JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
JackIsLost (Offline)
Wanderer

Send a message via AIM to JackIsLost
my rifle in japan? - 03-16-2010, 08:43 PM

if i were to live in japan and work for the military as a civilian, would i be able to keep my rifle in my house on base (i think so, since it's american, right?)? how about if i live in an apartment off base (japanese owned apartments)? i love shooting and i know japanese people don't like the idea of civilians with "gunz"

うんこ漏らした。

my gun is bigger than your gun
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-16-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsLost View Post
if i were to live in japan and work for the military as a civilian, would i be able to keep my rifle in my house on base (i think so, since it's american, right?)? how about if i live in an apartment off base (japanese owned apartments)? i love shooting and i know japanese people don't like the idea of civilians with "gunz"
I think the base would have to answer the first question. Do they want civilians with rifles on the base? I don't know.

I am pretty sure the answer to number 2 is "no".

Japan does not have a gun culture like we do in the US, and guns are not something people normally have. I know licenses for hunting rifles are available in certain prefectures, but I don't think you can just go target shooting. I heard the Olympic biathletes had to train outside of Japan, because they couldn't shoot their guns in Japan.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

03-16-2010, 10:14 PM

No and no.

American bases are leased territories of the host nation. The Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) addresses all differences of laws and policies within the base. Civilian contractors are not allowed to have weapons. Military personnel are, for obvious reasons, but only because having a firearm is necessary for the performance of their duties. Such weapons are usually not kept at home (exceptions being high ranking officers, or military police).

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-17-2010, 12:04 AM

There are skeet and rifle clubs in Japan where hunters and competition shooters can practice. Japanese biathlon competitors have a difficult time because the biathlon courses tend to be used as cross-country ski runs throughout the season, and these runs are far to busy to shut down for biathlon practice.

Even at US bases you would find it hard to keep a firearm in your closet, unless you have a separate home on base. Those who live in a barracks/dorm have to keep their personal firearms in the armory.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

03-17-2010, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
Even at US bases you would find it hard to keep a firearm in your closet, unless you have a separate home on base. Those who live in a barracks/dorm have to keep their personal firearms in the armory.
IE, high ranking officers. Captains, Commodores, Admirals. Maybe those senior officers with large families.

Junior officers can afford a small Japanese house to themselves off base because OHA (Overseas Housing Allowance) is so high. When I go to Yokosuka on orders I stay in BOQ (Bachelor Officer Quarters) which are like a fairly nice hotel room with a living space, kitchen, and bedroom. No firearms allowed there.

Civilian contractors tend to live off base in apartments or row houses.

Enlisted tend to room together off base, or live in the barracks or BEQ (Bachelor Enlisted Quarters).

Short answer is: no.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org