JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Teris (Offline)
JF Regular

Decisions, decisions... - 05-27-2010, 04:13 PM

Hi everyone. My wife and I fly into Narita, arriving at about 9PM from the U.S. We are in Japan for 9 days. The plan was to go to Kyoto straight away and be there for three days (plus maybe a day trip), then head to Tokyo (again taking a day trip or two). The idea was that we'd go to Kyoto first, then have no real travel right before flying home because we'd already be based in Tokyo. We've booked all of our hotels except for the first night we get there. We are still debating whether to stay overnight by the airport and leave for Kyoto in the morning or just head to Kyoto as soon as we can get out of the airport. Has anyone done this? Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Wagamama (Offline)
JF Regular

05-27-2010, 06:07 PM

hey,just my 2cents but the flight itself is gonna be a killer if u were to take some sort of transporation to kyoto say a train/bus (especially a bus) its gonna be another pain in the arse well if u can do long trips i dont see why not because the sooner u reach kyoto the sooner u can sight-see
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-27-2010, 08:24 PM

It appears the last bullet train leaves TOKYO for KYOTO at 9:20 PM, so I think your best bet after such a long flight is take the Narita Express train to Tokyo station, find a hotel around there, and then head to Kyoto from TOKYO in the morning.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Teris (Offline)
JF Regular

05-28-2010, 02:21 PM

Thanks so much! I guess I should have checked the train schedule because that would have answered my question.

Edited to add: I had the wrong info. We actually arrive at Narita in the late afternoon, but we've decided to stay in Tokyo that first night and get to Kyoto in the morning. Now we just have to find a CHEAP hotel near Tokyo Station for the one night. Thanks to both of you.

Last edited by Teris : 05-30-2010 at 05:37 PM.