JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
mtokio (Offline)
New to JF

Private holiday apartment in Harajuku - 02-06-2009, 10:20 AM

Hi - maybe this helps:

We have a guest apartment in Harajuku near Shibuya - when we don't have visitors in town we are happy to rent it out short-term:

Short-term or holiday apartment right in the center of Tokyo

Feel free to contact me if you have more questions.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
tokyo12345 (Offline)
New to JF

02-14-2009, 08:41 AM

I just got back from Tokyo, so maybe I can recommend some good places.
There actually isn't that much to see in Tokyo, you could see everything, and I mean EVERYTHING that's actually worth seeing, in about 2-3 weeks if you really wanted to.

Some places I liked were:

Odaiba: There is some stuff like Fuji TV building and amusement parks etc. but mainly it is just a nice place to go, it looks cool and is good to walk around.

Kamakura: This is a bit outside Tokyo, but you can get there in about an hour on the Yokosuka line from Shinbashi. It is the ancient capital of Tokyo, and has a lot of nice temples and walking routes.

Asakusa: You kinda have to see Sensoji, I think it is one of the oldest temples in Japan, but DON'T go on a weekend or you will barely be able to move! Nakamise shops are pretty cool too.

Takaosan: About an hour and a half by train from Tokyo, this is an interesting mountain with a temple half-way up it!

Ryogoku: Edo Museum is really interesting, unlike Ueno Museum which was a bit of a snore in my opinion, sorry to anyone that liked it.

Ueno: The park here is nice, but the museum was a bit boring and the zoo was pretty sad, the conditions for the animals are a lot worse than they are in New Zealand, really small enclosures with depressed looking animals.

If you want a Japanese experience, I don't think Tokyo is such a great place. It's lost almost all of its Japanese feel, in my opinion, and places like Harajuku, Omotesando, Shinjuku, Shibuya, Akihabara, Ginza, all of these areas are only good if you want to buy clothes, appliances etc. they are not so great to visit. I'd recommend Kyoto or Osaka instead.

For shoppers though, Tokyo is the place to go.