JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Will my mobile phone work in Japan? - 05-10-2010, 07:33 PM

This time next week I'll be in the land of the rising sun!

Just realised: Will my phone work in Japan?!

I currently own a LG KS360 (runs on GSM/EDGE 900/1800/1900 - Tri-band).

Already had the Service Provider Call Center Wild Goose Chase - they were all useless as expected. Any help will be appreciated.

So excited!

よろしくお願いします

Another question:

My phone number for and England person to call me in England is 07771231231 or +447771231231. If this number works in Japan will it then be +817771231231?

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me

Last edited by SHAD0W : 05-10-2010 at 07:59 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
clintjm (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-10-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAD0W View Post
This time next week I'll be in the land of the rising sun!

Just realised: Will my phone work in Japan?!

I currently own a LG KS360 (runs on GSM/EDGE 900/1800/1900 - Tri-band).

Already had the Service Provider Call Center Wild Goose Chase - they were all useless as expected. Any help will be appreciated.

So excited!

よろしくお願いします

Another question:

My phone number for and England person to call me in England is 07771231231 or +447771231231. If this number works in Japan will it then be +817771231231?
No. Only a 3G W-CDMA phones will work there and only then if you have a SIM card for a Japanese network. Softbank is the only one I know that will rent you a prepaid SIM. And even if you have a device that will do it, some Softbank shops that sell the prepaid Sim won't sell it to you unless it is a device they recognize or support (depends on the shop as I've seen). Then I think you still have to return the damn sim back to the shop as it is "rented" as well; however that might have changed.

I successfully use a Dual mode (GSM and 3G) in the states and Japan (Japan using the 3g WCDMA mode). I have to flip my sim cards between countries though. Not many phones do this; and they have to be unlocked.

Sucks doesn't it.

It is just easier to rent a phone; which you can do at the airport; and return as well. Most of them give you free incoming calls. And charge you 100 to 300 yen a day to keep it active. Some give you phone mail or tethering Internet for the mere price of you soul. Making calls can be a bit expensive though; even local calls. It can add up. Good for an short trip if you absolutely need a phone on you to receive calls. Pay phones are still quite accessible there.

It is sometimes good to use the payphones to make the call instead of a cell phone as it is still cheaper to do it that way. If you do you combine or solely use the payphone route, by a phone card so you are not sorting through your pockets looking for correct change.

If you are going to be there for a while (a year or more), get a plan / contract. If you are going as a student you can get a student plan that is quite affordable.

Have a good time.

Last edited by clintjm : 05-10-2010 at 09:08 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)

05-10-2010, 09:26 PM

Rent a phone? Wow that sounds expensive!

Can you not buy cheap pay as you go sims like you can here? I could find a cheap 3G phone here and then get a sim while in Japan?

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-10-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:

Can you not buy cheap pay as you go sims like you can here? I could find a cheap 3G phone here and then get a sim while in Japan?
It isn't expensive at all. I rented a phone for 2 weeks earlier this year, and the final bill (including a few calls to America) was under $150.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
JayT (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-10-2010, 10:06 PM

You do not need a JP sim card if you have a 3G iPhone, you just activate international roaming.

So not all phones require Japanese sim cards, your phone just has to have the option to select which carrier you're connecting to.

Although not worth it considering my 3 month iPhone phone bill in Tokyo was around $800 from AT&T.

[<--Nan's heart!]

(#6 (permalink))
Old
clintjm (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-10-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:

You could but you have to make it is 3g W-CDMA 2100Mhz phone. (2100Mhz I believe if memory serves for Asia, not 1900 in Europe and the States). Those are not easy to come by outside of Japan and Korea, plus the phone has to be unlocked, and be supported by the carrier your rent the sim from in Japan, and convince the Softbank folks to rent you the sim with your foreign phone. Then you have to return the sim before you go back to the airport. Softbank shops that rent the sim chips only are few.

I'm remember the Softbank prepaid sim not being cheap either for access to the network...
I keep mentioning Softbank because as far as I know they are the only ones that partially rent Sims

Rental phones are more economical for a short trip (a week to a month) vs. a prepaid cell outside the airport as they start at like 6000. You have more choices with services and phones with Prepaid vs Rental. If you go prepaid cell phone versus rental you can buy more time easily and better economically if you make lots of calls long or short.

Bottom line, no prepaid sims are not readily available like they are in the States or Europe. Also it is just a fact you are not going to have a mobile phone cheap in Japan unless you get a contract which is something you can't get unless you are going to be there a good while.

International calls and payphones: even if you need to make an occasional international call you can buy international calling cards (before you go to Japan, At&t and such) to make a international call by dialing a local access number from a land-line in Japan.
AT&T PrePaid Phone Cards: International Rate Finder
Check to see if there is any additional fees from using the calling card from a pay phone vs. non pay phone land line.

Don't stress about it though... If you are going for a month or less and you need to be reachable by somebody (so they can call you) get a rental. If you just need to make the occasional call only, go rental or payphone.

Now lets talk about dial up internet access ^^/
Note that Free WIFI is not readily available in Japan like it is in the states. So don't get any ideas about IP phoning.. Some Internet Cafes will let you IP Phone; some don't because of the noise.

Nothing is really cheap in Japan as far as communications in comparison to the States or parts of Europe.

Last edited by clintjm : 05-10-2010 at 10:12 PM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)

05-10-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
It isn't expensive at all. I rented a phone for 2 weeks earlier this year, and the final bill (including a few calls to America) was under $150.
I'm staying for 6 weeks so that will be a lot more than that! Surely I can get a cheap one here (or in Japan?) for less than that, just so my host family can contact me/I can contact them if (when) I get lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT View Post
You do not need a JP sim card if you have a 3G iPhone, you just activate international roaming.
Just stated I don't have an iPhone.. not buying one just for my trip.

(#8 (permalink))
Old
JayT (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-10-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
I'm staying for 6 weeks so that will be a lot more than that! Surely I can get a cheap one here (or in Japan?) for less than that, just so my host family can contact me/I can contact them if (when) I get lost.

Just stated I don't have an iPhone.. not buying one just for my trip.
Nothing to do with the iPhone, the point that was made is that not all phones require a Japanese sim card to roam in Japan...

[<--Nan's heart!]

(#9 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)

05-10-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT View Post
Nothing to do with the iPhone, the point that was made is that not all phones require a Japanese sim card to roam in Japan...
Ahhh! I do appologise! I wonder if my service provider (Orange) have a partner company in Japan?

(#10 (permalink))
Old
JayT (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-10-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Ahhh! I do appologise! I wonder if my service provider (Orange) have a partner company in Japan?
Haha no problem! I'm not too sure, but I'm sure you could look it up :0
I was able to connect to DoCoMo while living there :0

[<--Nan's heart!]