JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Tamatama (Offline)
New to JF

Visiting a Comic Studio in Japan - 02-08-2010, 01:45 PM

Hi everybody,

I am planning to go to Japan soon and would love to visit a comic art studio. Do you know where and if that is possible? What are the most famous comic studios?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
metalmark666 (Offline)
JF Regular

02-08-2010, 02:39 PM

I know it is not a comic art studio, but I visited the Ghibli Museum in Mitaka, Tokyo.
They do animated films but the museum is a really nice place to visit. You also get to watch a short cartoon that is only shown in the museum.

Museum Website

Please read my diary that I wrote when travelling and working in Japan for three months. It is also packed full of information. I hope that it can inspire you to have an adventure too.
Please contact me if I can help you with advice or information.

Japan 2008: Memoires of a Gaijin A.K.A. A Journey Through the Land of the Rising Sun
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-09-2010, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamatama View Post
Hi everybody,

I am planning to go to Japan soon and would love to visit a comic art studio. Do you know where and if that is possible? What are the most famous comic studios?
This wouldn't be any easier then trying to visit a comic studio in your country, the big ones have store fronts and that's probably as close as you're going to get. I may be wrong though.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
typing (Offline)
JF Regular

02-10-2010, 12:32 AM

Thing is...
Unlike North America with it's big brand comics that are worked on by like 20 to 30 people doing 7 or 8 comics every month most of the comics in Japan are done in home studios with either a circle of artists friends or sometimes a single lead artist who created the comic idea and 1-3 other artists the publishing company keeps on file to give work to because while good artists, are not creative enough to make their own publishing stuff.

Marvel and DC comics actually produce the stuff the sell, like you said they are comic book *Studios*

Comics in Japan like JUMP and RIBBON are not Studios but just Publishers, so no art is actually done in their branches but artist sell them their work and get contracted for more.

You might be able to go in and see an Animation Studio, while some animation artists do work from home and just deliver their stuff to work at the deadline the physical studio's do exist and people do work in them.

EDIT:
Only way to see a studio in Japan then would be to meet someone who makes comics and then actually go to their house, some artists may rent out another apartment or the Publisher may rent out an apartment for them to work in especially if they're a weekly comic and they have trouble meeting their deadlines.

I have great faith in fools -- self confidence my friends call it. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Last edited by typing : 02-10-2010 at 12:35 AM. Reason: because I can
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Tamatama (Offline)
New to JF

02-16-2010, 02:50 PM

Ok, many thanks for the help.
I just thought that there would be studios because I saw it in animes themselv. For example Love Hina and Golden Boy, both had seens in a comic studio.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
typing (Offline)
JF Regular

02-19-2010, 10:21 PM

Are you thinking comic or an animation studio?

And the scenes you saw might have been the editing department.

I have great faith in fools -- self confidence my friends call it. -- Edgar Allan Poe