JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
VitalStatistic (Offline)
Mika Mika

Send a message via AIM to VitalStatistic Send a message via Yahoo to VitalStatistic
Can a foreigner have dyed hair in Japanese schools? - 06-10-2010, 04:06 PM

I will be visiting Japan next month and will go to school for a few days with my host family and I wasn't sure if it was okay if I had dyed hair or not. I've always had it dyed since I can remember and I am going to have my hair redone before I go. I've researched some and saw that you can't wear make up or have you hair colored, etc. Just wanted to ask and see if anyone knew because I don't want the school officials getting upset with me about it.

(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-10-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitalStatistic View Post
I will be visiting Japan next month and will go to school for a few days with my host family and I wasn't sure if it was okay if I had dyed hair or not. I've always had it dyed since I can remember and I am going to have my hair redone before I go. I've researched some and saw that you can't wear make up or have you hair colored, etc. Just wanted to ask and see if anyone knew because I don't want the school officials getting upset with me about it.
If you are only going for a few days, I very much doubt they will expect you to follow the uniform code. Especially as chances are you`re not going to have a school uniform (another thing that is normally necessary for a student.)
I would follow the rules within reason - no makeup, jewelry, etc - but they`re not going to expect you to change everything for what is no more than a visit.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
VitalStatistic (Offline)
Mika Mika

Send a message via AIM to VitalStatistic Send a message via Yahoo to VitalStatistic
06-10-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
If you are only going for a few days, I very much doubt they will expect you to follow the uniform code. Especially as chances are you`re not going to have a school uniform (another thing that is normally necessary for a student.)
I would follow the rules within reason - no makeup, jewelry, etc - but they`re not going to expect you to change everything for what is no more than a visit.
Okay thank you

(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-10-2010, 05:11 PM

How dyed is it? If you are having it done again before you go, I would suggest a subdued, natural looking color. I don't think a green or purple would be appreciated.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-13-2010, 02:03 PM

I say go wild and dye it something dramatic. The kids would probably love it and who cares what the teachers think! Be good for them to have something a little different, if only for a short while.