JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Marko (Offline)
New to JF

Going to Japan in July - 06-06-2010, 02:21 PM

Visiting Japan for the first time in early July, going from Copenhagen to Amsterdam, transferring to a direct flight to Narita airport

I´m going alone tough, anyone got any tips on how to get local friends in Japan, otherwise I will simply lull around Tokyo for two weeks and after a week that might be boring.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-06-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko View Post
Visiting Japan for the first time in early July, going from Copenhagen to Amsterdam, transferring to a direct flight to Narita airport

I´m going alone tough, anyone got any tips on how to get local friends in Japan, otherwise I will simply lull around Tokyo for two weeks and after a week that might be boring.
What are the goals for your trip? Why are you going?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Marko (Offline)
New to JF

06-06-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
What are the goals for your trip? Why are you going?
The short answer is "Because I can"

But the longer one for those that are actually interested is because it will be my first "own" vacation as an adult that I have paid for with only my own money, so I might aswell go somewere far away that is not an underdeveloped country.

Next is that I want to see Hiroshima, I´m nuts for history.

Third, from what I have seen of Tokyo in pictures it simply tells me that this is a place I must visit once in a life time.

The list goes on and on, but I am supposed to stay for two weeks so a bit of fun with some local people of my age might be a blast also I am always on the hunt for lasting friends, just because one another lives on the other side of the world you can still talk (through the net).

The list goes on and on but I rather not bore you.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-06-2010, 08:36 PM

I think it would be easier to make friends online and then meet up with them in Japan rather than the other way around.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Marko (Offline)
New to JF

06-06-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I think it would be easier to make friends online and then meet up with them in Japan rather than the other way around.
Possibly, that is also one of the reasons I signed on this forum.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
AllYouCanJapan (Offline)
New to JF

Thumbs up Good luck! - 06-17-2010, 10:45 AM

You will not regret choosing Japan as your travel destination!

If you are alone, check out couchsurfing - you could stay for free at people's houses and make friends.

And don't worry, a couple nights out in Tokyo (Shibuya, Roppongi areas) and you will meet people in no time. Try some foreign bars like Hub's.

If you like history, Hiroshima is a good choice, as well as Nara and Kyoto.
Although 2 weeks in Tokyo will not bore you!! I usually recommend at least 3 weeks there.

There are some useful tips on my blog which you can check out - Smart & Cheap Japan Travel. The book that is coming out shows how to travel in Japan the right way and do so economically.