices and Thank you very much for all your help!

PS. I know this is quite too much in detail, but it is our first time traveling abroad alone. So, we want to make sure that we won't mess things up.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
BizenKiyomitsu (Offline)
New to JF

Your trip to Japan - 02-15-2010, 12:04 PM

Hello Som-san, welcome to Japan beforehand.

I suggest you to take Shinkansen Train. It will be almost 2 hours from Kyoto to Tokyo. (If you take Nozomi or Hikari.) Also it might be good experience for foreigners. Both in Kyoto and Tokyo we have many cheap and safe plcases to stay.

As for JR Rail pass, as long as I take a look at your Trip plan, you do not have to buy it.

Odaiba, hum, how about "http://www.caretta.jp/english/" ?

As for Mar. 30th, you'd better go to Arashiyama and Eigamura than Kitano Tenmanngu and Nishiki market.

Just FYI, you will come to Japan in the season of SAKURA. So, April 3rd and 4th would be ridiculously congested everywhere.

Above is my comment. Enjoy your stay (^ ^)v
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Somisorange (Offline)
New to JF

02-16-2010, 03:18 AM

Hello BizenKiyomitsu-san,

Thank you for your advice. So, spend a night of Mar 30 in Kyoto and travel to Tokyo on the next morning is good? Do you think it is possible to catch a sight of Mt. Fuji on the way from Kyoto to Tokyo?

Also, thank you for the link of Caretta. I'll have to check it out when I'm there. Maybe a good cocktail while observing rainbow bridge

I'm waiting for more comments, if possible. Thank you for reading ^v^
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-16-2010, 03:54 AM

No need for a rail pass. You are taking only one JR Shinkansen ride (about 16,000 yen each) JR Rail Pass will be a waste of money.

I would also say you are scheduling two to four times too many events in one day.

In one day: Aoyama Cemetery, Takeshitadori, Harajuku, Meiji-jingu, Shibuya, Shinjuku, Metro building, Nakameguro, Tokyo Tower/Odaiba?

Impossible. I would do Tokyo Tower in the morning, grab lunch, then Odaiba in the afternoon then maybe Shinjuku for dinner.

It would take me a month to do your itinerary...but i don't like rushing.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
BizenKiyomitsu (Offline)
New to JF

Your trip to Japan - 02-16-2010, 12:01 PM

Hello Som-san again, Please call me Bizen.

Ya, I recommend to stay in Kyoto night of 30th, and take early Shinkansen to Tokyo. Your schedule seems tight, so you'd better keep your energy. (I know you are young.)

As for Mt. Fuji, in spring Japan is relatively humid and tend to be cloudy. So, please do not expect too much, may be 30~40% chance. One minor recommendation is sitting left side of seats. It is direction of Mt. Fuji.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Somisorange (Offline)
New to JF

02-17-2010, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
No need for a rail pass. You are taking only one JR Shinkansen ride (about 16,000 yen each) JR Rail Pass will be a waste of money.
Thank you MMM. And do you think it is worth to buy JR Rail Pass if I'm not only going to Tokyo from Kyoto, but also a round trip from Tokyo to Shizuoka? Or it is better and cheaper to just ride on local train?

Quote:
I would also say you are scheduling two to four times too many events in one day.

In one day: Aoyama Cemetery, Takeshitadori, Harajuku, Meiji-jingu, Shibuya, Shinjuku, Metro building, Nakameguro, Tokyo Tower/Odaiba?

Impossible. I would do Tokyo Tower in the morning, grab lunch, then Odaiba in the afternoon then maybe Shinjuku for dinner.

It would take me a month to do your itinerary...but i don't like rushing.
Haha, I understand what you mean. I'd rather take it slow and appreciate the city bit by bit if I have a month for travel. However, it's too bad that I only have about a week in Japan and only about 3 days in Tokyo. That's why I want to make the most of my time. Our plan is just to take photo with Tokyo Tower down from street and go see the city's view from Government Metro building instead. Ah, it does look like a very rush schedule, but hopefully I could make it.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Somisorange (Offline)
New to JF

02-17-2010, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizenKiyomitsu View Post
Hello Som-san again, Please call me Bizen.

Ya, I recommend to stay in Kyoto night of 30th, and take early Shinkansen to Tokyo. Your schedule seems tight, so you'd better keep your energy. (I know you are young.)

As for Mt. Fuji, in spring Japan is relatively humid and tend to be cloudy. So, please do not expect too much, may be 30~40% chance. One minor recommendation is sitting left side of seats. It is direction of Mt. Fuji.
Wow Bizen-san, it's good to know that. I'll keep in mind that I have to book a seat on left side. If we don't see it on the way from Kyoto to Tokyo, possibly we can see it on the way from Tokyo to Shizuoka?

Since you and MMM agree that my schedule is tight, I might have to lessen my plan ;( Well, I think I'll do that once I'm there, for sure. I could be tired and don't want to spend time traveling from place to place that much. Haha. We'll see.

Thank you again for all your help!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-17-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somisorange View Post
Thank you MMM. And do you think it is worth to buy JR Rail Pass if I'm not only going to Tokyo from Kyoto, but also a round trip from Tokyo to Shizuoka? Or it is better and cheaper to just ride on local train?

Haha, I understand what you mean. I'd rather take it slow and appreciate the city bit by bit if I have a month for travel. However, it's too bad that I only have about a week in Japan and only about 3 days in Tokyo. That's why I want to make the most of my time. Our plan is just to take photo with Tokyo Tower down from street and go see the city's view from Government Metro building instead. Ah, it does look like a very rush schedule, but hopefully I could make it.
"Local Trains" will always be cheaper, but even if you are riding a shinkansen, paying "as is" will be cheaper, as not all your trains will be JR.

I was in Tokyo for 5 days last month, and in five days I rode trains every day, but only rode JR two times (in one day). Even then, I spent less than 1000 yen a day on trains in Tokyo.

Making the most of your time does not necessarily mean seeing a high volume of places.

It is the quality, not the quantity of the places you see.

Many of the places you have chosen should be seen with a calm heart and mind, and not with the countdown clock running. That is the point of many of the temples and shrines on your list: to be places of relaxation, introspection, and awe. If you want to rush through them then you might as well watch videos of tours on You-Tube. You will be wasting your time and money and missing anything more than photographs.

I agree, Tokyo Tower can just be a photo, though it is pretty cool to get the view from the top.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Kageboushi (Offline)
New to JF

02-17-2010, 08:49 AM

I recommend a beer at the top floor bar in the Tokyo Dome Hotel. It's higher up than the Tokyo Towers main observatory + Beer for less money.

Wooosshh . . .
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Somisorange (Offline)
New to JF

02-18-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
It is the quality, not the quantity of the places you see.

Many of the places you have chosen should be seen with a calm heart and mind, and not with the countdown clock running. That is the point of many of the temples and shrines on your list: to be places of relaxation, introspection, and awe. If you want to rush through them then you might as well watch videos of tours on You-Tube. You will be wasting your time and money and missing anything more than photographs.
Agreed, MMM. Thank you for your suggestion You were right, I can do You-tube thingy if I will only rush through the places. I'll take your recommendation to travel slow.