JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japan Travel Advice (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/)
-   -   How can I obtain my "koseki tohon" when I don't have any relatives left in Japan? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/31772-how-can-i-obtain-my-%22koseki-tohon%22-when-i-dont-have-any-relatives-left-japan.html)

Yoshinori 05-02-2010 06:03 PM

How can I obtain my "koseki tohon" when I don't have any relatives left in Japan?

Hello everyone, I am new to this board. :)

OK, here's the deal. I live in Western Europe, but I have a Japanese passport, meaning I am a Japanese citizen. Recently my passport expired, and I was told at the embassy that I need to have a "koseki tohon" or "koseki shohon" (family register) in order to renew it. Problem is, though, that you can only get a "koseki tohon" in Japan, and I can't leave the country without a valid passport. Also, I don't have any close relatives left in Japan, so I don't really know who I can ask to send it to me via snail mail. I have some distant relatives, but to track them down poses some problems (I am not in contact with any of them, so I don't know their addresses let alone their phone numbers or email addresses).

What can I do? Can I ask any random person in Japan to get it for me and send it to me? I was told anybody can get the "koseki tohon" provided you know all the data (like full name, names of the parents, birthdate, etc).

Can somebody help me? I need my passport! :o

Yoshinori 05-02-2010 06:18 PM

PS: I have already been to the embassy once, but they just told me I need this!

Dreath 05-02-2010 06:26 PM

You could get someone you know to travel to Japan, you would have to pay for the travel expenses, but if I was in your situation I would prefere to have someone I know to get it instead of some stranger that could abuse it.

Yoshinori 05-02-2010 06:29 PM

Thanks for the advice, but I don't think "Koseki tohon" is exactly sensitive data! I was told it's open to the public. You just need an original copy, is all.

Also, it's not like I am so well-off that I can pay the travel expenses for someone all the way to and from Japan! :P

MMM 05-02-2010 07:18 PM

You only have a Japanese passport?

Yoshinori 05-02-2010 07:20 PM

Yes, (un) fortunately!

Does that make any difference...? :confused:

MMM 05-02-2010 11:30 PM

You wouldn't have anything to worry about with another passport. Is there an embassy or consulate near you? They would be able to help.

Sashimister 05-03-2010 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoshinori (Post 810579)
I have a Japanese passport, meaning I am a Japanese citizen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoshinori (Post 810580)
Hi Norwegian girl! :)
My name is Josh (Yoshinori). I am a 28-year-old Japanese/American!

You might want to get your story straight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoshinori (Post 810592)
I am a Japanese guy, but I am looking for a non-Japanese girlfriend!

Maybe that's because I didn't grow up in Japan and have never lived in Japan for extended periods (two months at a stretch at most), but I have always felt more drawn to non-Asian girls. I especially like girls from the Balkans (Albanian, Serbian, Turkish, etc.) and Latinas (Mexican, Spanish, Brazilian etc.).

But then, of course, every girl is special in her own unique way, so you never know...

:)

So what you're saying is "I joined JF for help with my extremely important passport business, but while waiting for someone in Japan to come to my resque, I might as well look for a girlfriend here since it's free."?

おっさん、どこまでアヤシイねん!

Yoshinori 05-03-2010 04:52 AM

Wow, what a welcome. That's exactly right!

I am Japanese/American in the sense that my mother is half American, but I don't have the American citizenship. I only have a Japanese passport like I said, so I am a Japanese national.

Yoshinori 05-03-2010 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 810623)
You wouldn't have anything to worry about with another passport. Is there an embassy or consulate near you? They would be able to help.

Yes, there is one near where I live. Thanks, I will try there again...