JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
tom76 (Offline)
New to JF

Travel from Narita to Ikebukuro - 03-26-2010, 04:30 PM

Hi all, stumbled across the forums and have been impressed by the depth of knowledge here.
I went to Japan last year and landed at Narita airport, then got the airport 'limousine' (coach) direct to my hotel in Akasaka. Very convenient indeed.
However this time I'm staying in a cheaper hotel in Ikebukuro (actually it's in HigashiIkebukuro, but the hotel is like 5 mins from Ikebukuro station by foot).

My concern is getting from the airport to the hotel. Like I said, before it was nice and simple but I do not know if such a coach service operates to Ikebukuro or if I need to use the Narita Express to get to Tokyo then use the Metro out to Ikebukuro.
I'm actually landing around 6-7pm, so I believe the usual train ticket office is closed so I need to go to another one, and I believe the trains run through the night, though it's a lot simpler to jump on a coach and go to somewhere near the hotel rather than lug a suitcase onto the train & metro (I'd have thought).

How would you suggest I get to Ikebukuro?

Thanks in advance!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-26-2010, 05:15 PM

About N'EX | Narita Express | JR-EAST

The Narita Express goes directly to JR Ikebukuro station, so that is probably your best bet. It is a big train designed for people with luggage.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
allhailhata (Offline)
JF Regular

03-26-2010, 06:19 PM

Only info

You can use bus.Ikebukuro - Narita Airport | Scheduled Bus Services | Airport Limousine Bus

Narita Express stop at Ikebukuro.You don't need to use Metoro.
Last NEX which stops at Ikebukuro.
Departure 21:44 Arrival 23:09
JR-EAST: Shinkansen-Reservation

I can' t see what is "Usual" train ticket office.But at least JR Narita air port st. is not closed at 7pm.Open Hours 6:30~21:45.
The trains don't run through the night in Tokyo.Trains don't run roughly after 1am.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
tom76 (Offline)
New to JF

"Usual" ticket office - I meant that... - 03-26-2010, 11:26 PM

...I remember reading that there is a place that sells tickets for the Narita Express train that closes around 6pm (I think) and you have to go to another office after this time. In Terminal 2 perhaps?
Sorry I cannot be more precise right now. Thank you for your info on the Narita Express, I did not know it went straight to Ikebukuro.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-27-2010, 01:22 AM

Only some trains go straight to Ikebukuro, and you might have to wait a long time for one. Unless there is one departing soon after you get to the Arrivals hall, it may be better to either take the bus, or take the NEX to Tokyo or Shinjuku and then the Yamanote line (not the Metro which is the subway and means you would have to buy another ticket) to Ikebukuro.

If you are arriving around rush hour then I recommend the bus if there is no direct NEX to Ikebukuro at that time, because commuter trains like the Yamanote line are no fun in rush hour with luggage.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
allhailhata (Offline)
JF Regular

03-27-2010, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom76 View Post
...I remember reading that there is a place that sells tickets for the Narita Express train that closes around 6pm (I think) and you have to go to another office after this time. In Terminal 2 perhaps?
You are talking about JR East Travel Service Center at the Air port.
It's different from the usual train ticket office which is called Midori-no-Madoguchi.
JR East

Travel Service Center | Customer Support | JR-EAST

JR East Travel Service Center – Narita Airport Terminal 1
8:15 - 19:00, every day of the year
JR East Travel Service Center – Narita Airport Terminal 2
10:30 - 20:00, every day of the year
At all other times, tickets can be purchased at JR Ticket Offices (Midori-no-Madoguchi) located at the JR stations in Narita Airport Terminal 1 and 2.
Open Hours 6:30~21:45.