JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Teris (Offline)
JF Regular

Last minute advice for Japan trip! - 05-30-2010, 05:03 PM

My wife and I leave Thursday for our trip. We're really excited, but have not enough time to prepare. I have a bunch of questions.

1. Can someone please recommend a cheap hotel very close to Tokyo Station? My wife and I are staying there overnight after our flight from the US into Marita. We leave early for Kyoto the next day, so don't want to pay a lot for the hotel.

2. We have 7 day rail passes, so we can use those for the Narita Express to Tokyo Station, I believe. Do any hotels have free shuttles from Narita into Tokyo that would make more sense than activating our JR passes right away?

3. I've heard different things about how difficult it is to get cash at ATMs and banks in Japan and whether places usually accept credit cards. How much cash would you recommend that we bring?

4. Should we covert currency in the US or wait until we get to Japan?

5. If you have a moment, please review our itinerary and let me know if it makes sense. We arrive and leave from Narita.

Day 1: Arrive Narita. Narita Express, hotel shuttle or limousine bus to Tokyo Station. Stay in hotel near Tokyo Station (recommendations for hotel?).
Day 2: Using JR pass, go to Kyoto in morning, check into Super Hotel Kyoto Shijo Kawaramachi. Walk around Kyoto.
Day 3: Kyoto
Day 4: Using JR pass, day trip to Hiroshima (stopping at Himeji despite construction).
Day 5: Kyoto, check into Ryokan Shimizu.
Day 6: Using JR pass, leave Kyoto for Tokyo, check into Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku. Spend day in Tokyo.
Day 7: Tokyo
Day 8: Nikko (last day of JR pass if activate on Day 1)
Day 9: Tokyo
Day 10: Hang around Tokyo, head to Narita and fly home in evening

Thanks so much for any information you can provide!!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-30-2010, 05:35 PM

2. There may be hotels with shuttles, but that is over an hour drive, so no "cheap hotels" would offer that service. Really, getting from airport to Tokyo station couldn't be easier, but if you want to wait on activating your rail pass you could look at taking a limousine bus.

Tokyo Station and Nihombashi - Narita Airport | Scheduled Bus Services | Airport Limousine Bus

The limo bus goes directly to several hotels near Tokyo station.

3. I would bring about 1500 in cash and use credit cards at hotels and restaurants where you can.

4. Change your cash into yen before you go. That's one less thing you will have to worry about when you get to Japan.

5. A day trip to Hiroshima with a stop at Himeji is going to be a day with 3+ hours spent on the train. Doable, (and I like riding the bullet train) but just FYI.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Teris (Offline)
JF Regular

05-30-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
2. There may be hotels with shuttles, but that is over an hour drive, so no "cheap hotels" would offer that service. Really, getting from airport to Tokyo station couldn't be easier, but if you want to wait on activating your rail pass you could look at taking a limousine bus.

Tokyo Station and Nihombashi - Narita Airport | Scheduled Bus Services | Airport Limousine Bus

The limo bus goes directly to several hotels near Tokyo station.

3. I would bring about 1500 in cash and use credit cards at hotels and restaurants where you can.

4. Change your cash into yen before you go. That's one less thing you will have to worry about when you get to Japan.

5. A day trip to Hiroshima with a stop at Himeji is going to be a day with 3+ hours spent on the train. Doable, (and I like riding the bullet train) but just FYI.
Thanks MMM!! If we decide to just activate the rail pass for the Narita Express to Tokyo station, should we try to book seats before even going to Japan or book at Narita?

Yea, we wondered about that Hiroshima day trip, but it just feels like something we should do while we're there. Thanks for the info! You are always very helpful.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-30-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teris View Post
Thanks MMM!! If we decide to just activate the rail pass for the Narita Express to Tokyo station, should we try to book seats before even going to Japan or book at Narita?

Yea, we wondered about that Hiroshima day trip, but it just feels like something we should do while we're there. Thanks for the info! You are always very helpful.
No, you should have no problem walking straight onto the Narita Express from the airport. No reservations needed. Though, the limo bus will be more convenient if you choose to stay at one of the hotels it stops at. Cheaper, too.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Teris (Offline)
JF Regular

05-30-2010, 07:10 PM

We found a hotel near Tokyo Station. Here is our slightly revised itinerary. Please let me know what you think! Thanks everyone.

Day 1: Arrive Narita. Activate JR pass and take Narita Express, hotel shuttle or limousine bus to Tokyo Station. Stay in Hotel Ryumeikan Tokyo near Tokyo Station.
Day 2: JR pass to Kyoto in morning, check into Super Hotel Kyoto Shijo Kawaramachi. Walk around Kyoto.
Day 3: Kyoto
Day 4: JR pass day trip to Hiroshima (stopping at Himeji despite construction).
Day 5: Kyoto, check into Ryokan Shimizu.
Day 6: JR pass to Tokyo, check into Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku. Spend day in Tokyo.
Day 7: Nikko (last day of JR pass)
Day 8: Tokyo
Day 9: Tokyo
Day 10: Hang around Tokyo, take Narita Express (or bus) to Narita, fly home in evening.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

05-31-2010, 07:49 AM

from Kyoto, i would recommend to going directly to Nikko.
BTW, temples in Nikko closes around 4pm.

there is also a japanese theme park there called Edowonderland. I recommend you visit it. It is like you going back to Old japan. you can also dressed up(rent) different kind of costumes inside.

check out the Tobu Railway (Nikko Pass) , i think it would be cheaper to use them rather than the JR railway pass.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Teris (Offline)
JF Regular

05-31-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samokan View Post
from Kyoto, i would recommend to going directly to Nikko.
BTW, temples in Nikko closes around 4pm.

there is also a japanese theme park there called Edowonderland. I recommend you visit it. It is like you going back to Old japan. you can also dressed up(rent) different kind of costumes inside.

check out the Tobu Railway (Nikko Pass) , i think it would be cheaper to use them rather than the JR railway pass.
Thanks for the reply! So you would go from Kyoto to Nikko for the day, then go to Tokyo that night? Why do you suggest that? We could do that, but we'd have all of our luggage with us (unless we sent that to the hotel separately). We have already paid for the JR rail pass, so unless I'm mistaken, I don't think it will cost us anything extra to use it to go to Nikko. Edowonderland sounds very interesting, Thanks for mentioning it!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-31-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teris View Post
Thanks for the reply! So you would go from Kyoto to Nikko for the day, then go to Tokyo that night? Why do you suggest that? We could do that, but we'd have all of our luggage with us (unless we sent that to the hotel separately). We have already paid for the JR rail pass, so unless I'm mistaken, I don't think it will cost us anything extra to use it to go to Nikko. Edowonderland sounds very interesting, Thanks for mentioning it!
Nikko is an overnight trip. That is the appeal.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

05-31-2010, 08:08 AM

nah it was just a suggestion, you can follow your iterinary it is convenient to you. Lugguages is not a problem, coin lockers are everywhere

only a day in nikko?

i mentioned the tobu railway pass, because you can a get some discount using it around nikko. but if you are just visiting the temples and within that area, then i think JR railway pass will suffice

My Japan Life

(#10 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

05-31-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Nikko is an overnight trip. That is the appeal.
definitely an overnight trip

My Japan Life