LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
93sbrigg (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to 93sbrigg
Where to stay/go in Tokyo!? - 03-21-2007, 09:09 PM

Hey!
I'm going to tokyo in july for a month by myself and going to meet a friend who lives across there! I was wondering if anyone has any advice where the best places to stay are?(the nearest downtown area to my friend is Shibuya) I can maybe stay with her for a while but need a another place for at least 2 weeks! My friend also mentioned weekly/monthly flats but they seem really exspensive, does anyone know if they are worthwhile?
The other thing i need some help on is places to see while im there! My friend works during the week so i need something to do then, any ideas what you can do on your own? Is there any tours etc? Or vol/work during the week?

Thanks!

sAm
(#2 (permalink))
Old
enyafriend (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-25-2007, 08:22 AM

You lucky devil.....going to Japan for a month? I wish I could do that now.
Well, here you are - An Introduction To Tokyo.

There are plenty of things that you can do when you have a month to spend. But then again, as the most expensive city in the world, you may find your cash running out fast. Supposing money isn't that much of a problem here, but you still would like to be thrifty, gaijin house is a great place for a short term stay. Since you are not that familiar with things around you, you could make some friends here and listen to their stories and seek advice. If you'd like to experience staying japanese style, the the Ryokan, or Japanese Inn, would be good.

Tokyo has got a very complex rail system. For a newcomer, this can be quite confusing. Over time, you'd get the hang of it and will find it to very very reliable and convenient. This would be the most popular mode of transport in the city. It takes you everywhere.

Places of interest would includes:
SHIBUYA - a hip and trendy town for young people.
SHINJUKU - the heartbeat of Tokyo. Anything and everything can be found here.
GINZA - many major departmental stores and designer boutiques can be found here.
AKIHABARA - if you're into latest electronic gadgets from MP3 players to 42'' plasma TV, then this is the place.
ASAKUSA - famous Kannon Temple
UENO - lot's of museums, big parks, zoo and alleys of stalls selling varieties of goods.
And of course, there is the Tokyo Disneyland and for about 2 and a half hours away by bullet train, there is the Universal Studio in Osaka.

Well, good luck to you and have a great time.

Hokkaido e ikitai........
(#3 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

03-26-2007, 12:24 AM

Go to the Tokyo Metropolitan offices in Shinjuku first or soon after arrival. In Japanese it is just called Tokyo Tocho. It is connected to one of the Shinjuku exits (there are like over fourteen exits). In the base of the towers is an office for the Tokyo tourism board that has handouts on recommended sightseeing spots, directions on how to get there, free maps and brochures for hotels and the like.

To be honest, those weekly rates you are looking at may be a really good idea. If you are going to stay in a hostel or a capsule, it will may be around 4,000 yen a night. A nice hotel can cost you around 8,000 to 12,000 yen a night. Another thing to consider is whether or not you will be able to cook meals and wash clothes easily. Eating out every meal will get really costly and finding a place to do laundry might be a pain. But yeah, post the prices for those places you are looking at. If it is around four hundred for two weeks, that is about average for half a month's rent in Tokyo. Actually it is fairly cheap.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
luna2 (Offline)
HALO3 GAMER GIRL 4LIFE!

03-28-2007, 02:10 AM

i knw this is out of this thread but
how much money wuld u bring if u went to japan?

YOUR RIGHT NOTHING DOES LAST FOREVER, WE OBVIOUSLY PROVE THAT RIGHT

http://www.japanforum.com/forum/memb...-drawings.html
(#5 (permalink))
Old
ShibaInu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-28-2007, 11:36 PM

it's a good question, luna2...which i'm also interested in knowing the answer...

Japan does not understand very well that one of its proudest cultural achievements is in film--- Akira Kurosawa
(#6 (permalink))
Old
luna2 (Offline)
HALO3 GAMER GIRL 4LIFE!

03-28-2007, 11:46 PM

yesterday shibuinu-san(btw cute pic!!!!!!!)
i was lookin up on it on avreage amount to bring
nothin really came up but a yen exchange sheet
where US dollars turn into yen
so lyk $1= 117..somthin yen

(#7 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

03-29-2007, 02:57 AM

how? that depends on how long you are planning to stay or if you have a free place to stay.

things to be considered would be:

place to stay,
food, if you can survive with noodles only there are 100yen and less than noodles. Yoshinoya, and matsuya are also cheap way to eat.
train fare - cheap way would be to buy 1day tickets that can be used all throughout the day, usually starts from 500 yen - 3000yen, depending upon the coverage of the ticket.
souvenirs
entrance fees to place you might go ( most temples and museums have entrance free starting from 300-700yen )

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#8 (permalink))
Old
luna2 (Offline)
HALO3 GAMER GIRL 4LIFE!

03-29-2007, 02:58 AM

omg!
so expansiv now T_T
but how much wuld u bring if u were to go?

(#9 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

03-29-2007, 04:25 AM

for me, if I don't have a place to stay Ill probably bring $1000 for one week stay. I think that would be more than enough. But that just me. Oh i would not forget my credit card just to make sure . But if you have a place to stay, $200-$300 would be enough, that was my friend brought 2 years ago when she visited Japan.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#10 (permalink))
Old
luna2 (Offline)
HALO3 GAMER GIRL 4LIFE!

03-29-2007, 07:13 PM

wow ok
thats really ya
well dat means i gota go get a job then T_T