JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Tripsis (Offline)
New to JF

Leave it to the Travel Agents? - 03-22-2010, 12:42 PM

Hey everyone.

I'm planning a trip to Tokyo this mid september and am thinking of letting a travel agent book accomodation as well as the tickets. Is this recommended or something to avoid for a first timer?

One more question, i'd like to have accomodation somewhere thats safe and easy to get around, i'm not looking to spend big on a place to stay so a hostel would also work for me. This probably sounds very selfish of me.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Trips.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

03-22-2010, 06:35 PM

I just booked mine using Orbitz and that seems to have worked out well. You have to be really careful who you go through though and understand the risks you are taking when you go through a travel agent. You can save a lot of money, but you could also easily overpay. I would recommend looking at reviews of travel agents online before you decide who to go through.

I wouldn't worry about finding somewhere safe as nearly everywhere you would book a hotel at would be safe.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Tripsis (Offline)
New to JF

03-23-2010, 05:02 AM

Would the risks involved with going through a travel agency be purely financial or something else?
I do know that if something goes wrong with the accomodation i can contact the travel agents for resolution. That's why i'm leaning towards letting them arrange accomodation for me.

Cheers muchly for letting me know that i dont have to worry about avoiding any dangerous areas around Tokyo. I had a pretty good idea that it wasn't all that dangerous compared to other places around the world but for my first trip overseas i didnt want it to leave a bad first impression on me.

Trips.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

03-24-2010, 06:21 PM

The risks are just financial. You will unlikely be able to cancel your trip at any point past a couple hours after you've booked, and many complaints I've read consist of the flights being canceled or moved and the traveler never being informed.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-24-2010, 06:34 PM

A lot of the even smaller Tokyo hotels have sites in English. I just booked several days in Tokyo for 4500 yen a night at a decent place (The rooms were twice that when I originally booked, but lots of hotels have "specials" so you just have to have a little luck. I saw the price had dropped, cancelled my reservation and re-reserved it at the new price.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Tripsis (Offline)
New to JF

03-24-2010, 09:39 PM

4500 per night sounds like a bargain to me. Would you happen to know the site and the location of the hotel?

I'll still leave my options open and have a talk to the travel agents, see what they can offer. I'll weigh my options after that.

Thanks very much for everyones help on this matter.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Blitzwing85 (Offline)
マーク - 戦士

03-24-2010, 09:40 PM

I've had many holidays through travel agents and by booking myself. Cost wise it varies and both have been the far cheaper option so consider everything.

Also note that many websites/agents now offer security should anything go wrong and you get your money back in full. But don't be fooled into paying too much for that. Most companies offer this for no extra cost.

Just look into all options.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-24-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripsis View Post
4500 per night sounds like a bargain to me. Would you happen to know the site and the location of the hotel?

I'll still leave my options open and have a talk to the travel agents, see what they can offer. I'll weigh my options after that.

Thanks very much for everyones help on this matter.
It was one of the Washington Hotels:

Washignton Hotels Tokyo, Yokohama, Sapporo Fukuoka
(#9 (permalink))
Old
metalmark666 (Offline)
JF Regular

03-24-2010, 11:06 PM

I prefer to book it all myself, it is more work but it makes for a more personal trip. Like MMM said, there are really reasonable priced accommodation in Tokyo too.

Please read my diary that I wrote when travelling and working in Japan for three months. It is also packed full of information. I hope that it can inspire you to have an adventure too.
Please contact me if I can help you with advice or information.

Japan 2008: Memoires of a Gaijin A.K.A. A Journey Through the Land of the Rising Sun
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Tripsis (Offline)
New to JF

03-25-2010, 02:29 AM

I'll see how i go, could be for the first time (since i haven't a bloody clue what i'm doing) i'll let the travel agents book me cheap place and next time i go i'll probably do it myself.