JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
mousee09 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Becoming An Exchange Student this Fall 2010 - 06-08-2010, 06:39 PM

I am just kinda wondering if there are any people here, who are becoming exchange students at Ritsumeikan University or any other college near Kyoto or you can be from another college located in Japan this Fall 2010.

I have a few questions to ask you.

How long are you guys staying? (1 semester or full year)
Student visa process....? yeah....
Have you heard back from the college you are applying yet?
Did you receive the Jasso Scholarship?
Estimation of how much money you think would be enough for a full year?
Your packing plans
Are you buying or already have one a electronic Japanese-English translator? (trying to find a good one)

Thanks in advance
(#2 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

06-08-2010, 07:08 PM

I'm currently waiting for some type of letter or email from Temple University in Tokyo with my acceptance decision.

How long are you staying?: Well, I plan on staying a full year (2 semesters), but if I end up liking the country I'll do another year, in which I'll have finished my degree. I've been granted GI Bill benefits to pay for my schooling for the next two years, so I figured I'd try out a year at least in Japan.

Student Visa process?:Temple made it so easy any idiot could do it. All I had to do was fill out a double sided piece of paper with basic information. Temple will process it for me, and if approved all I have to do is visit my local Japanese embassy and finalize the approval.

Have you heard back from the college yet?:
I've been told I'll be hearing from them within this coming week with my decision.

Did you receive the Jasso Scholarship?:I honestly didn't care to apply for any scholarships. The GI Bill is covering my tuition and books, so I had other important things going on than maybe pocketing some extra cash.

Estimation of how much money you think will be enough for a full year?:
Temple offered a base price of about 30,000 dollars as the estimate for a student to live a modest life, including tuition, housing, food, entertainment, etc. Without tuition and books, I assume you're probably looking at around 10-15K in basic neccesities over a year. All of this depends on the standard of living, so that's fairly modest in my opinion, but if you're happy with ramen everyday and a roof over your head, then you really can't complain.

Your packing plans?:
A military duffel bag for my clothes, and a large suitcase for random loose end neccesities (spare shoes, soaps, a book or two, etc).

Electronic translator?:
Even though my Japanese is less than stellar, I'm just gonna wing it.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
mousee09 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-08-2010, 07:45 PM

Cool thanks for replying back so quickly, I'm in the same boat as you.

I am also stayiing for 2 semesters (full Year)
I will hear back from my university sometime this week too. They will also sent me my student visa papers and let me know if I recieved the Jasso scholarship as well.

I recieved another scholarship and I have now covered all my expenses with money left over, but I am trying to figure around how much should I bring with me.
wow $10,000 to $15,000 for a year. I really hope I get that scholarship. I just want to make sure I am able to buy food,travel and have transporation.

I am trying to decide whether I want a prepaid cellphone or contact phone while im there...i might need to stick with a prepaid or rent cellphone.

I know hiragana, im learning katakanta, and 1st grade kanji...and i basicallly know how to have a very light conversation. I can ask alot of questions tho ^_^

I am definitely getting an electionic dictionary!

I was thinking about leaving earlier like in August to stay for a weeks in Tokyo before college, because I was going to stay with a friend but I'm starting to think that is a bad idea.... I need to perserve all the money I can.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
JF Noob

06-08-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousee09 View Post
wow $10,000 to $15,000 for a year. I really hope I get that scholarship. I just want to make sure I am able to buy food,travel and have transporation.
That may sound like a lot, but I'm sure this is assuming you'll have access to some kind of monthly income (unless you're very wealthy and just have 15K sitting in a bank).
If your school will let you stay at their dorms for the entire year, then you've already gotten the hardest thing out of the way.

Quote:
I am trying to decide whether I want a prepaid cellphone or contact phone while im there...i might need to stick with a prepaid or rent cellphone.
I don't think that's something you should worry about too much. You'll always have email until you can arrange something.

Quote:
I know hiragana, im learning katakanta, and 1st grade kanji...and i basicallly know how to have a very light conversation. I can ask alot of questions tho ^_^.
I'm at about the same level as you. Fortunately, I'm actually required to study Japanese every semester for my major, so I'll be able to reinforce what I already know but also have a good, structured environment to help me ease into the more difficult concepts.

Quote:
I am definitely getting an electionic dictionary!
I myself can't justify the prices companies charge for them. If I can access a translating app offline via my iPhone, I'll just make sure to download that before I leave.

Quote:
I was thinking about leaving earlier like in August to stay for a weeks in Tokyo before college, because I was going to stay with a friend but I'm starting to think that is a bad idea.... I need to perserve all the money I can.
Granted, my school is located in Tokyo, but I'll be leaving no earlier than a week before school starts. The dorms aren't open until then, and I don't want to have to pay for a hotel any longer than I have to. My advice would be to probably hold off on visiting your friend if you're not sure. You're going to be there for an entire year, and I'm sure you'll have plenty of school organized trips (or even your own holiday breaks) in which you can make your way over to Tokyo at a more convenient time.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
mousee09 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-09-2010, 12:35 AM

Yeah I'm enrolling in beginner japanese while Im there

I actually found a really nice electronic dictinary for a decent price.

I was thinking of trying to bringing b/w 3k to 4k with me, but im not sure if that will be enough

living expenses, food,apartment, tution, program fees, books, plane tickets everything is covered by my scholarships and loans.

I can not really deplend on my parents to send me money every month due to my mother being the only working. My father lost his job last september.

Do you know the exact date in september, when you will arrive?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
JF Noob

06-09-2010, 01:10 AM

I actually think the semester I would be attending starts in late August.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
mousee09 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-09-2010, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
I actually think the semester I would be attending starts in late August.
Wow really???? my college does not start until late september 27 to beginning of August 2011.

Have you already purchase your plane tickets already? I going to buy a one way ticket. studentuniverse.com is a nice cheap flight site for people who are under 25 years old

What classes are you plannning on taking?
(#8 (permalink))
Old
JF Noob

06-09-2010, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Wow really???? my college does not start until late september 27 to beginning of August 2011.

Have you already purchase your plane tickets already? I going to buy a one way ticket. studentuniverse.com is a nice cheap flight site for people who are under 25 years old

What classes are you plannning on taking?
Yeah, I double checked an the fall semester starts August 30, so if I'm accepted I guess I'll try and get in around August 20 because I forgot I need to take some placement exams and other formalities.

I haven't bought a ticket yet because I don't know if I got in, but if I do then I'm planning on buying an open ended ticket. I don't know if I'm allowed to stay in Japan over the summer on a student visa if I'm not taking classes, but with an open ended ticket, I can have the option to either leave the country or get a refund on my return ticket if I'm allowed to stay.

Because I'm changing my major from International Business to International Relations, I assume I'll just be replacing my Accounting and Marketing classes with Political Science and some type of Cultural Studies. Then I'll be studying Japanese, of course.

Because I've already spent two years in college, finishing my core classes, the rest of what I'll be doing in Japan will be classes towards my major and some electives, which will be great!
(#9 (permalink))
Old
mousee09 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-09-2010, 01:34 PM

An open ended ticket sounds like a good idea too me, I might need to consider doing that.

I am a studio art major and international track minor. Most of the classes I will be taking will hopefully fulfill my international track and maybe one of my core classes.

I am taking tea ceremony, calligraphy, international relations, japanese 1 and 2, japan culture,Wagashi (Japanese Confectionary), japan and United State relationship, and Japanese society.

I will still be having classes during the summer months as well, but that will be fine I dont have too many classes to have to worry about.

I was thinking about getting a job while I was there, the college that I go to provide jobs for exchange student. English related jobs however but that will be fine, as long as it does not take away from my travel time .
(#10 (permalink))
Old
mousee09 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-10-2010, 12:57 PM

I just heard back from the university in Japan. I got accepted! YAY! now im just waiting on the packet so that i can get the student visas papers and know if i got the jasso scholarship!