JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: What was your best accommodation in Japan?
Western chain hotel 4 12.90%
business hotel 2 6.45%
ryokan 7 22.58%
hostel 6 19.35%
homestay 9 29.03%
other (please specify) 3 9.68%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

What has been your best accommodation? - 04-02-2010, 08:13 AM

Many here have gone to different places in Japan and stayed in different places. What was the best accommodation for you, and why?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-02-2010, 10:18 AM

My best stay has been at the Conrad Hotel overlooking Hamarikyu gardens in Tokyo. The room was beautiful, with a spectacular bay view, and a large bath tub next to tall windows so I could enjoy the scenery while bathing. It was a great experience, one of the perks I got from Amex. Check-in was 11 am, and check-out was 4 pm. But at $790 per night, it wasn't cheap.

My favorite ryokan is here: 湯河原温泉露天風呂、料亭旅館 | ゆば懐石山翠楼 I stayed here for a couple nights last summer, the rate for 2 people per night was about 80,000 yen ($1600 for the weekend). But the room had an onsen tub on the balcony, with a breathtaking view of the valley, and the dinner was the best that I have had since I moved to Japan.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MC9876 (Offline)
JF Regular

04-02-2010, 11:47 AM

When i was in Tokyo I stayed in hotels and hostels. I found the hostels to be the most fun to stay at, meeting other travellers. Accomodations were pretty good also there, so I didn't found it necesarry to stay at a lot of hotels (which were more expensive).
(#4 (permalink))
Old
metalmark666 (Offline)
JF Regular

Talking My six recommendations. - 04-03-2010, 03:14 PM

I know I mentioned them before in a previous thread, and a few people have said that they did not like them, but I really like the Khaosan Ninja in Tokyo. Khaosan Ninja I found the staff to be awesome and really friendly/warm. The rooms were not that great, but to be honest, how much time do you want to be spending in your hostel room when travelling??!! They had a really nice lounge area and kitchenette. I would always recommend them.

A trip to Japan wouldn't be complete without a stay in a capsule hotel. I stayed at the one in Akihabara but I'm not sure if it is still there. It is quirky but enjoyable and like I said, an experience not to miss.
Capsule Hotel

When visiting Nara, I stayed in a town nearby called Oji. Here I stayed in a place called Guesthouse Yougendo. It is a traditional Japanese building with accommodation and a bar. It was run by an English guy from Bradford and was a top stay. When talking to him, he said that he had bands like Prodigy wanting to stay and Bloc party stay when they toured as it was a traditional Japanese house and close to Nara. Oji was also a nice little place too. Another bonus was that they sold Guinness in pints!!!
Guesthouse Yougendo

I used a hotel chain called Hotel Route Inn a couple of times. They are nice clean westernised hotels so you don't really get that Japanese feel. But, if you are stuck for somewhere to stay, they are quite good.
Hotel Route Inn

One of the places that I stayed in at Kyoto was called Guesthouse Bola Bola. It was a nice place to stay in another traditional Japanese house. The family that owned it were really friendly, and they also made their own information leaflets for guests to take. It was not in the centre of Kyoto but just outside, easily accessible by the train.
Guesthouse bola Bola

Probably my favourite place to stay was called Business Ryoken Sansui in Hiroshima. It was a standard Ryoken run by a Japanese lady who could hardly speak a word of English. What made this one of my favourite places to stay was just how friendly the land lady was. Every morning she would give us oranges and sometimes yoghurts and made every effort to communicate with us and give us any help we needed, a real gem.
Business Ryoken Sansui

Hope this helps anyone.

Please read my diary that I wrote when travelling and working in Japan for three months. It is also packed full of information. I hope that it can inspire you to have an adventure too.
Please contact me if I can help you with advice or information.

Japan 2008: Memoires of a Gaijin A.K.A. A Journey Through the Land of the Rising Sun
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Wagamama (Offline)
JF Regular

04-11-2010, 02:22 PM

Homestay no contest,Sure i lived in a not-so-big house with not-so-beautiful views but heck the companionship i got was priceless not to mention my host's mom delicious cooking(FTW).
(#6 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-11-2010, 02:31 PM

The Rhiga Royal hotel in Kyoto. Very nice and expensive if your wife isn't a travel agent.
Also the Sheraton Kobe was great.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

04-12-2010, 10:44 AM

I am a bit over the fence on this one. The best accomodation I stayed at is probably Royal Park Plaza at Yokohama, but I was also in love with "Yume no Toki" in kinugawa, one of the best reviewed onsen resort.