JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
OdinN (Offline)
New to JF

1st Trip in sept - 06-21-2010, 03:40 PM

Hi all
I'm going to be in japan for about 2 weeks with a couple of friends and this is our 1st time to japan. We got our tickets sorted and planning to get the JR pass about 2 weeks prior to flying. We're planning to spend a couple of days at each major cities like Tokyo, Kyoto Osaka. Any ideas on things to do and places to see???
Cheers
(#2 (permalink))
Old
AllYouCanJapan (Offline)
New to JF

Sounds like fun! - 06-23-2010, 03:34 PM

Hey,

You guys are going to have a blast. September is also a nice time, though it still might be slightly hot in the beginning of the month.

If your interest is the major cities, you will need more time in Tokyo. Out of the 2 weeks I'd say at least 5 days. Then you can take the bullet train to Hiroshima for one night, and work your way back to Tokyo through Kyoto, Osaka, Kobe, etc.

If you give us a better idea of what you are looking for, people here would be able to give you specific sites to visit.

Meanwhile, I suggest you take a look at my blog (Smart & Cheap Japan Travel) where you can get ideas on things to do and see and stuff to eat (food should be one of your main focuses on your trip to Japan!)

Josh
(#3 (permalink))
Old
HangukTeacher (Offline)
New to JF

06-24-2010, 01:06 AM

I was wondering where did you purchase your tickets from? I've been considering going back to my home country of Korea but wasn't sure of a good website to search for international flights to Asia.

Last edited by HangukTeacher : 08-15-2010 at 09:32 PM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Rig (Offline)
New to JF

07-20-2010, 04:50 AM

What did you pay for your tickets? And, where did you get them from?

My gf and I will be traveling over there in September, and I haven't purchased the tickets yet. I'm really bad about making sure I get the *best* deal.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
willgoestocollege (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-20-2010, 04:56 AM

Expedia is a good website to make bookings on flights, hotels etc.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Rig (Offline)
New to JF

07-20-2010, 08:16 PM

All of the major sites (Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, Kayak, etc.) seem to hover nonstop flights from $1300-1600 including all tax. I see 1-stop flights for $1100-$1400. I may just have to "bite the bullet" and grab a flight. Been watching since April, and haven't really seen the price rise or fall much.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Neffiline (Offline)
JF Regular

07-22-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdinN View Post
Hi all
I'm going to be in japan for about 2 weeks with a couple of friends and this is our 1st time to japan. We got our tickets sorted and planning to get the JR pass about 2 weeks prior to flying. We're planning to spend a couple of days at each major cities like Tokyo, Kyoto Osaka. Any ideas on things to do and places to see???
Cheers
As silly as it sounds, Tokyo Tower was my favorite in Tokyo. :3 If I remember correctly it's about 800Y, super cheap!

I really liked just walking around the different areas too, I was fascinated. Shibuya, Shinjuku, Harajuku, etc, etc.

(#8 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

07-22-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig View Post
What did you pay for your tickets? And, where did you get them from?

My gf and I will be traveling over there in September, and I haven't purchased the tickets yet. I'm really bad about making sure I get the *best* deal.
Waiting any longer than now and your tickets are going to skyrocket.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#9 (permalink))
Old
inthemix (Offline)
New to JF

07-22-2010, 08:57 PM

I would seriously consider joining USAirways mile programs.

The do not fly to Japan, but you can buy miles from them at 100% bonus right now.

So basicly, for $825 (60k miles) plus fees and taxes you can fly United or ANA economy.

Or, $1250 (90k miles) plus fees and taxes gets you Business class on United or ANA.

Sound too good to be true, I just booked that way- for May though. I had some miles already, but we ended up having to buy lots of miles and still got our Business seats from Chicago for way, way less than coach seats go for.

This is how you do it:

1) sign up for free mileage account at US Airways site
2) call US Airways and see if any award travel is avilable on your dates. If so, they can reserve your tickets for 72 hours at no charge, giving you enough time to buy miles
3) Buy miles online (must be before July 31) and call them back to purchase
4) Go to UA or ANA website to pick your seat.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Rig (Offline)
New to JF

07-27-2010, 02:58 AM

I actually got our tickets a couple nights back. Got the last two at a nice price from IACE. So, we'll be flying JAL. I'm glad that's finally over!