JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
superabbytcs (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to superabbytcs Send a message via MSN to superabbytcs Send a message via Yahoo to superabbytcs
Travel Questions - 05-28-2010, 03:22 PM

My parents and I would like to go to Japan for a month, mostly in Tokyo and Kyoto, and I had a few questions.

First, if we were in Kyoto for example and we just wanted to wander around and explore, would it be a good idea to have a GPS with us to keep from getting lost? I have read that street signs are often hard to find. If so, would we need to purchase a GPS from Japan or could we use one we bought in the U.S. ?

Secondly, what would be the most inexpensive way to eat? We would probably be staying at a youth hostel that includes breakfast, or provides breakfast inexpensively. Would bento and ramen be easiest and cheapest? Would it be cheaper to go to a grocery store and make our own food in a kitchen at our accommodation than eating out?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
superabbytcs (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to superabbytcs Send a message via MSN to superabbytcs Send a message via Yahoo to superabbytcs
05-28-2010, 03:23 PM

Also, what are sushi prices like in Tokyo generally?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
nobora (Offline)
Fan Ichigou

05-28-2010, 03:25 PM

Obentos are definatly the way to go and you can buy them in convince stores. I would take a gps .
(#4 (permalink))
Old
superabbytcs (Offline)
JF Regular

05-28-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobora View Post
Obentos are definatly the way to go and you can buy them in convince stores. I would take a gps .
Okay. Thank you for the helpful information.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
superabbytcs (Offline)
JF Regular

05-28-2010, 05:48 PM

Does anyone else have an opinion or tip?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
V1nn1 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-28-2010, 08:27 PM

I think it's possible to download a map of Kyoto from the internet for your GPS, if that's what you meant
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-28-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superabbytcs View Post
My parents and I would like to go to Japan for a month, mostly in Tokyo and Kyoto, and I had a few questions.

First, if we were in Kyoto for example and we just wanted to wander around and explore, would it be a good idea to have a GPS with us to keep from getting lost? I have read that street signs are often hard to find. If so, would we need to purchase a GPS from Japan or could we use one we bought in the U.S. ?

Secondly, what would be the most inexpensive way to eat? We would probably be staying at a youth hostel that includes breakfast, or provides breakfast inexpensively. Would bento and ramen be easiest and cheapest? Would it be cheaper to go to a grocery store and make our own food in a kitchen at our accommodation than eating out?
You do not need to buy a GPS, but if you have one that works in Japan, then it can't hurt. It's not easy to get lost in Kyoto, as there are maps all around, and you can ask for directions to anyplace as long as you know where you want to go.

Why would you go all the way to Japan to eat like a poor student? Instead of spending a month, spend two weeks and eat heartily. Two weeks is more than enough time to see everything you would want to see in Kyoto and Tokyo (and include a couple more cities on top of that as well).

Sushi prices range...there is no "general price". It depends on the restaurant.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-30-2010, 01:57 PM

Next to impossible to get lost in Tokyo, there are so many visable landmarks. There are maps here and there too.

Sushi price varries however an average lunch set at 800 yen gives you this

Spend around 1500 yen and you'll get this

However the lunch sets are a pretty good deal usually 2 options and priced 800 - 900.

(I ordered the rice extra, was only 200 yen)

Decent pad thai in Shibuya, place got packed 20 mins after I arrived.

Of all these were 800 yen lunch sets

(#9 (permalink))
Old
kittychan81 (Offline)
New to JF

06-18-2010, 03:32 PM

You can eat out so cheaply in Japan, definitely eat out!!! Noodle places or donburi places will be cheap, and no you don't need a gps
(#10 (permalink))
Old
AllYouCanJapan (Offline)
New to JF

Eating in Japan - 07-20-2010, 07:02 AM

Eating out in Japan can be extremely cheap, not just ramen. You don't have to worry, as you can seek out the budget options for almost every type of food. There is expensive high-end sushi but at the same time dirt cheap sushi that is fine as well.

Bentos are not worth the cost, especially for foreigners who are used to eating more than the Japanese do.

My blog has articles on Japanese food that can give you more ideas - Smart & Cheap Japan Travel