JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
racer7 (Offline)
New to JF

Itinery advice - travel and accomodation - 03-02-2010, 09:01 PM

Hello,

I've already read some very helpful posts on here. However a lot are kind after 'traditional' holidays. I've got a slightly different plan in that I want to go snowboarding for the world class powder!

Trying to sort out my itinery and it's causing me some probs. I was hoping to glean some advice or better options.

I'm flying in Tokyo (Narita) on the 15th March 2010 with a view to:

15 - 18th March
• 3 days in Tokyo (districts and a day to the Ghibli museum, already booked)

19th to 21st
• 3 days in kyoto

22nd and 23rd
• 2 days Tokyo with a trip to DisneySea or land then travel to Nagano (not sure what resort yet)

24th - 27th
• 3 days snowboarding there then travel to Hokkaido (most likely Niseko)

28th - 4th April
• 7 days there (or will I get bored? should I split more with Nagano?) travel back to tokyo

5th April
• 1 day dossing
leave (6th April)

I'm struggling to see how £500 internal flight from Haneda to New Chitose (for Niseko) is even a remote consideration.

I did want to mix it up with the different terrains of Nagano and Hokkaido.

I'm wondering if it's possible to catch an overnight from Tokyo to Nagano and then onto Niseko and then back to Tokyo with the JR pass? I imagine (especially with the 3 days in Kyoto that this would be a cheap and best option.

I'd like to hear and am happy to take advice about my itinery. The city part will be with a friend then I'm snowboarding on my own.

The other think is what do I do with my snowboard for the first 10days!? The airport lockers look too small and I don't want to travel around with it. I read about the Takkyubin service which is cool but wonder if they'd keep it somewhere until i got there to collect?

Got no hotels booked so am open to suggestions. The bit I'm nervous about is the snowboarding on my own. I'd like to meet people but am not into the whole party/drinking vibe. And whilst am happy to lodge with others I'd really like a room to sleep to myself. Also as my Japanese is non-existent I need to be mindful of that!

It's a lot there - but I guess this will remove the need to clarify. Please help turn my 15year dream into a memorable reality!

Thanks!

Last edited by racer7 : 03-02-2010 at 09:04 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-03-2010, 12:16 AM

The end of March is kind of late for snowboarding in Nagano- some resorts are still open, but don't expect the snow to be anything special. If you do want "world class powder", then spend as much time in Niseko as you can.

Just to add, the 22nd of March is a public holiday so DisneySea will be packed. Go on the 23rd unless you want to spend a looooong time in lines for the attractions.

Last edited by sarasi : 03-03-2010 at 12:19 AM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
allhailhata (Offline)
JF Regular

03-03-2010, 12:42 AM

"Takkyubin service"
Kuroneko yamato. They keep buggege one week.
Nihon youbin.Usually twelve days.
But, Your accomodation don't hesitate to receive and keep your snowboard.
Tell them expected time of arrival.

"Overnight"
Tokyo to Nagano.
There is no overnight train.It takes only one hour and forty minutes by shinkansen.
Tokyo to Kyoto.
no overnight train.overnight highway bus is available.
Tokyo to Hokkaidou
http://www2.jrhokkaido.co.jp/global/.../ttable/08.pdf
time table
(#4 (permalink))
Old
racer7 (Offline)
New to JF

03-03-2010, 09:27 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for the replies.

Sarasai - thanks for the heads up on the national holiday. I've promptly re-jigged the day around. I think I'm leaning towards DisneySea as I've been the HK Disney and read that it's fairly similar. ( in fact I wonder if either are even worth a visit?!)

allhailhata thank you for the takkyubin options.

I didn't realise hokkaido was having not so much snow at the mo and also didnt realise that nagano wouldn't be so snow-sure in late march.

That throws my travel plans a bit.

I was wondering how much I should plan. I know my itinery I posted is sort of basic. But would you recommend really tightening it down to specific activities/destinations?

Need to hit the travel guides again!

Keep all the advice coming - it's really helpful!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
racer7 (Offline)
New to JF

03-03-2010, 11:35 PM

i was also thinking - how seamless would check in and check outs be at hotels?

I'm wondering if i need to right off a day just to arrive check in (half a day) then check out (half a day). Could get annoying unless theres some good tips to reduce time-wasting.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-03-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer7 View Post

I'm wondering if i need to right off a day just to arrive check in (half a day) then check out (half a day). Could get annoying unless theres some good tips to reduce time-wasting.
half a day? It usually takes me less than 5 minutes.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-03-2010, 11:46 PM

Where have you experienced check in and check out at hotels taking half a day? 15 minutes would be a long time for either.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-03-2010, 11:51 PM

As for the snow, I was in Niseko 2 weeks ago and there was 3-4 metres of snow there, with more falling a lot of the time. My friend who lives there says there is snow right through April most years. I used to work at a Nagano ski resort and the season there was all but over by mid-March, although some of the higher resorts had snow.

If you have been to HK Disneyland then unless you are a huge Disney fan Tokyo Disneyland will probably not be much different. Whether Disney Sea is worth it is up to you. For me it was a fun place to go with friends once- I'm not a big Disney or amusement park fan so I wouldn't go by myself.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-04-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:

You don`t have to wait until the set time to check out, nor do you have to stay at the hotel after you check in. Let us say check out is 12pm and check in is 4pm. You can wake up, be ready, and check out early at 8am. You can also check in at 4pm, put your bags in your room, give the desk the room key and head out - coming back at 11pm. The only thing you need to be sure to do is to come back before the doors lock - which in city hotels is usually quite late (if at all).

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
racer7 (Offline)
New to JF

03-04-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:

Ha ha - reading that back that does sound pretty silly!

I meant more about checking in and out is wasting time having to cart luggage around. But I guess it only because silly if i was checking in/out within a similar area (done that once in the US cos of availability probs).

Am going to get a rail pass and research a bit more to get specifics for my itinery.

You guys have been great and hopefully I'll not sound like a total noob when I post again with a tweaked schedule!