JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Teris (Offline)
JF Regular

Beyond the JR pass... - 06-01-2010, 06:01 PM

My wife and I will be spending most of our time during our 10 day stay in Tokyo and Kyoto, but we plan on doing some day trips to Nikko, Nara, Hiroshima. I was planning to get a Suica card for subways in Tokyo (and we already have JR passes), but I'm finding different information on whether it will work in Kyoto, Nikko, Nara and Hiroshima. Can someone please advise what would be the most convenient way to get around these cities? Thanks!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

06-02-2010, 12:08 AM

actually to those suica cards, pasmo , icoca are only prepaid cards. if you are going to be using a lot of the metro in tokyo, get the metro day pass , i think its about 790yen, it can be used on all metro subways except toei line.

the city buses in Kyoto will get you to almost everywhere, just get the day pass for about 500 yen.

jr pass can't be used on the trams in Hiroshima( i think). but if you are going to stay in the city for a day no need to get the 2-day pass there. but if you are planning to go to Itsukushima, then I recommend the 2-day pass which includes all the trams, ferry to itsukushima and the cable car as well.

In Kansai area, there is a pass called "Kansai Pass" which can be used all over kansai including Kobe, Himeji, Nara, Kyoto and I guess wakayama area. Try checking it out.

Enjoy your trip.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#3 (permalink))
Old
simple (Offline)
New to JF

Smile 06-02-2010, 12:40 AM

if you have a tourist visa, i recommended you to buy a rail pass.
if you are interested in buying, here is our agent price.

All Japan Rail Pass

TYPE Duration Price Adult Price Child
GREEN 7 Days 32,800 YEN 14,900 YEN
GREEN 14 Days 55,200 YEN 25,600 YEN
GREEN 21 Days 72,600 YEN 33,800 YEN

Ordinary 7 Days 22,300 YEN 10,150 YEN
Ordinary 14 Days 40,100 YEN 18,550 YEN
Ordinary 21 Days 53,700 YEN 23,850 YEN

if you are interested, mail me anytime or other members....
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Teris (Offline)
JF Regular

06-02-2010, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samokan View Post
actually to those suica cards, pasmo , icoca are only prepaid cards. if you are going to be using a lot of the metro in tokyo, get the metro day pass , i think its about 790yen, it can be used on all metro subways except toei line.

the city buses in Kyoto will get you to almost everywhere, just get the day pass for about 500 yen.

jr pass can't be used on the trams in Hiroshima( i think). but if you are going to stay in the city for a day no need to get the 2-day pass there. but if you are planning to go to Itsukushima, then I recommend the 2-day pass which includes all the trams, ferry to itsukushima and the cable car as well.

In Kansai area, there is a pass called "Kansai Pass" which can be used all over kansai including Kobe, Himeji, Nara, Kyoto and I guess wakayama area. Try checking it out.

Enjoy your trip.
Thanks samokan! So if we're traveling around Tokyo for 3-4 days, we're better off getting metro day passes rather than Suica? We aren't staying in Hiroshima, just visiting for the day. I guess we can use our JR pass to get there and back from Kyoto and then just pay for buses or subways as necessary. But can Suica be used there?

I'll look into the Kansai pass for our time in Kyoto, Himeji and Nara. Is that also a daily pass?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Teris (Offline)
JF Regular

06-02-2010, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post
if you have a tourist visa, i recommended you to buy a rail pass.
if you are interested in buying, here is our agent price.

All Japan Rail Pass

GREEN 7 Days 32,800 YEN 14,900 YEN
GREEN 14 Days 55,200 YEN 25,600 YEN
GREEN 21 Days 72,600 YEN 33,800 YEN

Ordinary 7 Days 22,300 YEN 10,150 YEN
Ordinary 14 Days 40,100 YEN 18,550 YEN
Ordinary 21 Days 53,700 YEN 23,850 YEN

if you are interested, mail me anytime or other members....
We already bought our JR rail passes. But your prices are cheaper!
(#6 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

06-02-2010, 02:09 AM

Think of the Suica card as a prepaid train card, where you can load a specific amount , the minimum would be 1000yen. Now, minimum fare for Metro is 150yen, so you can used be metro as long as you have a load. If you are only using the Metro once in a day then you only need to spend 150 yen.

On the other hand the day passes is fixed around 790 yen . By the time you used it, that pass is valid on that day until the last train. Think of it as a ride all you can on the Metro for a day without worrying wether you still have a load or not.

So it will now depend upon the frequency you will use the Metro, and u also have your JR passes.

I am not sure about Suica. it does not really matter just pay in cash its all the same anyway ... suica or not..

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-02-2010, 02:14 AM

I am of the thinking that unless you are really travelling all around all day, just buy the tickets you need as needed. I spent a week in Tokyo earlier this year and never spent 790 yen in a day on the train, so the daily pass would have been a waste of money for me. .
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Teris (Offline)
JF Regular

06-02-2010, 02:21 AM

That makes perfect sense. Thanks to both of you!
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Japanist (Offline)
New to JF

06-02-2010, 09:20 AM

Hi there,

For Nikko, Nara and Hiroshima, your best bet is getting the bus from the station. In Nara, it's unlikely you'll even need it as most things are within walking distance, but in Hiroshima, chances are you'll have a much easier time by getting on a bus.

As for prices, you can get a pass, or simply hop on. In my case, I've always hopped on buses and paid the fair - this way I can spend as much time as I like at each place, and not feel like I've got to move on to make the most of the day pass.

Japanese buses are easy to get on, but it can be tough to know which stop to get off on so keep your eyes peeled!

Best,

J

--
Japan Rail Pass - buy the JR Pass online
Information about the Japan Rail Pass
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Teris (Offline)
JF Regular

06-02-2010, 02:30 PM

That's very helpful. Thank you!