JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japan Travel Advice (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/)
-   -   A hard decision to take: Gifts in Japan? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/30446-hard-decision-take-gifts-japan.html)

Sofaparasite 02-15-2010 07:54 PM

A hard decision to take: Gifts in Japan?

Hi I am new in here ;)

In the near future, I will hopefully go to Japan, yeahh.....

I am willing to take part in an exchange program andsince then I've been wondering which housewarming gifts I should bring along ^^

I live in the very middle of Europe and could provide my guest family with all the things they dream of... but what would japanese expect or want?

I am looking forward to receiving your help :D :D :D

MMM 02-15-2010 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofaparasite (Post 800355)
Hi I am new in here ;)

In the near future, I will hopefully go to Japan, yeahh.....

I am willing to take part in an exchange program andsince then I've been wondering which housewarming gifts I should bring along ^^

I live in the very middle of Europe and could provide my guest family with all the things they dream of... but what would japanese expect or want?

I am looking forward to receiving your help :D :D :D

It depends a bit on the family you will be staying with. How many children are in the family? How old are they? Does the father or mother like to drink alcohol? Etc.

Somisorange 02-16-2010 06:52 AM

Maybe something to represent your home country? I brought silk scraf and wooden craft fromThailand, my home country, to my host family in Japan and they love it :)

metalmark666 02-16-2010 07:25 AM

Because I was travelling for a long time and had limited space, we took small gifts. I had a small pin badge with the Union Jack on it, and my brother had a carabineer with a Union Jack on it too. We both had a bundle of these and gave them to various people that we met and to our hosts. Whoever received them was really happy and when we went back to visit a few, they were wearing my badge and using my brothers clip. :)

Sofaparasite 02-16-2010 04:39 PM

well I come from a rather small country (not to say tiny one:ywave: )

we don't really have one specific cultural background...
would it be okay to bring some really tasty wine, I don't want to give my host family the impression that we (in my country) are some kind of alcoholics, and that's the only thing we think about :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

would it then be ok to bring food with me or are they picky eaters?

Polar 02-16-2010 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofaparasite (Post 800449)

would it be okay to bring some really tasty wine, I don't want to give my host family the impression that we (in my country) are some kind of alcoholics, and that's the only thing we think about :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Check with your local city hall or gov't rep they should have flag/city pins.

I did it once when I went down to Cuba one time, a bit of a hassle but it was free.

MMM 02-16-2010 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofaparasite (Post 800449)

Wine would be a perfect gift.

Sashimister 02-17-2010 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofaparasite (Post 800355)
I live in the very middle of Europe and could provide my guest family with all the things they dream of.

If you really believe that, you probably know very little about Japan.

Kageboushi 02-17-2010 04:30 AM

Whatever OP says there must be something that's typical about her country. It sounds like you live in Switzerland so bring them coo-coo-clocks, knives and toblerone (you get the picture).
Alcohol is pretty good though, but you have to make sure that the receivers like to drink. It seems as though a proportionately higher amount of Japanese don't drink at all as compared to Europeans.
I also recommend bringing some postcards or similar of beautiful sights etc. in your home country. These are good tiny gifts for random people that you meet, where it's the thought that counts most of all.

Hope this helps.

MMM 02-17-2010 06:57 AM

Why don't we revisit this question once you actually have plans to go to Japan, know who your host family is, know how many members there are in the family, etc.?