JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Lockon (Offline)
New to JF

Akihabara Help! - 05-17-2010, 03:04 PM

Hey guys, I'm going to Japan next week with 7 other people, and I need some advice. We are going for 4 days and we bought some tours already...Our hotel is in Shiba. Going to Tokyo Morning Tour on the second day, and Mt. Fuji tour on the third day.

Basically after the morning tour on the second day, they'll drop us off at Akihabara and do our own things from there for the rest of the afternoon.

I don't want the group walking aimlessly wasting our little time we have. We want to use the time efficiently, and these are some of questions:
(1)
Our problem is that our group age range from 20 to 70 years old, and I don't want my grandma to walk around doing nothing while the rest of us enjoying ourselves in Akihabara. I want to know if there some places my grandma can enjoy or rest while in Akihabara.

(2)
My uncle want to look/buy second handed camera. Any recommendation for which shops to go to?

(3)
My sister is a big gundam fan and she want her model kits and other related goods...Kotobukiya is the best place from what I heard/read, is this right?

(4)
I want to buy some JPN only PS3 games...which place to go to? I don't want to walk in some random shop full of eroge with my group...probably going to be big awkward moments.

Questions 1 and 2 might be null because we are going to Japan from Thailand, and 3 people in the group need their visa and the custom closed because of the protest/riot in Thailand. We don't know when it'll be open yet so we can go get their visa (The rest of us hold US passports visiting family in Thailand). This is it for now...I'll probably have some more questions later.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
clintjm (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-17-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockon View Post
Hey guys, I'm going to Japan next week with 7 other people, and I need some advice. We are going for 4 days and we bought some tours already...Our hotel is in Shiba. Going to Tokyo Morning Tour on the second day, and Mt. Fuji tour on the third day.

Basically after the morning tour on the second day, they'll drop us off at Akihabara and do our own things from there for the rest of the afternoon.

I don't want the group walking aimlessly wasting our little time we have. We want to use the time efficiently, and these are some of questions:
(1)
Our problem is that our group age range from 20 to 70 years old, and I don't want my grandma to walk around doing nothing while the rest of us enjoying ourselves in Akihabara. I want to know if there some places my grandma can enjoy or rest while in Akihabara.
Stick close to the station and the older crowd can enjoy the restaurants, bar, cafes in the "Akihabara Renewal" areas. They are quiet , classy cafes around the area of the station if they aren't interested in doing Akihabara. On the "renewal" side is are newer buildings that have floors of restaurants, cafes and other comtempary art , pop-art stuff. Basically the renewal side is on the right side as you exit the station, the original "maid" side of Akihabara is on the left as you exit. Use the station as a starting and meeting point. (Maps are there at the station too - in English - to an extend).

Grandma and Grandpa may not fancy a maid cafe... Most of the restaurants around Akihabara have an English menu and may speak English too. Walk up the street staying close to the shops and you'll find Mr. Donuts and MacDonalds; English friendly I believe.

Quote:
(2)
My uncle want to look/buy second handed camera. Any recommendation for which shops to go to?
Your in the right spot. Just look around. Close to the station will get it done.
If you can't find it in Akihabara, and easily, you'll never find it. However do look around, don't jump on the first place you see. Plus get an idea of what the market value of the camera you are looking for by going into the big name electronic stores.

Note you can negotiate in most shops in Akihabara to some degree. Unlike big name electronic stores.

Quote:
(3)
My sister is a big gundam fan and she want her model kits and other related goods...Kotobukiya is the best place from what I heard/read, is this right?

(4)
I want to buy some JPN only PS3 games...which place to go to? I don't want to walk in some random shop full of eroge with my group...probably going to be big awkward moments.
To get a good deal, you have to walk down and across the streets. To get a really good deal, off into the alleys you go. Hopefully you'll go on the weekdays. Weekends are a bit nuts. Akihabara is pretty huge. They should all be on the map at the station of the genre you looking for.

Some of the other question I can't ask directly. But if it exists, it is there in Akihabara. Just walk up the street for a couple of blocks and you should find it.

Surely there are some maps of Electric town Akihabara you can download ahead of time and get an idea before you go.

Here is a start. Welcome to Akihabara official Website

Good luck.

Last edited by clintjm : 05-17-2010 at 05:53 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-18-2010, 01:01 AM

Games are easily aquired anywhere, unless your looking for something rare which in the PS3's case isn't a problem.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-18-2010, 01:57 AM

The best place to go for second hand cameras is Shinjuku. There are numerous used camera shops within walking distance of Shinjuku Station. It's a little hard to describe where they are, but they are all located around the huge Yodobashi camera/electronics shop near the west exit to Shinjuku Station. Just look for the signs 中古カメラ (used camera). The stores to see are Map Camera, Kitamura Camera, Shinjuku Used Camera, and Camera Box.

There are a few used camera shops around Akihabara, but they have a much smaller selection than the places in Shinjuku. You can get to Shinjuku from Tokyo Station on the Chuo Line. You can get to Akihabara on the Yamanote Line. Both places are close to Tokyo Station.

There are also a few used camera shops in Ginza, but they tend to sell collector items which are rather overpriced. Nikon House is probably the best place to look if you like Nikon stuff.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
dirtyroboto (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-18-2010, 03:23 AM

There is a Gundam cafe just opened in Akihabara, close to UDX. You can't miss it as it looks like a Gundam.

Cameras! There is a 6 story bazaar with lots to see and some camera dealers. South exit, head right 50m then turn left into a shopping arcade. Look for stairs/lifts to get up to the other floors.

Granny! leave her in Yodabashi Akiba 8th floor resturant area also this huge store has a good Gundam model section (6th floor I think).
Also on the 6th floor is Gatcha Gatcha heaven, with a serious showing of these Gatcha machines.

A short walk and a touch more cultural is the Jinja dedicated to Confusious. Head towards Ochanamizu on the west side of Akiba, about 15 minutes walk at a fair pace.

In the old Akiba section many of the shops are very small and crowded, It is best not to go in these shops as a large group. split the group up for these shops.

Beware of shops displaying big Anime posters outside, these are mainly adult themed inside.

Use an online resource to plan your route before hand, print the route out and designate meeting places.

Try to visit the 100 yen shop in the station concourse, near Mcdonalds. You need to exit the south side, hard left into the concourse. This also takes you over to Yodabashi Akiba.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-18-2010, 03:43 AM

I hope there aren't those too young coming along, as it is very easy to stumble across very adult material mixed in with seemingly innocent stuff.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Lockon (Offline)
New to JF

05-18-2010, 03:47 PM

Thanks for the replies! That help a lot.

More questions:
Any specific shops you guys personally recommend or a must visit?

Game arcade...which one you guys recommend? I read there are a couple arcades in Akihabara: Club SEGA, GIGO SEGA, hey, and s@y.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
dirtyroboto (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-19-2010, 01:52 AM

The arcades are in the main drag or in the old part of Akiba. They all have many floors of which the ground (1st) will be UFO (crane game), There is normally a floor for medal games and a floor for card based games.

My personal haunt is in old Akiba in the same street as KFC (east/west) The upper floors have alot of space and a wide selection of games.
Taito is ok and Sega is a bit cramped.

Google Maps

And this is the shopping arcade with the 7 floors of goodies...
Google Maps

Last edited by dirtyroboto : 05-19-2010 at 01:55 AM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-19-2010, 01:56 AM

I found Shinjuku to have more arcades, for the most part you'll see SEGA

This one is worth it in Akiba

or Game Stations

Didn't see any in Akiba but there are still tons around

(#10 (permalink))
Old
Lockon (Offline)
New to JF

05-20-2010, 12:33 PM

I found an English map...not too many details, but is this good to start with?

http://www.akihabara-tour.com/en/map_en.pdf

I heard a good English map of Japan/Akihabara can be obtain at the Narita airport, is this true?

I got a question about taking pictures...Are there anything I should not do or need to do before taking a picture? They don't allow taking pictures in stores right?

Last edited by Lockon : 05-20-2010 at 12:35 PM.