JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Teris (Offline)
JF Regular

Trip of a lifetime! - 04-18-2010, 04:49 PM

Hi everyone. I'm very excited to say that my wife and I are about to take our first trip to Japan. We've always wanted to go, but we really never thought we'd make it there. We leave June 3 from Los Angeles, California (where we live) and arrive in the late afternoon on June 4 at Narita. We leave at 9PM on June 13 (also from Narita). We have nine full days including the day we leave.

This is a spur of the moment trip because we both have some time off and Delta was offering cheap fares. We ordered some DVDs on basic Japanese to get accustomed to the language and are now looking to plan our trip.

I'm looking for suggestions on things to see and places to go. We love scenic places and I am an avid photographer (especially wildlife, ocean, mountains, forests and cities). We're looking forward to seeing the beautiful temples. We will definitely go to Tokyo and Kyoto.

Because we leave from Narita, we're considering going straight from Narita to Kyoto and then heading back to Tokyo for the last few days of our trip rather than the first few (then returning again before we fly out). Does that make sense?

We're wondering if we should buy a 7-day JR pass. I'm not sure if it will make sense financially for us. If we go to Kyoto first, we will take the JR rail from Narita or Tokyo the next day and head back to Tokyo for the last of the 7 day rail pass. Once in Tokyo, we can take day trips, too, and will take a limo bus back to Narita.

As for hotels, we are looking at the Shimizu Ryokan (modern) in Kyoto and the Super Hotel Kyoto. We also are looking at the Sunroute Plaza hotel in Tokyo. Are these good decisions?

Any other suggestions would be great. Thanks so much!

Last edited by Teris : 04-19-2010 at 03:14 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-18-2010, 08:29 PM

Near Tokyo, you should visit Nikko. Near Osaka, visit Koya-san. Those are 2 of the most photogenic places I know of in Japan that are close to where you're going.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Teris (Offline)
JF Regular

04-19-2010, 03:16 PM

Thanks, Samurai! We have added Nikko and Koya-san to our list.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Blitzwing85 (Offline)
マーク - 戦士

04-19-2010, 03:29 PM

Best Luxury Hotels in Tokyo : Five Star Alliance

Has lots of nice hotels in Tokyo.

As for a sight...maybe something a lot of people don't think of seeing...

Google Image Result for http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/2017/screenshots00002cr7.jpg

Yakushima Forests.

I haven't been to Japan but it's on my list when i go next year.
Also Mount Fuji and Kofu City look stunning.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-19-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teris View Post
Thanks, Samurai! We have added Nikko and Koya-san to our list.
You're welcome. You might also think about how you are going from Tokyo to Osaka. Sure, you could take the bullet train and arrive quickly. But a slower and more scenic option is to head north from Tokyo to Matsumoto to see the beautiful castle there, then to Kamikochi and hiking in the Japan Alps for a day, then Takayama and the Hida Folk Village, and optionally finish with the Kanazawa gardens (or head straight to Kyoto/Osaka). This would take about 2 1/2 to 3 days in all, but I really enjoyed it when I did the trip myself. (or you can reverse the order and do it on the way back to Tokyo.)

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan

Last edited by samurai007 : 04-19-2010 at 05:24 PM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-19-2010, 07:03 PM

If it's the Sunroute in Shinjuku you're in good hands. I stayed there last March.

In Tokyo I would suggest Meiji Jingu and Shinjuku goyen for nature, Shibuya for buildings and people.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
JayT (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-19-2010, 07:21 PM

The Sunroute is great, I have stated there many times.
It has a great little bar/resturant downstairs as well as a mcdonalds and AM/PM a few steps away. The bathroom even has a special mirror that doesn't fog you shower : )

It's about a 9 mintue walk to Shinjukuu station as well.

[<--Nan's heart!]

(#8 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

04-20-2010, 11:41 AM

Do you have Yokohama as part of your destination? The cosmo clock area offer a very modernized view of Japan. I love Yokohama myself, its one of my must visit city everytime I go to Japan.

If you do go to Yokohama, stay at the Royal Park Plaza hotel, its a great hotel for a very good price.

For Tokyo, I would stay at the Nikko hotel in Odaiba.... Ask to stay at one of the harbor view room....

What are you interested to see mostly?
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Neffiline (Offline)
JF Regular

04-20-2010, 12:27 PM

While I was in Tokyo I did a morning tour with a guide and it was SO much fun. We visited Tokyo Tower and Meijin Shrine. Another day I went on a day trip outside Tokyo to Hakone and Mt. Fuji. And of course, you're wife will probably enjoy the shopping, Tokyo is great!!

(#10 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

04-20-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neffiline View Post
While I was in Tokyo I did a morning tour with a guide and it was SO much fun. We visited Tokyo Tower and Meijin Shrine. Another day I went on a day trip outside Tokyo to Hakone and Mt. Fuji. And of course, you're wife will probably enjoy the shopping, Tokyo is great!!
Meiji shrine is nice during weekend, can probably get a glimpse of a traditional japanese wedding there during the weekend.

Shopping.. yeah second that, Odaiba and Ginza are great for that. Jeans mate got awesome cheap clothes if its not too young.

But my favourite is still Yokohama :P