JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
saz1241 (Offline)
New to JF

Talking going to JApan next week - been waiting for 10 years... - 03-29-2010, 09:19 PM

Hey all,
I am travelling to Japan next week with my friend - I have been waiting to go since I first started college

I wondered if anyone had any suggestions for what to do when I'm over there - I've done some research and stuff and was just interested in any gems you ca think of

I will be going to Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima and Miyajima most likely :]

Thanks in advance to any ideas
(#2 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-29-2010, 10:57 PM

First tell us why you are going to Japan, i.e. what you are interested in. Some people want to spend most of their time in Akihabara, Disneyland and Sanrio Puroland, others want to see castles, shrines and temples, and some want to stay away from the cities and go hiking in the Japan Alps and Shiretoko Pensinsula for example.

How long are you staying?

Have you looked at sites like japan-guide.com - Japan Travel and Living Guide Lots of recommendations there.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
fabimimi (Offline)
New to JF

03-30-2010, 07:40 AM

Hello!Japan is a very interesting country.I also dream of one day to visit this country.I will be extremely interesting visit and examine.In Tokyo has many attractions, but one of them is Kokyo Higashi Gyoen I recommend that you visit.Very interesting place, charged with positive energy.

Last edited by fabimimi : 03-30-2010 at 07:49 AM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
saz1241 (Offline)
New to JF

03-30-2010, 11:32 AM

Hi,

Thanks for replies

I am a student so kinda looking to do a mix of traditional sightseeing with things like Harajuku and more modern things, Science musuem and that too,

Also not sure the best way to see Fuji-san - I have heard Hakone and 5-fuji lakes but dont particularly want to pay loads for a tour!

Thanks again :]
(#5 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

03-30-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saz1241 View Post
Hi,

Thanks for replies

I am a student so kinda looking to do a mix of traditional sightseeing with things like Harajuku and more modern things, Science musuem and that too,

Also not sure the best way to see Fuji-san - I have heard Hakone and 5-fuji lakes but dont particularly want to pay loads for a tour!

Thanks again :]
From Hakone you can travel up to Ashinoko yourself and take the boat tour, it will not be expensive. But Hakone is "kinda remote", so you may want to plan a stay there for a night.

Osaka and Tokyo both have plenty of museum. For science museums, there are a couple of them at Odaiba. There is also the Edo museum in Tokyo that is FILLED with history if that interest you...

Harajuku have either weird (to me it is weird) culture or high price culture with Burberry and LV there. I won't call it "traditional" per say. You can see all the traditional stuff around Kyoto.

How long will you be staying in Japan for?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Wagamama (Offline)
JF Regular

03-30-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
From Hakone you can travel up to Ashinoko yourself and take the boat tour, it will not be expensive. But Hakone is "kinda remote", so you may want to plan a stay there for a night.

Osaka and Tokyo both have plenty of museum. For science museums, there are a couple of them at Odaiba. There is also the Edo museum in Tokyo that is FILLED with history if that interest you...

Harajuku have either weird (to me it is weird) culture or high price culture with Burberry and LV there. I won't call it "traditional" per say. You can see all the traditional stuff around Kyoto.

How long will you be staying in Japan for?
Hmmm when i was there i didnt see anything particularly out of the norm but yeah its one hell of a pricey place thats fer sure.Just my 2cents to the one who started this thread,u mentioned u are going for kyoto,osaka,tokyo,hiroshima and miyajima.i wouldn't think thats a good idea,theres too much travelling time and money involved(long distrance transport aint cheap at all) i rather u spend the time exploring deeper into ur selected region and use the money to have nicer food.For example theres more to the kansai region than kyoto and osaka.
hope this helps
(#7 (permalink))
Old
saz1241 (Offline)
New to JF

03-31-2010, 09:29 PM

I'm going for 3 and a half weeks visiting some uni friends over there
(#8 (permalink))
Old
JackIsLost (Offline)
Wanderer

Send a message via AIM to JackIsLost
03-31-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saz1241 View Post
I'm going for 3 and a half weeks visiting some uni friends over there
i'm going for 3 weeks in june i can't wait

うんこ漏らした。

my gun is bigger than your gun
(#9 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-31-2010, 11:54 PM

3 and a half weeks is more than enough to see Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima and Miyajima- that's actually a standard 10 day itinerary, so 3.5 weeks won't be rushed at all.

Just so you won't be disappointed, be aware that Mt. Fuji is not always visible as it is very often covered in cloud in any season, or invisible from further away due to heat haze in summer. You could be right next to the mountain in Kawaguchi-ko and not even know it's there. Your best chance of seeing it is early morning before the clouds form on the mountain.

No need to take tours to Mt. Hakone or Kawaguchi-ko, just take a train/bus out there and either do a day trip or stay overnight. Follow the instructions for how to get there in your guide book- and if you don't have a guide book, like Lonely Planet or Rough Guide, get one now and start reading it because you will really need it while travelling.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
VerasT (Offline)
New to JF

04-03-2010, 05:02 PM

Wrong topic ~

Last edited by VerasT : 04-03-2010 at 05:15 PM.