(#11 (permalink))
Old
berrypie (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Skype™ to berrypie
06-18-2010, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
That's a long way go to for just five days.
I know but I don't have that many holidays (and money... shhhh) On the other hand, if it works out, I will plan to visit Japan from time to time after (like, every or 2 years)
(#12 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-18-2010, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrypie View Post
I know but I don't have that many holidays (and money... shhhh) On the other hand, if it works out, I will plan to visit Japan from time to time after (like, every or 2 years)
Tokyo isn't exactly a place I would go unless I could really afford it.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-18-2010, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Three weeks in Tokyo is about two weeks longer than anyone probably needs to see what they want to see.
I'm on my 3rd year here and I still haven't seen all that I want to see of Tokyo. There are the popular landmarks which all the tourists like to see, and those can be seen quickly enough. But the best parts of Tokyo are those which are off the beaten path.

Tokyo is ever-changing. One thing about Japan is that people always want something new. Items in convenience stores change on a weekly basis, things in the city also change frequently. It kind of sucks in a way because when you finally develop a taste for something it disappears from the shelves and is replaced with something "new".

Rather than spending a short time looking at many places in Japan, it would be better to spend a lot of time fully enjoying a single place. When visiting a large number of cities in Japan you will probably end up spending half of your holiday sitting in a train or on a bus. It's bad enough that you have to endure two 1 day plane trips (2 days of your holiday gone already), why follow that up with even more hours sitting in a small seat while staring out a window?

Find a region which you would like to see, and center your trip on it. Save another region for another trip.

As for other questions to ask yourself, "What should I bring" is a good one. It's cold in Japan in January, so you'll need to bring warm clothes. You'll do most of your getting around on-foot, so wear the most comfortable and broken-in shoes you can find.

You don't have to bring too many clothes, coin laundry shops are common throughout Japan, so you should bring enough clothing to last 3 or 4 days, and visit a coin laundry shop once or twice each week.

Print out maps of places you want to visit. I like Google maps, and I often print copies to carry with me when I am visiting new parts of the city. Google maps tends to show helpful landmarks like convenience stores and restaurants.

Hotels are expensive, but hostels are easy enough to find, and in January they are likely to be nearly empty, so getting a bed shouldn't be a problem. If hostels are too small, and regular hotels are too expensive, there are internet and manga cafes which you can pay for by the day and sleep at during the night. Most of the intermediate to larger train stations have inexpensive hotels located nearby for those who are unlucky enough to miss the last train. Lastly, love hotels are interesting, they are expensive by the hour, but the daily rate is not that bad. You may get a looks from people if you check-in with another guy, but whatever.

Don't plan your trip too precisely. Leave a little wiggle-room so you can spend more time in one place if you like it, or less time at a place you don't like. Have fun.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-18-2010, 03:14 AM

The experience of living in a city as a resident and visiting a city as a tourist is very different.

If you are visiting friends of family, then that is a different experience, as well. For someone visiting Japan for the first time paying out of pocket for every meal and for a hotel, at a certain point you are going to get diminishing returns.

Visiting a foreign country, especially as one as different from the West as Japan, can be a mentally (and physically) draining experience. When everything is new "off the beaten path" doesn't really make a difference.

I like your idea of focusing on certain areas. It is a good way to get to know a place. However, that works best for people (like you or me) that know how to speak some Japanese, ride trains, order at a restaurant, etc. I lived just outside of Osaka for three years, and there are TONS of places I never had a chance to see. Even know when I go to Osaka I make a point of discovering some of those "hidden gems".
(#15 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

06-18-2010, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllYouCanJapan View Post
I'm going to have to disagree - Tokyo and its surrounding areas have more than enough to offer for 3 weeks. The trip is actually cheaper when you move around less.
I have to say Tokyo has little to offer if you are after a traditional Japanese cultural experience since it was essentially flattened after WWII and rebuilt from scratch. It kind of reminds me of Seoul, another ancient capital that got bombed to oblivion by the North Koreans so everything is kinda new.

I would suggest to goto a city where it hasn't been bombed by the Allies, like Kyoto, there is always Osaka if you want the metro fix.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-20-2010, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Japan is not a "resort location"
Are you kidding? There's 100's of ski resorts throughout the country which would be great to visit in January. Coming to Japan in mid winter you may as well experience some of the best snow on the planet.
Spend a few days in Tokyo and then head to the mountains!!
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-20-2010, 09:19 PM

I spent my two weeks just in Tokyo for that exact reason. To stomp all over it or as much as I could and get to know it as a city. Not to see the sights of Japan.

I would agree it depends on the type of tourist you are or the trip you want.

My focus was visiting a Metropolis and Tokyo delivered.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-20-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
Are you kidding? There's 100's of ski resorts throughout the country which would be great to visit in January. Coming to Japan in mid winter you may as well experience some of the best snow on the planet.
Spend a few days in Tokyo and then head to the mountains!!
What I mean is, most of Japan is not like Las Vegas or Honolulu or Mazatlan or other very tourist-friendly places.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
tcorbs (Offline)
New to JF

Japan Rail Pass - 06-15-2011, 03:53 PM

If you're still considering a Japan vacation, you might be interested in Japan rail passes which offer visitors the chance to experience some of Japan's greatest attractions by rail. It's an economical way to travel throughout Japan’s extensive rail network, considered to be one of the most efficient in the world. You can get rail passes at ACP Rail International.