JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
SOULO (Offline)
New to JF

Japanese Rail Pass - 01-11-2010, 09:42 AM

Hi there, could anyone tell me what the Japanese Rail Pass covers. Does it let you travel on all rail networks or is it restricted. I noticed ther is private rail networks and was not sure if the rail pass allowed travel on those.

Thanks

Soulo
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-11-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOULO View Post
Hi there, could anyone tell me what the Japanese Rail Pass covers. Does it let you travel on all rail networks or is it restricted. I noticed ther is private rail networks and was not sure if the rail pass allowed travel on those.

Thanks

Soulo
Japan Rail Pass only cover JR rails. This is not all rails, so indeed, you would be restricted.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
jbradfor (Offline)
JF Regular

01-11-2010, 02:34 PM

They are also not valid on the NOZOMI trains (the fastest of the Shinkansen).

Full details here: JAPAN RAIL PASS validity
(#4 (permalink))
Old
stuniq (Offline)
New to JF

01-11-2010, 05:49 PM

You can't use it on the Tokyo subway either. But JR does have a network around Tokyo. I just used the subway coz I found it easier and it was cheap anyway. The JR pass is most useful for lots of long distance trips.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Tripsis (Offline)
New to JF

06-03-2010, 10:14 PM

If i'm looking to only go to a few places outside of Tokyo, day trips at the most, is it easier, or cheaper, NOT to get a japan rail pass?

I would only be looking to go to a few locations just outside of Tokyo but nowhere further and i don't see the need on spending so much on a JR pass if im only gonna use it once or twice.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-03-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripsis View Post
If i'm looking to only go to a few places outside of Tokyo, day trips at the most, is it easier, or cheaper, NOT to get a japan rail pass?

I would only be looking to go to a few locations just outside of Tokyo but nowhere further and i don't see the need on spending so much on a JR pass if im only gonna use it once or twice.
Yes. I would say if you are not planning on going to another city using the shinkansen, then chances are you will be wasting money on a rail pass. I was recently in Tokyo, and rode subways (NOT covered by the rail pass) more often than JR trains.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Tripsis (Offline)
New to JF

06-04-2010, 02:51 AM

Phew thats good to know, didnt want to spend even more money on this trip than i had to.
Would you happen to know roughly how much for a trip outside of tokyo to neighbouring areas?
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-04-2010, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripsis View Post
Phew thats good to know, didnt want to spend even more money on this trip than i had to.
Would you happen to know roughly how much for a trip outside of tokyo to neighbouring areas?
It really just depends on the location. If you know where you want to go it will be easier to give an answer.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Tripsis (Offline)
New to JF

06-04-2010, 03:21 AM

I'll most likely be staying in the Kanto region during this trip, I did have the places jotted down somewhere but for the life of me can't seem to find it. it'll be mostly any places of interest in Kanto with the obvious exception of Tokyo.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

06-04-2010, 06:54 AM

if by the time you got to Japan and the 18Kippu is available , it would save you a lot using it, rather than the JR railway pass.

also if you are going around Kanto are , check out the DoNichi Kippu( Weekend Pass ).

other available passes are , Tobu Railway Pass for Nikko/Tochigi area,
the Odakyu Pass for Hakone-Yumoto Area

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------